Just off the Ruby 2/18 - 2/28 Eastern Caribbean

tedwit

We just returned from the Ruby 10 day eastern Caribbean cruise 2/18 – 2/28. I am a travel agent and this was my 10th cruise but my 1st with Princess. I was very impressed with all the food on board and especially the buffet food which was the best that I ever had on any cruise. It was also my 1st cruise with anytime dining and I loved it. Some days we were hungry earlier or later than usual and anytime dining is perfect for that. We never waited for a table. The passengers were all very friendly and I was very pleased with all the ships personnel. I was amazed that while boarding at port Everglades I carried an open wine tote with 6 bottles of wine exposed and I just put it through the x-ray machine and nobody even checked to see what was in the tote. Also when returning to the ship from the ports of call I twice carried a bottle of wine in a plastic grocery bag tied shut with nobody opening the bag, I could have carried liquor onto the ship and nobody cared. I had the coupon book so I took advantage of the 2 for 1 coffee card which I shared with the other couple traveling with us. The card now has the ship name and date of the cruise stamped on the back of it, I don’t know if I will be able to use it on a future cruise. I guess we will find out. Also despite what Princess sent me prior to the cruise stating that the specialty restaurants were resort casual on formal nights apparently nobody informed the restaurant managers at the Crown Grill and Sabatini’s. We were told that they were formal also. After telling them that I didn’t bring a jacket on the cruise because of what Princess stated in the email pre-cruise they both said that a long sleeve shirt was acceptable. Also at Vines I was told that I had to purchase wine if I wanted sushi, when I told the manager that I didn’t want wine he relented and let me have a plate of sushi. The Intercontinental Café was a great place to have a light breakfast or lunch and a great cup of coffee. I was very impressed with the constant entertainment throughout the ship at all hours of the day. We had a balcony cabin and we loved the walk in closet and the mattress was very firm and comfortable, also the balcony furniture was more comfortable than the plastic furniture we have had on our other cruises. Probably the only thing that I was surprised that Princess lacked was the interactive television that we have had on every cruise since we cruised on the Destiny in 1997. It made room service and booking tours and looking over your onboard account much easier. I guess they prefer for the passengers not to know how much they are spending without going to the purser’s desk. Overall I am sold on the Princess way of cruising and will definitely cruise Princess again and again. I am jealous of everybody who will be on the Ruby in the near future.

Thanks for your review, and it is great that you enjoyed the ship so much. We are looking forward to being on board in a couple of weeks.

Interesting to hear what you said about the alternate restaurants and dressing for formal night. We also found the same to be true on the Coral recently. Perhaps things are starting to change.

I am a TA also and did my commodore cruise on the Ruby last year and was instantly SOLD. So much so that I had the record for Princess bookings this past year for my office, and I we are going on the Emerald in 21 days....A cruise which I paid full price for cause I love the line so much..CANT WAIT!!!!

Thanks for the great review and so glad to hear how much you like the Ruby. I feel the same way and will be back on her for the third time next month. Can't wait! :p

Interesting about the coffee cards. I still have one from my last cruise that only has one crown punched. I sure hope I am still able to use it.

I am a TA also and did my commodore cruise on the Ruby last year and was instantly SOLD. So much so that I had the record for Princess bookings this past year for my office, and I we are going on the Emerald in 21 days....A cruise which I paid full price for cause I love the line so much..CANT WAIT!!!!

Are you telling us that with only one Princess cruise under your belt that you took the online TA course and are now ELITE??? Something is wrong with this picture. It took us 15 cruises and several thousand dollars to get that status.

Are you telling us that with only one Princess cruise under your belt that you took the online TA course and are now ELITE??? Something is wrong with this picture. It took us 15 cruises and several thousand dollars to get that status.

I think the OP is saying that as a travel agent, in his agency, he booked more Princess cruises (for agency clients) than other travel agents within his company.

We also just got off of the Ruby. We ate in the Crown Grill but were not that happy with it. We can cross it off of our list of things we wanted to do. We had great food in the diningroom and for the extra money it was not worth it. You can have all you want to eat in the main dining room and the steaks were not worth it. I had a rib eye and half of it was fatty and I could not even chew it.

Coffee card is good until all the punches are gone. We bought one last year on the Emerald and we used it again this time and still have a lot of punches left. We went down every morning for coffee and occationally a cappiccino.

We also had a great time on the Ruby.

We also just got off of the Ruby. We ate in the Crown Grill but were not that happy with it. We can cross it off of our list of things we wanted to do. We had great food in the diningroom and for the extra money it was not worth it. You can have all you want to eat in the main dining room and the steaks were not worth it. I had a rib eye and half of it was fatty and I could not even chew it.

Coffee card is good until all the punches are gone. We bought one last year on the Emerald and we used it again this time and still have a lot of punches left. We went down every morning for coffee and occationally a cappiccino.

We also had a great time on the Ruby.

I agree with you about the Crown Grill our steaks were fatty and I don't think we will return there. Sabatini's on the other hand was excellent and we will return next cruise. We are originally from New York and have been to some very good Italian restaurants and Sabatini's is one of the best we have eaten at. I hope the coffee card will still be good, I just pointed out that they never stamped the cards with the ship name and cruise date before.

Thanks for the review. We will be on the Ruby next Wed. Yippee. So I read this review with interest. I especially was reading about the Crown grill and their rib-eye steaks as my DH was looking forward to it. He has had rib-eye in the Crown Grill on other Princess ships and was very happy with it. Now I am wondering about this time and the rib-eye. I guess we will decide while we are on board.

Again thanks.

marilyn

Wanted to take a 10 day Ruby cruise in the carribbean next year,but only 7 day cruises next year.Will have to go on the Emerald instead.Darn,but maybe she will be just as nice.:(

Wanted to take a 10 day Ruby cruise in the carribbean next year,but only 7 day cruises next year.Will have to go on the Emerald instead.Darn,but maybe she will be just as nice.:(

She is!! and also identical. ;)

We did the 10 day on her 2 years ago.

I have a question for those who did NOT like the Crown Grille. Did you think to send it back and get something else? After all this is a paying venue. No flames, just asking?:)

MII - are you going to do a "live from?":)

Hi there: I am sorry to say that I just do not do "Live" from. I am not that computer savvy and frankly I am having too good of a time.:rolleyes: Sorry.

Marilyn

I have a question for those who did NOT like the Crown Grille. Did you think to send it back and get something else? After all this is a paying venue. No flames, just asking?:)

So now i know where you are hiding. Get back to your roll-call. I would have sent the steak back.

We were just on the Emerald 7 day and it is exactly the same as

the Ruby-Just booked 10 Eastern on the Emerald 02/16/111

Have a great cruise :)

Glad to hear the original poster/travel agent has discovered Princess first hand. Welcome to CC. There is alot of good information on this site. Its good to know your product too. As far as the instant Elite goes, lets not go there.

I didn't say that the steak was bad, just a little fatty. Actually the porterhouse had the most fat. We did discuss sending them back but by then we were no longer hungry. Overall I liked the Crown Grill, just not enough to return.

I agree, I was not hungry anymore after eating a few bites of the steak to send it back, plus we had been sitting long enough and to have to wait longer for another one, we were there for over 2 hours. My BIL had the filet and said it was good but after having gone there once and trying it we will not go back, we were just as happy in the main diningroom and did not have to pay extra for it. We have not tried Sabatini's. Maybe next cruise.

I would have sent it back...

Archived