To lock the bag or to not...

dcshoe

I'm about to leave on a CCL cruise and wondering if I should lock my bad or not. There won't be any expensive things in there, but my clothes/extra bathing suits/shoes will all be in there and I don't want anything stolen. I may also have other liquids in there, besides the usual shampoo/soap/mouthwash/toothpaste/shaving cream. Will I be more likely to be searched if I have a lock on there, or do most people lock their bags?

I'm about to leave on a CCL cruise and wondering if I should lock my bad or not. There won't be any expensive things in there, but my clothes/extra bathing suits/shoes will all be in there and I don't want anything stolen. I may also have other liquids in there, besides the usual shampoo/soap/mouthwash/toothpaste/shaving cream. Will I be more likely to be searched if I have a lock on there, or do most people lock their bags?

We fly alot and always lock by using electrical zip ties. The times the TSA has opened our luggage, they have replaced the ties and left a label on the suitcase telling us it was opened. Bring nail clippers in an outside pocket to cut the tie when you are ready to open your luggage.

I usually lock mine out of habit, but face it: If your luggage is fabric, breaking into it will take only a slash of a scissor or knife. On all the cruises and plane rides I've ever been on, I've never had a problem with people stealing stuff from my suitcase. I'm sure it can happen, but I bet the chances of it getting lost are far greater than the chances of it getting robbed.

We always lock our bags with TSA approved locks on the main section of our bags with zip locks on the outer pouches. I am more concerned about what someone might want to put into my bag as opposed to what one might want to take out!

Snow Bunny

I lock mine... end of discussion.

Once you had your bag over to the porter NO ONE will accept responsibility for it until it's in Carnival's possesion... on the ship.

I refuse to invite folks to dig through my things regardless of what I have in there.

Lock your bags! You wouldn't leave your car or house unlocked...why would you leave your personal items unlocked?

If they need/want to get in, they'll either call you, or cut the lock...at least, you'll know they've been pawing thru your things.

LOCK YOUR BAGS!

As someone else stated, why risk it? It's not worth it when you can protect your belongings and peace of mind with a $10 lock.

We own this TSA approved lock which alerts us if the TSA has opened it with a red tab. After our Legend cruise we returned home and the red tab was popped out, so we knew the TSA had opened our lock and searched our luggage.

Amazon.com has two of them for $7.75

being a first time cruiser im also curious. im not worried about my checked luggage being searched, but will locking it prone them to check your bags for alcohol/drugs/weapons etc? dont plan to bring ANY of it, but dont want anything i pack to get f*ed up, wrinkled, stained etc, want my first cruise to go without any hitches so would you suggest locking or not? i do own a few expensive shirts/pants- suit isn't cheap, and shoes aren't expensive but they are nice. just dont want to chance anything- reason i WOULD lock it, but also dont want it being searched in case something goes "missing".

would you say locking it makes TSA more likely to look inside or not?

Go ahead and lock it; I locked mine for my 2/14 cruise and both locked bags (plus the one unlocked bag) came to my room quickly, a lot faster than I thought they would. I was not called to open my bags or anything even though I had drinks (for my disabilities, one per day); canned dog food; wires (power strip, chargers, electric shaver/epilator, etc.); a large flashlight with a trigger; etc. in my bags.

I use TSA locks (one combination lock, one key lock). On my flights to Miami the TSA did search both locked bags [but not the two unlocked bags, though those wouldn't be confusing on an x-ray like the locked bags with lots of items in them would be] (the lock that has the indicator had the indicator popped up, plus they left notes in both bags) and on my flights from Miami they did not search them.

I think that a lock on a bag (which seems to be quite common) would actually deter an additional hand searching of luggage - but who really knows? :eek:

Just back from a cruise out of Miami and we locked our bags (we have used twist ties but one time the nail clipper fell out of the exterior pocket....) and the bags arrived intact outside our stateroom with the other liquids.;)

Archived