What time of Year are Carribean cruise ships the least full??

LuvSand&Sun

I would think that September and October would be the least crowded because of Hurricane season and kids in school but I don't know that. I am very curious...a less crowded ship could be a possible reason to risk a less smooth ocean??

thanks,

Corinna

Its been my understanding that cruise lines will always sail with close to 100% capacity, even if it means significant price drops.

So sailling in off season may not mean less people on board, just cheaper prices and an older crowd.

They have the same number of staff for every ship, so if they don't fill up, they stand to lose a lot of money

I would think that September and October would be the least crowded because of Hurricane season and kids in school but I don't know that. I am very curious...a less crowded ship could be a possible reason to risk a less smooth ocean??

thanks,

Corinna

You're right about the Hurricane season, but the canceled/changed iteneraries, delays and port problems, etc. that go along with that may not be worth it.

As for what gtexan said, it may not necessarily be the TIME to cruise as to WHAT SHIP to cruise. Some are much more crowded than others. That's one of the main things I look at when deciding on which cruise to book. The passenger/space ratio.

That's why we love the Radiance class ships on RCI and the Millinium on Celebrity. They are huge ships with less pax.

When we were on the Mariner (140 gt - 3500 pax) and the Liberty (160 gt - 4000 pax) it was very crowded in the Buffet and the Dining Room.

Hope This Helps.

The cabins are occupied year round, but sometimes there are more cabins with three or four passengers. School vacations seem to be more crowded vs cruises when schools are in session.

Hurricane season is the cheapest, so it can be very crowded. The cruise lines also seem to really push the extra charge items (drinks, photos, etc), probably to make up for the low fares. If you decide to sail during hurricane season, be sure to get travel insurance. Our 3 day Caribbean cruise turned into a 2 day cruise and 7 days in a hotel in Florida eating tuna and train mix.

A ship will feel less crowded if it's a mostly older clientele and the ship has a lot of balconies (people would rather just stay in their room).

A ship will feel more crowded if there are a lot of kids and families.

If you're a night person (sleep in, stay up late, eat your meals late) you'll have a less crowded experience.

Lots of Great ideas...Thanks Everyone!! I like the idea of trying the Millennium ships...I have heard that they have larger aft balconies than the Solstice that I have up coming in April. On my upcoming trip I will be at the late seating in the MDR...dancing the night away and having breakfast on the balcony!!

Archived