Tell me....

CruiseLover824

Could anyone tell me why I will like a Norweigan cruise better than a Carnival cruise? I have sailed on Carnival 3 times, and am about to take my 4th one on Carnival.

My friends and I found a really good price for a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Norwegian Star for next year. I just want to hear from experienced Norwegian cruisers why I will like this line.:D

No idea. You might LOVE NCL, you might not care.

If you do a search on the ncl boards for 'carnival' you might find some good reivews or comparisons.

We just love the freestyle dining and slight better "class" than carnival. But, no idea what you desires are.

We've done both, and like both. I really don't see a lot of differences in them. Activities, rooms, food, all seem comparable (to me). The biggest difference is the freestyle dining (eat when & where you chose) vs. Carnival assigned seating/time. I prefer free style, but would not pass up a good deal on Carnival.

The CREW! They seem much happier on NCL than Carnival or Royal as far as I could see.

I like Freestyle and hate Traditional Dining. I love the fact that I do not need to bring fancy clothing on NCL.....resort casual is the norm at dinner. I did like the food on Carnival better in the main dining rooms but in my opinion the buffet is much better and more diversified on NCL. There are many more choices for dining on NCL if you want to pay a minimal surcharge which is well worth it IMO.

The Entertainment on NCL is far superior to what I saw on Carnival and RCCL. IMO

The price! I usually find the price for the same itenary cheaper on NCL. I found very cheap last minute prices on my one each Carnival and Royal but the norm is higher prices for the same itineraries on Carnival and RCCL.

Have fun and happy sails.:)

Oh.. I forgot the cleanliness of the ships. NCL is far superior on keeping a handle on Noro Virus with hand sanitizers outside of every dining venue (and all public areas )with staff attended to make sure everyone uses them. These sanitizers are there all the time not JUST when noro is around...unlike Carnival and Royal...as far as I saw on those cruises. I, personally, feel a tiny bit better knowing that everyone is instructed to use those. I bring my own hand sanitizer always and after handling the serving spoons in the buffet I use mine.

On my one RCCL cruise I found my cabin very dirty and had to leave several notes for steward to clean the bathroom floor due to tons of hair (not mine) on the floor upon check in and the mirrors were very dirty as was the carpet. Don't get me wrong as I had a great time on that cruise but it wasn't up to NCL standards.

One more thing...on NCL I've always had a small fridge in the cabin..not so on other lines.

NCL and Carnival are more alike than different. I am sure you would enjoy a cruise on NCL just as you have your Carnival cruises.

Dress codes are basically the same for both lines so you can be casual or not on both.

Carnival now has Anytime Dining so you can actually do either - traditional or Carnival's version of freeestyle. Carnival does not have as many "extra charge" restaurants; some like this concept and some don't. I personally don't need to pay extra but I do agree that the food is better at these restaurants. I think (IMO) that Carnival's MDR food is better but I also think that NCL's buffet is better.

I have always found that Carnivals price is better - but that is just me shopping for where I want to go. I do feel that you cannot beat Carnival's early saver program. NCL runs good specials sometimes and my cruise planner is awesome.

NCL crew I have found does seem to be friendlier and more helpful - and more fun. Although I never had a bad experience with a crew member on Carnival.

NCL does have those hand sanitizers everywhere!

I also think that Carnival entertainment is far better...just my opinion.

I have seen classy and not classy cruisers on both lines. (Actually the least classy cruisers I have ever seen was on Princess.)

Go for the bargain on NCL. You will have a great time!! And the ships are very "pretty"!

Thanks everyone for answering!

I am pretty sure that any cruise, on any line would be a great cruise! I just wanted to see what those who have cruised on NCL had to say. I really don't know anyone who has been on an NCL ship before, and I knew my fellow Cruise Critic members could help!

We did find a really awesome deal for spring break of 2011 on NCL, so I think we will give it a try!

Could anyone tell me why I will like a Norweigan cruise better than a Carnival cruise? I have sailed on Carnival 3 times, and am about to take my 4th one on Carnival.

My friends and I found a really good price for a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Norwegian Star for next year. I just want to hear from experienced Norwegian cruisers why I will like this line.:D

I'm far from experienced....as my first cruise hasn't even happened yet.....but out of all the cruise lines I chose the NCL Gem for our first.

I read lots of reviews and spent a lot of time here on CC gathering all the information I could.

I'm happy with our choice and am looking forward to a great experience.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

I usually book cruises through on-line brokers (without any problems), I booked once with a local TA, a neighbor and she said that the local agency does not book NCL cruises- implied low quality- personally I think they just can't make as much $$ when booking this line- compared to what I can book for on-line their prices are ridiculous, and with the on-line brokers I get OBC and free insurance, not so with the local one. Right now you can't beat the prices on NCL- it is a good product and we all know that you make your own good time.;)

The Embarkation and Debarkation is SO much better at the Port of Los Angeles than if you took the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach.

That is the main reason i won't sail the Splendor, it has always been long lines and long waits at that Port.

The Embarkation and Debarkation is SO much better at the Port of Los Angeles than if you took the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach.

That is the main reason i won't sail the Splendor, it has always been long lines and long waits at that Port.

Thanks for this info...the other ship we were looking at was the Splendor. We are going to give NCL a try---we are booking the Star Mexican Riviera cruise tomorrow!!

You can get all the advice you desire concerning "this cruise line vs. that cruise line" but the only way YOU will know if YOU like a cruise line or ship is to try it. Everyone will have an opinion but not all opinions will be the same.

Of course the only way to find out if you like it, is to try it. I like to read other people's opinions though....isn't that the point of these boards??

Thanks for this info...the other ship we were looking at was the Splendor. We are going to give NCL a try---we are booking the Star Mexican Riviera cruise tomorrow!!

We must have been lucky because we went on the Splendor last October and it was very smooth both ways. I loved the splendor but I don't think it matters to me which ship i'm on as long as i'm on one!!! We are doing the NCL star next january for the Panama Canal because they offered the best price and itinerary for what we wanted. I think that is the whole secret!! What do you want to do, where do you want to go and what do you want to pay!! Enjoy your cruise~~

I have to agree with the majority of the posters on this thread: the biggest difference I found between the two lines is the quality of the EMPLOYEES. In fact, the main reason I stopped cruising Carnival was because I had become disenchanted after my final Carnival cruise due to such poor service. In actuality I had expected the same level of service on NCL and was surprised again and again how great all of the employees are! The cruise I just got off of -- I turned in FIVE S.T.Y.L.E. cards!!!!

Archived