Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn Express in Ft Lauderdale

Moondoggy51

We are planning our first cruise on Princess Cruise Lines out of Ft Lauderdale and I have enough points for a free stay at any Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn. According to my Priorty Club website, there's a Crowne Plaza and two Holiday Inn Express Hotels that are close to the port. Has anyone had an experience with these Hotels and/or can recommend which one if any would be the best to stay in for our pre-cruise arrivial?

There is a brand new Crowne Plaza in Ft Lauderdale on SE 24th St. (State Rd 84) one block from the entrance to Port Everglades. This is a newly built hotel. It's only been open for a month or so. I have never been inside this hotel, I have only driven by it. It looks nice on the outside, if that means anything. The hotel is within a mile of SE 17th St where the Harbor Shops shopping center is (Publix, Total Wine, and restaurants). You can walk to the above places during the day, but DO NOT walk in this area after dusk. Inherently, it is not a bad area, but after dark it is not safe for pedestrians.

I've got points for a free night at the Crowne Plaza and it looks great online. Is there any place near the Crowne Plaza to grab breakfast? You mention not walking at night, would that hold true for the area near the Embassy Suites?

I've got points for a free night at the Crowne Plaza and it looks great online. Is there any place near the Crowne Plaza to grab breakfast? You mention not walking at night, would that hold true for the area near the Embassy Suites?

Embassy Suites has sidewalks and it is safe to walk around at night. I think the previous writer was referring to the safety of the drivers (not referring to crime). The Crowne Plaza is off a major road and it is hard to cross the street (although do-able).

Embassy Suites has sidewalks and it is safe to walk around at night. I think the previous writer was referring to the safety of the drivers (not referring to crime). The Crowne Plaza is off a major road and it is hard to cross the street (although do-able).

The Embassy is on a much busier street.

It is safe to walk day or night on SE 17th St (that's the street that the Embassy Suites and restaurants are on). In my opinion, it is not safe to walk to SE 17th St at night from where the Crown Plaza is. And, I don't mean because of traffic. While it is a short walk, the stretch of Federal Hwy that the OP would have to traverse is known for drugs and prostitution AT NIGHT. It is, however, fine during the day. The miscreants come out at night. There are sidewalks along the entire route.

SR 84 (SE 24th St) is a seedy area at night, and in the day time it is no Rodeo Drive --- SE 17th St, on the other hand, is a very nice area anywhere east of SE 10th Ave, and the area between Federal Hwy and SE 10th Ave is pretty good too.

If I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, I'd take a cab up to the nicer areas of 17th

We are looking at using the same type of points as well.

In our research, the new Crowne Plaza nearest the port does not offer breakfast or shuttles where the HI Airport/cruise hotel does.

The HI Conv. Centre offers airport shuttles and breakfast but not port shuttles or a pool.

I would like to try the CP Hollywood Beach (even if just for the day) but it offers no shuttles, or breakfast and taxi fare from the airport and back to the port could run a fair bit as it is a ways out.

Let us know what you decide or if you find more information!

I was at the Crowne Plaza at Bejing Airport because of its location. Boy was I surprised. I expected Hoilday Inn but Crowne was like a 5 star hotel in China. They upgraded up to a 2 room Suite. They are owned by Intercontinental.

• 1 month later...

In our research, the new Crowne Plaza nearest the port does not offer breakfast or shuttles where the HI Airport/cruise hotel does.

The HI Conv. Centre offers airport shuttles and breakfast but not port shuttles or a pool.

The new Crowne does offer shuttles. ;) I am in the middle of researching all of this right now. But it does offer shuttles. Breakfast though, I think that may be the difference, HI does and Crowne doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...
I would stay on the beach. My pick would be the Crown Plaza Hollywood Beach.

We're at that location now, and I second that opinion!!! 3 day pre cruise. We will absolutely be back!

I was at the Crowne Plaza at Bejing Airport because of its location. Boy was I surprised. I expected Hoilday Inn but Crowne was like a 5 star hotel in China. They upgraded up to a 2 room Suite. They are owned by Intercontinental.

They are also owned by Holiday Inn too ! Holiday Inn has been doing a lot of upgrades in the past 2 years and is still updating. With all the travelling that hubby does he has points that we will never get to use as he has soo many but Im not complaining! My fave is the intercontinental also owned by Holiday Inn lol It is usually all marble and when you get up high (say if leaving from Miami ) its fun to sit in your room and watch all the boats go by, especially at xmas when the boats are decorated! Have a wonderful cruise no matter where you stay when you first get there!

I would like to try the CP Hollywood Beach (even if just for the day) but it offers no shuttles, or breakfast and taxi fare from the airport and back to the port could run a fair bit as it is a ways out.

Let us know what you decide or if you find more information!

You do not need to worry about shuttles to the port. A cab is less than $15. There is nothing around the Crown Plaza, so unless you are getting in very late and just need a bed, I would not choose that location.

Archived