Rental car-London to Southampton

We will be in London the week before our Celebrity cruise leaves from Southampton. We would like to rent a car on embarkation day and stop off in Winchester on the way down.

Does anyone have experience doing this? We don't want to drive in London! Would renting a car at Heathrow be a good idea? Any car drop-off places near the dock? Best company to use? Ship leaves at 4:45. Enough time to do this??

Thanks

We will be in London the week before our Celebrity cruise leaves from Southampton. We would like to rent a car on embarkation day and stop off in Winchester on the way down.

Does anyone have experience doing this? We don't want to drive in London! Would renting a car at Heathrow be a good idea? Any car drop-off places near the dock? Best company to use? Ship leaves at 4:45. Enough time to do this??

Thanks

Winchester is right on the SouthWest Main line; the main rail route from London to Southampton(and slightly beyond).; so it's really easy to take the train from London (Waterloo Stn) to Winchester and then Winchester-Southampton Central. Winchester's train station is close to the middle of town, and everything is an easy walk (although I admit now it's been about 30 years since I did it). I'm not sure about luggage lockers at Winchester, but if there isn't I'm sure a local hotel would store them for a couple of pounds, and there's bound to be something close by. Another option would be train->Winchester, rent the car in Winchester and then drive to Southampton, which also solves the left luggage issue, and more importantly avoids the driving in London

All the major car hire cos have bases around the docks or in Southampton,and im sure they would run you down to the docks,

One way car hire is very expensive and if your staying in central London the drive out will test your nerve as its nearly always busy espically on week days,if you do go to Winchester i would recommened the park and ride as its cheap and easy to find, other wise parking in winchester is at a prenium and a nite mare one way system :):):)

Thank you for your comments. Definitely wouldn't drive in London. I think we'll be taking the bus from Victoria and go straight to the ship.

I have driven in London on a Saturday and it is possible. BUT, however, I would not suggest it as being the best thing to do, especially during the week when traffic is heavier.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Well, I'm going to be the voice of dissention, as I've actually done this drive - Central London to Southampton. We wanted to go to Brighton for the day and I wanted to check out a couple of ships that were in Southampton, so after checking the train schedules and prices decided it would be easier (and cheaper for 3 people) to rent a car. Pick-up right off Bayswater Road, drove to Southampton, then on to Brighton. This was just after the peak morning rush-hour, and we didn't have any major issues.

That being said, if you wanted to avoid driving in London, a LHR pickup would be very do-able, however it will cost a bit more. Although, for this particular itinerary, I don't hate the train idea (but would price both before making a final decision).

Archived