Nohoch Kay Beach Break

salmonbuster

The water was fine for swimming and kayaking and sitting in the float chairs at Maya Chan. The tide seems to make the ocean floor uneven- kind of like periodic sandbars- deep areas and then a shallow spot here and there. I always have fun there.

The swimming along the beach is all the same. All share the same beach. It's the nature of the shore line there and the tidal times. I believe Nacional Beach Club has a small pool, for its hotel guests. And there's a pool with a swim up bar at the port shopping area.
....well I have to disagree with you Mr.Crewsweeper..I was just there a week a half ago and there was absolutely no place to go for a swim directly in front of Nohoch Kay..we walked about 5 min north and found a very large completely clear (no seagrass) sandy area that was roped for a great swim..there was plenty of people at this beach in the water either swimming or drinking beers..I never got the name of that beach because I probably won't want to go back to Costa Maya again..thats a one shot visit for me..

We visited Nohoch Kay on Wed Dec 15. I will second what everything has said about Jaime. He is simply a fantastic host.

For those researching if they want to book their day here, I will give our thoughts

1) If you are looking for a relaxing beach day with all inclusive then this is for you. If you are looking for a crazy party scene, this is not it. Unless you bring your own crowd.

2) The theme at Nohoch Kay is simplicity. And it does that. You start the day on the beach with some drinks (Don't worry if it starts slow....if you want to start drinking right away just order it up. They do serve you right at your beach chair, you will not have to go looking for the bar)

3) Lunch - You can eat on the beach or go up to the restaurant. We went to the restaurant and I highly recommend doing that. Jaime sat with us, learned of our interesting dietary requests and then created a menu just for us. It was really excellent and the level of service was completely unexepected. We very much enjoyed the food and sauces.

4) The massage on the beach was very inexpensive and quite good. Highly recommended

5) It rained after lunch, so we basically spend the afternoon in the restaurant with beers and drinks

6) The beach - The previous posters are correct. The swim area is filled with seagrass and very shallow. I don't know if there are better options in Costa Maya...if this is important to you, it should be kept in mind. The beach itself is quite OK and there are chairs with umbrellas for you to use. If it were hot, we would have ventured into the water. Others did.

7) Snorkeling - It was very cloudy while we were there and were waiting for the sun to come out to try it. That never came. We did hear of someone coming in when we were at lunch that was impressed. By this time we were too far into the drinks to try it. But Jaime told us the places you could snorkel and he said it is quite good. Next time we will. If you are are snorkeler there were places right off the beach here that would make it worth it to bring your equipment. Or they have it there. There are also kayaks available to use.

8) Location - It is right next to the school. The cabbie didn't know where it was. We ended up at the school - walk to the boardwalk and turn right. Nohoch is right there. $2pp for the cab. It would be a very long walk from the pier. Wouldn't do it.

9) Jaime - As stated really a great host and makes the day. Personally greets all guests. Personally also says goodbye to everyone as well. Even those just eating in the restaurant for lunch. It was great to see an owner this invovled.

10) Vendors - Really a non issue the day we were there.

We look forward to the day we go back to visith Nohoch Kay

We will be there in 4 weeks:) Can anyone fill me in on the atmosphere of the Nohoch Kay Beach Break vs. Pez Quatro thru Island Markenting? We are scheduled at Nohoch Kay and hope we made the right choice !!!!

You made a very right choise. We have been there twice and we love it!!! The owner Jaime gave me his email and I lost his card. We will be there next month on the Dream and want to go back. How did you book it? I didn't see it on Island Marketing any longer. I know they are doing direct reservations and he said those were preferable when I asked him.

thanks

Dave

WOW we were there also that day. Few things to note however: yes 10 year old got stung by jellyfish but he was handicap and had other issues causing his hugeoverreaction. If a jellyfish sting affects you that much perhaps you shouldn't do the ocean - it's gonna happen. My son swam so not sure what your referring to, no the water is shallow but plenty to swim in. the seafood was FANTASTIC, best shrimp tacos I've ever had. My son also ordered the burger, yes it was Mexican beef and seasoned differently but definitely not spoiled by any means. The owner was fantastic and we can wait to go back.

beach area is a very small quiet area..its the last beach on the strip.. luckily it was a nice sunny day... we noticed that there was no swimming area to speak of at Nohoch Kay apparently the tide was out and there was small pools of water which were only ankle deep... to go to deeper water you had to go out quite far (under the ropes actually) and that area is designated for all the jet skis and small motor boats that go back and forth..in other words not safe for swimmers..we plopped down under a palapa and had bloody marys.. we relaxed and soaked up the sun..ordered shrimp ceviche and gaucamole both were tasty..we decide to walk the beach and found an active beach that had a nice swimming area.. very clear and clean for swimming..we enjoyed a nice swim there and hung out there for a bit..walked back to Nohoch Kay..walked up to the outdoor restaurant area ordered our lunch and had some mexican beers..my bf ordered a hamburger..her needed a burger fix!.. he said the burger was not very good..I tasted it ...it was old beef and tasted awful..Jaime started to brag about the quality of his beef guess he was uncomfortable that his food had gone bad?...my bf ordered chicken quesadillas..for some reason that got lost in the translation and he got grilled chicken??..we didn't say anything about the mistake..oh well..right after we finished some drama began to happen in the water..a 10 yr old boy was injured in the water ...possibly a jelly fish or sea urchin?..he was in terrible agony he was screaming in pain..Jaime said this happens all the time..I was not happy with that reaction..the boy was in such bad pain ..the massage lady put vinegar on his stomach..the boy was soo out of control in pain..I recommended he get back to the ship immediately in case he had an allergic reaction to the poisonous bite..he was screaming in pain as his father carried him to the taxi..he was not on my ship and I hope he got the proper attention ..I was very upset by the scene..I felt I could not relax anymore and wanted to leave..we paid Jaime the $60 balance and left..

WOW we were there also that day. Few things to note however: yes 10 year old got stung by jellyfish but he was handicap and had other issues causing his hugeoverreaction. If a jellyfish sting affects you that much perhaps you shouldn't do the ocean - it's gonna happen. My son swam so not sure what your referring to, no the water is shallow but plenty to swim in. the seafood was FANTASTIC, best shrimp tacos I've ever had. My son also ordered the burger, yes it was Mexican beef and seasoned differently but definitely not spoiled by any means. The owner was fantastic and we can wait to go back.

Good to know!! I was a little nervous as I am the one that picked this place for 2 families

thanks for clearing this up. I was thinking, maybe some people over react: it sounds like Nancy is one of those. I am sure glad hers was not the first post we read.

Nita

We just got back from Costa Maya and went to Nohoch Kay - we had a great time. Jaime makes the day special catering the meal to your unique needs and tastes (for example I do not eat red meat and my MIL has a shrimp allergy). The food was fantastic. Yes, the beach is small and the water did not fill in until the afternoon so you had to wade out early in the am to find waist high water. However, we were at Maya Chan in July and the water there was filled with turtle grass and unpleasant to be in, so this was much better.

We felt Nohoch Kay far exceeded Maya Chan in terms of comfort (lounge chairs versus adirondacks), qualiuty of food and level of service. The massages were fantastic and reasonable and the drinks were awesome too. Would go back anytime I am in Costa Maya again.

The place rocks!!! Jaime is an excellent host. Have no worries about booking this. We will be returning for our third time this month. Since the hurricane wiped them off the map a couple years ago it is more shallow than it was. It's that way all along the coast 50 miles in any direction. You can still wade out to whatever depth you desire... it's just a longer walk than it used to be is all. The water is still fantastic and inexpensive rentals are close at hand if you want to go out and play.

Have no concerns about going here... it might just be the best value in any port there is.

That's my opinion.

Cheers

I was at Pez Quatro in 2007 and now I'm going back to Costa Maya to see how Mahajual recovered from the hurricane. I booked Nohoch Kay thinking it was Pez Quatro as I had used Island Marketing for both. Now here I read that Pez Quatro is still in business and much larger than it was in 2007! The picture looks very inviting, better than Pez Quatro in 2007. Did Jaime take his final payment in USD????

I was at Pez Quatro in 2007 and now I'm going back to Costa Maya to see how Mahajual recovered from the hurricane. I booked Nohoch Kay thinking it was Pez Quatro as I had used Island Marketing for both. Now here I read that Pez Quatro is still in business and much larger than it was in 2007! The picture looks very inviting, better than Pez Quatro in 2007. Did Jaime take his final payment in USD????

Yes USD

I think you'll be happy

My wife and I were here on Tuesday of this week. Awesome experience. Great service, drinks and food. I also had an hour massage by Tracy and she did an awesome job. Paul, Josh, Betsy and Jaime were great. I would go again in a minute and recommend it highly!!

I understand that this facility is not a party scene which interests me but is it a place my 9 & 7 year old can place in the sand & surf for the day while hubbie & I sit and enjoy the view? Any families return and post? Or anyone not think this is the scene for families? totally understand if it is intended as adult only...

I must admit this being my first time there, and without researching first, we had no idea what to expect and getting into the cab and seeing the damage of the area before arriving there was a bit uncomfortable. Once we arrived Jaime's staff greeted us, and he arrived soon after. It was a cool day, not very sunny at first and nobody else was there except us for a couple of hours. Therefore we had their undivided attention for quite awhile:) We allowed Jaime to choose our food for us, he loved doing this! So much so that he was actually disappointed we couldn't eat more! The food was the FRESHEST and most delectable seafood I have ever eaten, just incredible! He creates his owns sauces as well, and even the fiery one (which I usually stay clear of) had so much flavor I just had to keep adding little drops here and there! Delicious! I SO wish we would had bought them to take home now (he sells them).

As far as bringing children, it was very low key when we were there, we left our children on the ship but they would have been fine there for a little while. However, other than the sand and the water there isn't anything really for children they could shop easily for souvenirs with adult supervision as they/you will be accosted from all vendors walking down the sidewalk selling their wares ready to price haggle.

The massage therapist wasn't there right away, so I took a walk up the sidewalk and ended up getting an hour massage on the beach for only $15! With that being said, it was okay, I got what I paid for~and when I got back to NochoKay their massage therapist (licensed) was giving a man a massage and I could easily see it was of far better quality. This is a place to come and relax, have some great food/drinks, sit on the beach (or open air indoors) and just relax. There was no music, so it wasn't the usual beach party atmosphere. I hate that Carnival leaves way earlier than the other cruise lines, this was the greatest way to end our ports of calls.

Just returend from here- we stumbled onto Nohoch Kay at the north end of the beach- the chairs and umbrellas are free, as are the kayaks and 2 small catamarans. Everyone on site comes by to introduce themselves, and you only have to raise your hand to get a server to help.

The masseuse was wonderful, and the food at Jaime's restaurant was great! It was very crowded when we went up for lunch (most tables were taken up by the cruise ship staff having their afternoon off at the best lunch place in town!) so the staff offered to bring us another table from the beach- we saw what they were about to do and offered to sit at the table that was on on beach for the Fly Fisherman's office! We ended up having our lunch on the beach, with an umbrella, on the fly fisherman's office table, looking at the Caribbean. Can't beat that!

I understand that they do have a website, and that it is best to reserve in advance as this is a compact site. We lucked into the best afternoon that we could have hoped for. Good luck to all of you to do the same!

We will be there in 4 weeks:) Can anyone fill me in on the atmosphere of the Nohoch Kay Beach Break vs. Pez Quatro thru Island Markenting? We are scheduled at Nohoch Kay and hope we made the right choice !!!!

Nohoch Kay sounds good but we decided for Pez Quadro because my husband wanted to experience beds on the beach, they also had swings at the bar. I found a lower rate here http://www.mahahualhotel.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have kind of a specific question. This is one of the three beach clubs we are looking at for Costa Maya and I was curious if anyone could tell me how comfortable the chairs are for a big guy. My big thing (no pun intended) is I hate to be sitting on a chair I feel like I'm about to break. Does this beach club have really sturdy chairs? I'm going to post this for all three of the clubs we are interested in.

6'6 ... 260 lbs.

The lounge chairs on the beach are plenty sturdy and comfortable. No problems there.

The chairs in the restaurant part are cheapo-plastic deals and did strain beneath my heft - but managed to keep my butt off the ground. But I've splayed the legs of similar chairs before.

You dont have to go to the restaurant ... and the only reason we did was because it was raining. The serve you food and beverages right to your chair on the beach. bluebezoarATgmailDOTcom.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our NCL cruise on the Pearl and we spent the day at Nohoch Kay Beach Break while in Costa Maya and we loved it!! When you first drive up, the side view of the bldg is "rough" but don't be deterred. We were greeted by Betty and then Stacey, who were most welcoming. Jaime, the owner of Nohoch Kay, is a genuinely kind person and provides a wonderful spot to spend a day relaxing in paradise! Jaime has a wonderful, attentive staff (Betty, Paul, Stacey and others) who will tend to your every need. Lunch was served personally by Jaime (included w/your day pass) and is fabulously fresh and delicious, especially the fish tacos!! The unlimited drinks are also delicious and offered all day long. Tips are gratefully accepted at the end of the day....and are well deserved!!

You can't go wrong in Nohoch Kay............tell Jaime that the "Cruisin' Sistas" from Boston say "hi".

Enjoy your day in Nohoch Kay....you won't be sorry!

Is the water and Ice safe here? Can I have a Margaritta or should I stick to beer?

Just spent the day in Costa Maya a week ago, and the water at Nohoch Kay is perfectly safe to drink as it is purified. Our group had mixed drinks throughout the day with no "problems". The food is fabulous.....the fish tacos, esp. the fried shrimp tacos....are out of this world!

Jaime and his staff are friendly, attentive and genuinely kind and welcoming!

A day in paradise at Nohoch Kay.

We were just there last week on the Dream... only thing we didn't like was having to leave so early. We had great food, drinks and service. The fly fishing guy was awesome. The massages were inexpensive and excellent. Our group of 6 all agreed it was truly paradise. For the cost of 2 Margaritas in Grand Cayman we ate and drank all day and can't wait to return.

Archived