Sailing with a large charter group on board - should we switch?

librarylady19

Actually, I have not switched. I do appreciate all the input from all of you and will keep my options open for now.

Oh, I'm sorry for making that assumption! I misread the roll call.

In any event, I thank you for the respect and consideration you bring to your questions.

I want to be on YOUR cruise, Squiddy. Not only could I dance all night with you guys, but I work for a major company with a huge creative staff--which means lots of gay folks--and they are the MOST FUN. Even my DH completely agrees with me...:)

I want to be on YOUR cruise, Squiddy. Not only could I dance all night with you guys, but I work for a major company with a huge creative staff--which means lots of gay folks--and they are the MOST FUN. Even my DH completely agrees with me...:)

Come join me on Summit, 5/30/2010, to Bermuda! It's a Pied Piper group cruise, but a smaller one. However, I have a baby now and my days of dancing all night are a bit behind me. This will be my son's first cruise. He'll be nine months old. Do you think we waited too long?:D

I'll party with you, LibraryLady! Based on the one Pied Piper cruise I've been on, I think squidward painted a fairly accurate picture of what to expect with the larger Pied Piper groups. I don't think anyone had a cow bell on the dance floor on my cruise though. lol

To clarify, the comedy night that I referenced happened at midnight in the main theater. I don't think it would have been in use otherwise.

Don't re-book. Trust me, you'll definitely have more fun on your cruise with us onboard.

Nothing like posting misinformation about the OP's situation!

I'll stick by my stand.

And, to set the record straight, It was I who already moved along with several others. And my primo cabin for this 11/28 cruise was already scoffed up by some of the group. They delighted in letting this be known.

I rest my case. Have fun!

I've sailed as part of a Pied Piper group on several occasions. Usually it's less than 50 passengers, but the post-TG cruise is their biggest.

With Pied Piper on board, you may notice the following differences on your cruise:

1. The dance floor is full EVERY night, until the wee hours. And someone will have a cow bell.

2. Formal nights are amazing. Bring your cameras, or no one back home will believe you.

3. Getting a seat by the pool in the morning is easier. See #1 above - many group members are out late at night and sleep in the next day.

4. You'll never drink alone. There will always be people at every bar, 24/7.

5. You haven't lived until you see a middle-aged bearded man with a paunch warble a Judy Garland torch song at Karaoke night.

I could go on. Point is: You might actually enjoy your cruise more with a Pied Piper group on board.;)

Squiddy

It sounds like a lot of fun!

I think that is a personal choice, what may bother you may not bother others and vice-versa. I would love the dancing and what not that is stated as "fun" but the downside is access to things I would use.

I have heard that this can block special dining, some lounges, and take up some of the staff's time (the ones that would otherwise be doing some activities).

For the price of a cruise, all of the above would bother me - especially the dining issue.

I think that is a personal choice, what may bother you may not bother others and vice-versa.

I have heard that this can block special dining, some lounges, and take up some of the staff's time (the ones that would otherwise be doing some activities).

For the price of a cruise, all of the above would bother me - especially the dining issue.

We talked a little bit about what to expect on the 11/28 Solstice roll call thread, because these are valid concerns. On past cruises, there haven't been any group events in the specialty dining rooms and the pools have been all-access, all the time. PP does some events in public spaces (the theater, the disco) at times when they are likely to have very few users: mid-afternoons or at midnight. Many of the group events are held in ports. None of the theater shows are blocked out. We don't take over the ship's activity staff because we have our own group leaders to run events. For example, we've had our own version of The Newlywed Game in the past, which we ran ourselves--in the theater, on the last day, at like 3:00 PM, or on Liberty OTS, in the ice rink when it wasn't in use.

The cruise line isn't eager to inconvenience the rest of the ship's passengers or deny them access to facilities en masse, nor does it really make sense to do so. We like the same bars, shows, buffets, specialty restaurants and trivia, and join them with the rest of the passengers. We're with this group because we like the mainstream cruising experience, just like you do, and are not trying to recreate the RSVP/Atlantis charter experience.

I think the worst you can say is that there are going to be some bars during the day where you might have a lot of people from our group, and we'll be dancing at night. And if you're uncomfortable with the nature of our group--which the OP has not exhibited at all--well, ultimately it does come down to issues that are hard to discuss here and maybe are beyond the nature of this thread. It's a big world, what can you do?

I respect that some people are put off by the idea of this group on board, but I also look forward to meeting many of you who aren't with our group, and all of us having a great time.

There's no reason not to take the cruise unless you have a very specific hang-up about gay people -- or if you're trying to keep your teenage son/daughter in the closet as long a humanly possible. (Sounds like that's not the case).

Gay people are a lot more fun than the average cruiser in early December. Make it a memorable vacation.

We talked a little bit about what to expect on the 11/28 Solstice roll call thread, because these are valid concerns. On past cruises, there haven't been any group events in the specialty dining rooms and the pools have been all-access, all the time. PP does some events in public spaces (the theater, the disco) at times when they are likely to have very few users: mid-afternoons or at midnight. Many of the group events are held in ports. None of the theater shows are blocked out. We don't take over the ship's activity staff because we have our own group leaders to run events. For example, we've had our own version of The Newlywed Game in the past, which we ran ourselves--in the theater, on the last day, at like 3:00 PM, or on Liberty OTS, in the ice rink when it wasn't in use.

The cruise line isn't eager to inconvenience the rest of the ship's passengers or deny them access to facilities en masse, nor does it really make sense to do so. We like the same bars, shows, buffets, specialty restaurants and trivia, and join them with the rest of the passengers. We're with this group because we like the mainstream cruising experience, just like you do, and are not trying to recreate the RSVP/Atlantis charter experience.

I think the worst you can say is that there are going to be some bars during the day where you might have a lot of people from our group, and we'll be dancing at night. And if you're uncomfortable with the nature of our group--which the OP has not exhibited at all--well, ultimately it does come down to issues that are hard to discuss here and maybe are beyond the nature of this thread. It's a big world, what can you do?

I respect that some people are put off by the idea of this group on board, but I also look forward to meeting many of you who aren't with our group, and all of us having a great time.

First off I have no issues with your group and the OP stated they did not either - there is another post about a group of doctors going on another ship and they have blocked much of the special dining and excursions, this is why I brought it up and why the OP was concerned.

Many posters have stated that they had negative experiences with large groups - decks blocked for parties and many other issues - so people are trying to get feedback to make informed decisions.

We were on a cruise with a very large PP group, I think it was the Constellation westbound TA in 2008. The only place where the group impacted us at all was the Martini bar as it is a favorite place of ours. The Martini bar on that cruise was considerably busier and more crowded each night before dinner even though nothing was specifically reserved for the group.

This wasn't that big a deal. We just arrived a little earlier or went to another bar.

While I'd prefer not to have a lot of people making "my" lounge more crowded it isn't anything that would cause me to change cruise plans. (I think I can call it "my" lounge since according to the advertisements the ships were designed for me.)

First off I have no issues with your group and the OP stated they did not either - there is another post about a group of doctors going on another ship and they have blocked much of the special dining and excursions, this is why I brought it up and why the OP was concerned.

Many posters have stated that they had negative experiences with large groups - decks blocked for parties and many other issues - so people are trying to get feedback to make informed decisions.

Sailor, we're on the same page. I didn't mean to imply you did have those views, and I am also trying to provide feedback for the same reasons as someone who has been on this particular cruise. You raised specific problems, and I explained how they've played out on past cruises.

There's no reason not to take the cruise unless you have a very specific hang-up about gay people -- or if you're trying to keep your teenage son/daughter in the closet as long a humanly possible. (Sounds like that's not the case).

This is the kind of thing that I find objectionable; that someone would bring up two words about any one else's teenagers in such a manner.

Maybe that is why people get concerned and want to switch sail dates, because of blatant and off color thoughts like these.

Gay people are a lot more fun than the average cruiser in early December. Make it a memorable vacation.

Hey Greg,

I'm cool with everything, as long as no one (male or female) is wearing a European style thong bathing suit. Of course, that might not be as tacky as wearing jeans in Murano (guess I'm just inviting trouble now!!)

But seriously, I truly appreciate the opinions I've received - both pros and cons - and feel that this will be a fun cruise and probably one without a lot of rowdy kids running around which is really one my biggest turn off (no flaming, I have 3 grown kids of my own!)

In the past there were two notable Group cruises that lit the boards up. The first was a Biker tour and the other was a Bear Cruise (Bear is a nick name for bigger and bearded gay men) on the Mariner of the Seas. There was much controversy over the noise the motorcycles made in the mornings in port and with the Bear Cruise the cruise line at some point limited access to the Solarium to the Bear Group infuriating the non group guests. The morning motorcycle noise is somewhat a nuisance but certainly not cruise ruining. Denying access to the solarium to non group members depending on the length and time of it could ruin a cruise if that is what they enjoyed most from the ship.

What I find most interesting about the controversy with the Bear and Motorcycle group is that both have a stereo typical look and are easy to identify. So if the pool is crowded with people that appear the same, it will seem as the group took it over and therefore people find it intimidating. It seems as though if there was a venue on the ship that was crowded and they did not appear to be similar looking most people would consider the area busy if not lively and fun and would be drawn to it. Just a thought.

Since you ask, it's Pied Piper, a gay cruise group. Again, let me reiterate, the interests of the group are irrelevant; I'm just concerned about sheer numbers of pax and want to hear from others who may have experienced a large group cruise in the past on X or other lines. I truly hesitated about posting in the first place, but where else to get a good idea of what to expect but from other CC people.

Thanks.

We traveled with a Pied Piper group on out TA last year on Constillation. What a blast! They livened up Michaels and every night at the Hemisphere lounge till the wee hours in the morning. They were a group of 90 or so. I'd sail with them over and over.

I think that is a personal choice, what may bother you may not bother others and vice-versa. I would love the dancing and what not that is stated as "fun" but the downside is access to things I would use.

Just like a large Cruise Criic Group:confused::rolleyes:;)

Okay, last night we was so ready to book this cruise. Now we don't know, it's not the group but rather the size that has us concerned. We have cruised with the Bears before and it was a blast espicially since it was over Halloween. Only problem was getting a decent speciality resturant reservation as they were all booked by the group. This group was only about 250.

We also sailed with a group of 700 top sellers from a company. While there were no organized take over of public spaces, many times there were informal takeovers. And often when there were long lines they would let members of the group get into line with them. Thus making other passengers wait. Often heard vulgar language yelled out in the public spaces.

So while we think this would be a fun cruise, we are concerned that the informal take overs will deminish our ability to enjoy things we want to. As one poster said, the Martini Bar was more crowded. So we are torn and will have to sleep on it a few nights.

Size does matter! :D;):D

I am going on the Solstice May 9 and discovered there is an ACB bridge sectional tournament. No idea how many are in the group. and i doubt they will monopolize the martini bar . but I do worry about the infomal letting members in line, holding seats in the theater, and as one poster mentioned, all showing up in mass for the buffet becasue they have a group session planned and need to eat first.

Anyone ever been on a bridge cruise?

The PP sound like alot of fun, by the way.

I cruised on a ship with a very large group that made up more than half the ship. It was a French Veterans group in the F.P on the T.P. From that example I would change. 700 passengers on the Sostice is not as large, but it is still large. I think it makes one feel like a "second class" when normally one feels like they are very special. IMO this is the main reason that that cruise lines try to keep the group size and presents a "secret". It is my understanding if you call and ask, they will not confirm or share information with you. You have been fortunate enough to find out. If it was me, I would switch even if it cost more.

SO....I'm just curious but am I to believe that all these people who would switch because of a large group, would then never be a part of a large group because they wouldn't want to impact someone else cruise in the same way they think a group would affect theirs?

My concern was not in anyway about the make up of the group only the fact that the group was 700 people. I was part of a TA group cruise recently that was only 115 people. We did use the Tuscan Grill one night and we had one pre dinner cocktail Toga party. I would not be inclined to book as part of a very large group unless it was 100% of the ship. I can understand why Celebrity would like it, but I just would not. But if the choice was cruising with a 700 person group I would rather be in the group than to be on the ship outside of the group. That is just my opinion based on my experience.

......Anyone ever been on a bridge cruise?

The PP sound like alot of fun, by the way.

Yes, we were on a cruise with a large Bridge Player Group and it was a madhouse - those Bridge Players are Animals, I tell you! One orders a Gin Martini, the next one orders a Double Gin Martini and then another demands a Grand Slammer Bombay Sapphire!! It got ugly. They started trumping each other, and using foul language, such as 'your nothing but a low-life Club!'. At the end, they all Passed (out).....Oh, I'm sorry, that was a dream I had last night after watching 'Bridge Over the River Kwai'.

I know, it's getting late and I need to quit posting.

Denny

Archived