Nohoch Kay Beach Break

salmonbuster

Pez Quadro is bigger and definitely busier. Nohoch Kay is located a little bit further down and is more private. The distance is only a couple of blocks though, as the entire strip of Mahaual is pretty short! The staff here were absolutely WONDERFUL. Jaime, the owner, was making sure we were happy the entire time. There was also Tony, a guy from Arkensas who helps out and was as kind as can be. I got to the area around 10:30, and it opens at 9...as soon as I got there they knew who I was! We got to pick our own lounge chairs and umbrellas, and we got it to ourselves! :)

I had frozen margaritas pretty much all day and they were delicious! Not too weak, not too strong! The food was great too - chips, salsa, guac...then quesadillas and nachos. Everything was delicious!

Like I said before, the biggest difference is the size and privacy. Nohoch Kay is much more quiet sitting at the end of the strip. When you get off the bus, go RIGHT and it is literally JUST passed the school!

Pez Quadro is bigger and definitely busier. Nohoch Kay is located a little bit further down and is more private. The distance is only a couple of blocks though, as the entire strip of Mahaual is pretty short! The staff here were absolutely WONDERFUL. Jaime, the owner, was making sure we were happy the entire time. There was also Tony, a guy from Arkensas who helps out and was as kind as can be. I got to the area around 10:30, and it opens at 9...as soon as I got there they knew who I was! We got to pick our own lounge chairs and umbrellas, and we got it to ourselves! :)

I had frozen margaritas pretty much all day and they were delicious! Not too weak, not too strong! The food was great too - chips, salsa, guac...then quesadillas and nachos. Everything was delicious!

Like I said before, the biggest difference is the size and privacy. Nohoch Kay is much more quiet sitting at the end of the strip. When you get off the bus, go RIGHT and it is literally JUST passed the school!

Where do you book Nohoch bay? Island marketing?

Agree with the above posts. Was just there last week, and it was just what the doctor ordered. Jaime was extremely attentive, the whole staff was friendly, and the more intimate atmosphere allowed us to focus our attention on our kids and the neighbors who cruised with us.

Don't get me wrong, we still had a good time with the 'menu of mexican beers' and all... it just fit us better than the larger/more crowded 'Pez' beachbreak. We talked to a couple other folks who were there, and they seemed to like it better too. Guess it's all in what you want. For us, it was the perfect fit for our last land excursion in the sun before heading back to the great white north ;)

P.S. Food was great. When Jaime found out we had some food allergies in our group, he went out of his way to ensure we were safe. Don't know if we would've got that level of detail at 'Pez'.

P.S 2 - here's the link to the Nohoch Kay beachbreak: http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/AllInclusiveBeach.htm

Hey sendtodb, it's your Nohoch Kay Dallas Cowboy fan, beach chair neighbor. I put my review in a different thread, but yep, I could have used another day or two of Nohoch Kay greatness. It's a shame y'all had to head back early; after you left we got to talking to the 2 young couples in front of us closer to the water, and before you knew it a couple shots of Tequila were being enjoyed by all.

Tequila + beach + sun = good times (followed by mucho rest on the ship)

Not to scare away the masses, we weren't being loud or bothering anyone around us.

We also talked to the staffers Tony and Tanya more later in the day and they were very nice and easy-going as well.

Not at the dock - they don't have a representative there. You can take a taxi to the town and then walk down the malecon to Nohoch Kay and pay as you go. Some of have suggested you may end up saving a few bucks paying as you go there versus the all-inclusive, but I didn't want to worry about it so I paid for the all-inclusive and felt it was worth it.

Agree with the above posts. Was just there last week, and it was just what the doctor ordered. Jaime was extremely attentive, the whole staff was friendly, and the more intimate atmosphere allowed us to focus our attention on our kids and the neighbors who cruised with us.

Don't get me wrong, we still had a good time with the 'menu of mexican beers' and all... it just fit us better than the larger/more crowded 'Pez' beachbreak. We talked to a couple other folks who were there, and they seemed to like it better too. Guess it's all in what you want. For us, it was the perfect fit for our last land excursion in the sun before heading back to the great white north ;)

P.S. Food was great. When Jaime found out we had some food allergies in our group, he went out of his way to ensure we were safe. Don't know if we would've got that level of detail at 'Pez'.

P.S 2 - here's the link to the Nohoch Kay beachbreak: http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/AllInclusiveBeach.htm

We are booked for April and are looking forward to it.. glad to see the good reviews on different threads here....

Here is a picture from February looking towards the bar! (hope i did this right)

All lounge chairs with your own umbrella plus tables if you want to sit...

In response to the cab question: we just took the bus (can buy tix @ the port) and it dropped us off right in the middle - only had to walk maybe 4 blocks! Took a cab back for 2$ per person!

1.jpg.05006d8ee15f27d2af63c519c9d29a8b.jpg

We were at Nohoch last Thursday. It was amazing! Better than Nachi Cocum (we went there too!) In response to the cab question: we told the cab driver where we were going and he drove us directly behind the the building where Nohoch is located. Great day -- Jaime is the BEST!

We were at Nohoch last Thursday. It was amazing! Better than Nachi Cocum (we went there too!) In response to the cab question: we told the cab driver where we were going and he drove us directly behind the the building where Nohoch is located. Great day -- Jaime is the BEST!

Curious as to why you thought that Nohoch Kay was better than Nachi Cocom? We have been to Nachi and will be going back in April. We will also be going to Nohoch Kay...

-John

We've been to Nachi many times. Over the last couple of years, they have cut down on their staff and service has not been quite as good. It was still great and we will go back, but Nohoch was a whole different level of service -- it was fabulous-- Jaime (and his staff) are there constantly making sure you have everything you need. He seems to have as many staff as Nachi and only takes 25 persons a day (as opposed to Nachi's 80 -- down from the 100 they used to take)

• 1 month later...

Thank you to all you reviewers above. We are 2 couples who just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Celebrity Mercury, it was a great cruise but the highlight had to be Nohoch Kay Beach. I had read your review before we left and just as you all said Jaimie was as gracious a host as you could ask for and his first mate Jeff was great and kept us well supplied with Modelo Negras, Frozen Margaritas, Tequila shots and Rum Punch. The food was fabulous, conch, octopus & shrimp cevichi (to die for) plus guacamole, pico degillo, chips, tacos (beef,chicken,pork & conch) and quesadillas. Jeff provided us with snorkeling equipment and like the drunken fools we are (the 2 guys) we swam out past the reef into open moving water, we got pretty scrapped up by the coral but we'll survive. We also had 30 minute massages by the resident Masseuse Tracy and her daughter Johanna (they were great). In conclusion I would recommend this beach to anyone looking for a great afternoon of relaxation.

The more I hear about this place, the more I wonder if jaime, the owner, is the same Jaime who had La Oasis in Playa Del Carmen (defunct). I heard he recently (past 6 months?) moved to that area. Descriptions of the food sure sound like it. Anybody know for sure? Regardless, I'm pleased to hear that Majahual is developing a vibrant local restaurant community.

• 6 months later...
The more I hear about this place, the more I wonder if jaime, the owner, is the same Jaime who had La Oasis in Playa Del Carmen (defunct). I heard he recently (past 6 months?) moved to that area. Descriptions of the food sure sound like it. Anybody know for sure? Regardless, I'm pleased to hear that Majahual is developing a vibrant local restaurant community.

Yes, he is the same Jaime from Playa Del Carmen

It's now two weeks post-cruise ... and fully back into reality.

-

Two weeks post-cruise and many of the memories are starting to fade as is the tan on my vitamin D deficient Wisconsin complexion. One memory, however, remains vivid in my mind.

-

One memory has me searching the internet for future cruises to Casa Maya ... has me trying to figure out the best way to get to there on my own .... and that memory is of Nohoch Cay Beach Break.

-

Even though it was raining during out visit to Nohoch Cay - I can still feel the warmth of the day. The cab pulled up next to the building and we were warmly greeted like returning VIP's by Jamie and his lovely staff. They gave us a tour of their restaurant, their beach and their offerings. It was a tad bit chilly and wee bit early to start drinking, so we enjoyed some coffee and pastries as we lounged in comfortable beach chairs underneath bamboo umbrellas.

-

The drizzle turned to rain so we vacated our beach chairs and joined some other customer in the open air restaurant. Great conversation developed with Philadelphia at one one table - and Texas at another. Pastries soon turned into Ceviche and Fish Tacos; Coffee gave way to Beer and Tequilla. Our new friends learned the joy of sipping smooth tequilla, Tenampa Azul, a lowlands, 100% blue agave, lightly aged reposado from Gran Centenario.

-

The rain eventually cleared and we returned to our beach chairs - Jamie and his fine staff continually making the rounds to make sure we had every we needed. We were thoroughly relaxed, not a care in the world. Reality seemed so far away. No tension. No worries. No hussle and bussle. Pure relaxation. We napped under the canopy of a fresh ocean breeze and the rhythmic, soothing sound of waves breaking over the reef.

-

While my wife was getting an hour long massage ($30) I went snorkeling. The young son of the masseuse joined me in the protected waters and showed me how to identify conch shells and pointed out various undersea life that I might have otherwise missed.

-

As the day drew near, Jamie (very much an existentialist) and I discussed, under the cloud of tequila, what the good life really is and the challenges in finding it. Sadly, it was time to leave Nohoch Kay - Jamie arranged a cab ... and we were gone.

-

I can still feel the warmth of that day. Feel free to contact me at bluebezoarATgmail.com (substitute "at" with the @ symbol)

beach area is a very small quiet area..its the last beach on the strip.. luckily it was a nice sunny day... we noticed that there was no swimming area to speak of at Nohoch Kay apparently the tide was out and there was small pools of water which were only ankle deep... to go to deeper water you had to go out quite far (under the ropes actually) and that area is designated for all the jet skis and small motor boats that go back and forth..in other words not safe for swimmers..we plopped down under a palapa and had bloody marys.. we relaxed and soaked up the sun..ordered shrimp ceviche and gaucamole both were tasty..we decide to walk the beach and found an active beach that had a nice swimming area.. very clear and clean for swimming..we enjoyed a nice swim there and hung out there for a bit..walked back to Nohoch Kay..walked up to the outdoor restaurant area ordered our lunch and had some mexican beers..my bf ordered a hamburger..her needed a burger fix!.. he said the burger was not very good..I tasted it ...it was old beef and tasted awful..Jaime started to brag about the quality of his beef guess he was uncomfortable that his food had gone bad?...my bf ordered chicken quesadillas..for some reason that got lost in the translation and he got grilled chicken??..we didn't say anything about the mistake..oh well..right after we finished some drama began to happen in the water..a 10 yr old boy was injured in the water ...possibly a jelly fish or sea urchin?..he was in terrible agony he was screaming in pain..Jaime said this happens all the time..I was not happy with that reaction..the boy was in such bad pain ..the massage lady put vinegar on his stomach..the boy was soo out of control in pain..I recommended he get back to the ship immediately in case he had an allergic reaction to the poisonous bite..he was screaming in pain as his father carried him to the taxi..he was not on my ship and I hope he got the proper attention ..I was very upset by the scene..I felt I could not relax anymore and wanted to leave..we paid Jaime the $60 balance and left..

beach area is a very small quiet area..its the last beach on the strip.. luckily it was a nice sunny day... we noticed that there was no swimming area to speak of at Nohoch Kay apparently the tide was out and there was small pools of water which were only ankle deep... to go to deeper water you had to go out quite far (under the ropes actually) and that area is designated for all the jet skis and small motor boats that go back and forth..in other words not safe for swimmers..we plopped down under a palapa and had bloody marys.. we relaxed and soaked up the sun..ordered shrimp ceviche and gaucamole both were tasty..we decide to walk the beach and found an active beach that had a nice swimming area.. very clear and clean for swimming..we enjoyed a nice swim there and hung out there for a bit..walked back to Nohoch Kay..walked up to the outdoor restaurant area ordered our lunch and had some mexican beers..my bf ordered a hamburger..her needed a burger fix!.. he said the burger was not very good..I tasted it ...it was old beef and tasted awful..Jaime started to brag about the quality of his beef guess he was uncomfortable that his food had gone bad?...my bf ordered chicken quesadillas..for some reason that got lost in the translation and he got grilled chicken??..we didn't say anything about the mistake..oh well..right after we finished some drama began to happen in the water..a 10 yr old boy was injured in the water ...possibly a jelly fish or sea urchin?..he was in terrible agony he was screaming in pain..Jaime said this happens all the time..I was not happy with that reaction..the boy was in such bad pain ..the massage lady put vinegar on his stomach..the boy was soo out of control in pain..I recommended he get back to the ship immediately in case he had an allergic reaction to the poisonous bite..he was screaming in pain as his father carried him to the taxi..he was not on my ship and I hope he got the proper attention ..I was very upset by the scene..I felt I could not relax anymore and wanted to leave..we paid Jaime the $60 balance and left..

No swimming area to speak of??? this concerns me...I just booked this....maybe I will forego the fee adn go along the beach to where there is a nice swimming area...any advise? I have been to CM several times and heard such positive reviews about this beach club, all inc.... :(

The swimming along the beach is all the same. All share the same beach. It's the nature of the shore line there and the tidal times. I believe Nacional Beach Club has a small pool, for its hotel guests. And there's a pool with a swim up bar at the port shopping area.

Archived