RCCL "formal" defined as "cocktail" ???s

Frankly,Darling

Hi, all! I'm embarking on my very first cruise; it's on the RCCL Liberty to the western Carribean beginning March 7th. I'm a bit stumped with RCCL's definition of formal, which they say for women is cocktail attire. I've always understood cocktail attire to mean a dressy knee-length dress and a formal gown usually to be floor length. Ahh, so which is it? Cocktail is my preference, as that is what I own. In many of the pictures posted in this section, women are wearing full length gowns. (BTW, I'm in my early 30s, if that makes a difference as to appropriateness.)

You will see both. I prefer shorter length myself, just easier to pack and I feel like I look better in that length.

I almost wish they would give it a different name, since cruise formal is not what it used to be on main stream lines. It's more semi-formal, very few men wear tuxes any longer and many women are opting for less formal dresses, even the long ones aren't really very formal.

I think most of the mass-marketed lines started to include cocktail dresses in formal wear a while back to widen the acceptable dresscode. Since the airlines have imposed fees for checked luggages (except SWA, who I personally love), more and more people are paring down from what they would have previously packed years ago for the same cruise today. And more women would probably get more use out of a cocktail dress than a gown - at least that's the case where I live. I'm also not seeing as many heavily beaded dresses (long or short) as I did on my first couple of cruises.

There are many more cocktail dress options that I like over gowns or full length, so I am thankful/grateful that when we sail a line that has true formal nights, I can choose them over a long dress.

Truly, times have changed right in step with the airlines luggage restrictions. Who can afford an entire suitcase that can accommodate a ball gown? Along with the tux and all of the accoutrements that it requires? For those people who have the luxury of being able to drive to their port, then no holds barred, you'll see them dressed, exquisitely. For those of us who fly into port, you'll see that there's a lot of mix 'n match going on.... various sequined jackets over skirts or some way to alter the feel of an outfit so that one dress can do double-duty, especially on longer cruises.

Bottom line... if you feel elegant and you'd mix into a cocktail party, you'll feel adequately dressed on formal night for RCCL.

Thanks, ladies! Cocktail it is. I do have another question on shoes for formal night. Would a pair of shiny black patent flat sandals be acceptable for formal night? They aren't something I'd wear for formal-formal, but would be something I'd wear back home for summer cocktail attire, which I'm gathering is what the theme would be on a Caribbean cruise. Thoughts? I don't want to be too casual as to feel unsophisticated. With all the walking around the ship, I'd like to be able to do just that, as well as dance in them afterwards!

Thanks, ladies! Cocktail it is. I do have another question on shoes for formal night. Would a pair of shiny black patent flat sandals be acceptable for formal night?

Flat sandals would be fine, as long as they were appropriate with your dress.

I've been on a couple Royal Caribbean cruises, formal can mean anything from dressy cocktail (knee length) dress to full formal gown. I personally opt for full length formal gown just because I have formal gowns and very little occasion at home to use them. Boyfriend just purchased a tuxedo (great deal from etuxedo.com) so he'll be wearing a tux for the first time...other cruises he wore a suit and tie. Oh yes, we live Florida and will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale with a car load of suitcases and dive gear bags :-) So I do tend to overpack :-)

Archived