Public Transportatin from EWR

gracee

We are planning to stay at the Country Inn and Suites w/ the stay and cruise pkg. We are on the Explorer Sept 30th. Upon arrival in Newark we plan to take the shuttle to the hotel, drop our luggage, and take the shuttle back to the airport to make our way into Manhattan. Is it easier for us to leave from somewhere near the hotel? I've tried the NJ transit to plan that trip, but having some difficulties. First there are sooo many different terminals in the airport that I don't know where to start. We'd like to make the quickest time possible into Manhattan and back. Public transportation to us is more than 3 people in our automobile--so we are novices at this! Can someone shed some light on this for us. Thanks!

We are planning to stay at the Country Inn and Suites w/ the stay and cruise pkg. We are on the Explorer Sept 30th. Upon arrival in Newark we plan to take the shuttle to the hotel, drop our luggage, and take the shuttle back to the airport to make our way into Manhattan. Is it easier for us to leave from somewhere near the hotel? I've tried the NJ transit to plan that trip, but having some difficulties. First there are sooo many different terminals in the airport that I don't know where to start. We'd like to make the quickest time possible into Manhattan and back. Public transportation to us is more than 3 people in our automobile--so we are novices at this! Can someone shed some light on this for us. Thanks!

If you take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, any of the terminals will do. All the terminals & the main airport parking garages/lots have a monorail stop, so you might as well get off at the first terminal the shuttle stops at. From there, take the monorail to the NJ Transit Newark Liberty Airport station.

(Buy your train tickets from a vending machine before you enter the monorail area.)

To check train schedules on the NJ Transit website, enter (from the pull-down menu) Newark Airport as your Origin Station and New York Penn Station as your Destination Station. The monorail runs continuously; it's just a few minutes' ride between any of the air terminals and the train station. The journey is really quite easy.

Here's a brief video on YouTube about using the "Air Train" monorail:

Hope this info is useful. Enjoy your visit to New York City, & your cruise.

Yes, we did exactly this and it was sooo easy. As stated, take the shuttle bus to the airport (that's the hardest part, waiting for the shuttle - we stayed at your hotel and the bus runs every 30 minutes, bit of a drag) and go to the Airport Station. For $15.00 you can take the NJT train into the city; it was fast and fabulous, and not too crowded outside of busy times. We took it to Penn Station and walked from there. Fabulous!

IMO for two people it's easier to take a cab to Newark Penn Station and pay $4/pp on the train to NY. A cab should be about $25 each way, but you should ask at the hotel. The price should be about the same as taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport, the airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and the train to New York, but it's a lot faster and easier, particularly if you come back late at night. Another option is the bus from Jersey Gardens Mall to NY, but it only runs once an hour - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/t0111.pdf

Thank you! We will probably do as Post Captian suggested on the way into NY and then do 138East's idea of the cab back to the hotel from Newark Penn--we are planning on coming back at night and I think we would feel safer that way. Then the additional boost from Langely Cruisers makes me want to leave right now just to try it out:D

I love these boards and all you helpful people. Thanks so much. Oh! We enjoyed the video too, thanks!

^ Good, have a great time! Your hotel is very nice; we stayed there and enjoyed it thoroughly. They have a nice breakfast and there is a huge food court at the mall next door, or a couple of other restaurant options. Not bad for an airport hotel. ;)

Also, Explorer is our favorite ship and I know you will enjoy her! You're taking the Canada/New England itinerary, I take it. We did that and it was absolutely beautiful. I haven't checked your itinerary; are you stopping in Quebec City? I'm excited for you. :D

We are looking forward to the Explorer, but unfortunately we are not going to Quebec City--hopefully we will in the future. This is our first trip to New England so we are very excited. We got the idea to stay at the Country Inn and Suites from 138east on another thread--I don't know what we would do w/o these boards. Is the mall that close? Is that the mall that 138east mentioned?

IMO for two people it's easier to take a cab to Newark Penn Station and pay $4/pp on the train to NY. A cab should be about $25 each way, but you should ask at the hotel. The price should be about the same as taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport, the airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and the train to New York, but it's a lot faster and easier, particularly if you come back late at night. Another option is the bus from Jersey Gardens Mall to NY, but it only runs once an hour - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/t0111.pdf

I agree with this.

The Air Train is much more expensive from the airport into Manhattan than any other station.

Is the mall that close?

It is called Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall and it is at the end of the street, just a few minutes' walk away. You can see it from the hotel. We saw the city bus mentioned, but decided to go the train route. It was fun. :) But yes, if you are looking for the least expensive option, public transit all the way is recommended.

googled the Jersey Gardens Mall and then got directions--it is as you say--next door. We might then, take the bus from the mall and then do the train to Newark Penn on the way back--get a cab back to the hotel. For what we save on the trip in we can spend on the way back!

We are planning to stay at the Country Inn and Suites w/ the stay and cruise pkg. We are on the Explorer Sept 30th. Upon arrival in Newark we plan to take the shuttle to the hotel, drop our luggage, and take the shuttle back to the airport to make our way into Manhattan. Is it easier for us to leave from somewhere near the hotel? I've tried the NJ transit to plan that trip, but having some difficulties.

Quick answer: YES.

There is no need to get shuttles from your hotel to the airport simply to board public transportation to New York City since there is public transportation near your hotel. Furthermore, the public transportation is overpriced . . . about 3 times as much as what it would cost to use the convenient and quicker bus service near your hotel.

Just across the main road near your hotel, Kapkowski Road, is the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall. There is bus service from the mall that is virtually non-stop to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City. You'll want to walk over to the bus stop near Entrance "D" (this is just beyond the Burlington Coat Factory store). Wait there for route 111 or 115. Minimize your waiting time by using this timetable. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/Tc1111.pdf When the bus arrives you'll need to pay $5.25 per person (at the airport this would be $15.00 per person!). You need not worry about exact fare since the bus driver will provide change.

If I found your cruise correctly, it returns to Bayonne on Saturday, October 9. Assuming the bus schedule remains relatively static, the last bus back on Saturday night is 11:50 p.m. However, fares have been in the news recently and the fares may increase by up to 30 percent by then. Still, that would be less than half of the airport bus fare!

^ While I understand, respect, and agree with your instructions, we found the train was faster to our destination. No rush-hour road traffic to deal with, and it was comfortable and an interesting journey. If money is not really a concern but time is, I highly recommend the NJT train. It was fun. :) I guess it's a personal choice.

^ While I understand, respect, and agree with your instructions, we found the train was faster to our destination. No rush-hour road traffic to deal with, and it was comfortable and an interesting journey. If money is not really a concern but time is, I highly recommend the NJT train. It was fun. :) I guess it's a personal choice.

I respectfully disagree here. Not only is the bus from Jersey Gardens less expensive and less convoluted (no transfers required), it is also about 20 to 30 minutes quicker. Remember, the people traveling will be coming from a hotel near the mall, not near airport transportation. But I make no judgment as to whether or not the bus or the train is more fun that the other!

The bus from Jersey Gardens to Port Authority Bus Terminal requires 40 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. Add 10 minutes to walk from the hotel across the street to the mall, and the total elapsed time is about 50 minutes.

The alternative is to use the hotel's courtesy car to the airport, then the AirTrain to the railroad station, then the NJT train to Pennsylvania Station. The courtesy car requires 10 minutes. the AirTrain another 10 minutes, the NJT train another 30 minutes, or a total travel time of 50 minutes. On top of that you need to add time for the two connections plus time for buying tickets from machines before boarding, so the total elapsed time will be closer to 1 hour 15 minutes.

(The train could be faster if one has "just missed" a bus from Jersey Gardens, and there would be a long wait for the next bus.)

From the Airport you can use Supershuttle into N.Y City, I believe it was $7 pp, but I may be wrong. Since we arrived in Terminal B. we walked down to the ground floor, where the buses come in. There is wall phones there with direct connection to Supershuttle, you call them and they send a van. You may have to wait a bit, since they 'round up' other passengers going in the same direction.

We haven't done the return trip to the Airport, so am not sure how that works. I believe, the shuttle can also pick you up at your hotel. You can contact them at www.supershuttle.com

Good luck, Eva

From the Airport you can use Supershuttle into N.Y City, I believe it was $7 pp, but I may be wrong.

To the best of my knowledge, the only transportation between Newark Liberty International Airport and New York City that costs in the range of $7 is that which involved a local transit bus (NJT route 62) from the airport to downtown Newark, then onward using a PATH train, NJT train, or NJT bus. The airport express services by bus or train are $15, with vans and taxis being more expensive. When I checked the Supershuttle website for transportation from the airport to Grand Central Terminal in midtown Manhattan I received a quote of $23.

(But again, all of this is probably irrelevant since the original poster will not starting the journey at Newark airport but rather a hotel in Elizabeth, N.J. . . . where there is good transportation without the necessity of going to the airport.)

From the Airport you can use Supershuttle into N.Y City, I believe it was $7 pp, but I may be wrong. Since we arrived in Terminal B. we walked down to the ground floor, where the buses come in. There is wall phones there with direct connection to Supershuttle, you call them and they send a van. You may have to wait a bit, since they 'round up' other passengers going in the same direction.

We haven't done the return trip to the Airport, so am not sure how that works. I believe, the shuttle can also pick you up at your hotel. You can contact them at www.supershuttle.com

Good luck, Eva

It is $33.00 for two on Supershuttle and a LOOOOONG trip if they have other passengers and other drop offs.

Cheaper to ride the Coach USA bus ($15.00pp each way) AND the bus driver doesn't expect a tip like the SuperShuttle van drivers do.

I am really liking the bus idea from the mall--seems most simple--IF we catch it at the right time. On the way back will probably be another story because it might be late, so in that case I think we would try the train to Penn Station and then the cab to the hotel. Love this public transportation thing! We miss so much living in semi-rural Florida.

Gracee - Please do what you feel most comfortable doing. I think the options available to you have been well presented and as someone said, it is ultimately a personal choice. I think taking the bus in to NY will be fine. The bus schedule back is poor late at night, so taking the train and a cab should work much better for you. Newark is a highly urban area and folks from other parts of the country generally are not used to that. I recommend the train and cab option to the hotels because the Air Train option involves changing to the monorail, going to P4, and waiting or calling for the hotel shuttle. These connections can mesh nicely but sometimes not.

It is $33.00 for two on Supershuttle and a LOOOOONG trip if they have other passengers and other drop offs.

Cheaper to ride the Coach USA bus ($15.00pp each way) AND the bus driver doesn't expect a tip like the SuperShuttle van drivers do.

As I wrote, I wasn't sure of the cost, reason I included the website. But I must have had an attack of wishful thinking.

Forgot about the Coach USA bus, good suggestion.

Eva

You are all so awesome for being so willing to help! I appreciate your suggestions. This gives us options, depending on weather and the hour. I plan to take each one of these ideas with us so we can plan our way accordingly. Thanks again! You are great!

I am really liking the bus idea from the mall--seems most simple--IF we catch it at the right time. On the way back will probably be another story because it might be late, so in that case I think we would try the train to Penn Station and then the cab to the hotel. Love this public transportation thing! We miss so much living in semi-rural Florida.

Well, if you're coming back really late, then yes, it is a bit more problematic. Using the train, the station in Elizabeth would be closest to your hotel. I can't recall what the taxi service is like there late at night . . . perhaps if your hotel is still providing courtesy car service late at night the hotel would pick you up at the station? Newark station should have taxis with no problem, but the fare would be a bit more given that you would be making a trip from Newark to Elizabeth. There is local public transportation, including the no. 24 bus from Newark to the Jersey Gardens Mall, but the last trip from is at 1:15 a.m., and this is from Broad St & Market St, a few blocks from Penn Station.

Thanks for the tip on bus 24--we probably will be sleeping before that last bus departs! We are thinking more like 9 or 10 pm to head back to the hotel. I guess that's pretty early for NYC but I am a whimp and I need my rest:o

Would a taxi from Exchange Place be closer than going all the way to Penn Station?

Sorry! I was thinking that when we come back in the evening, instead of going to Newark Penn to take a cab, can we grab a cab from Exchange Place (as it seems to be a hub of trains and light rails and buses and hotels). Is that feasible? Is it closer to our hotel than Newark Penn?

Archived