Anyone not wear a jacket or tie on formal night?

barberesr

Oh I'm sure he could. I've seen men in Hawaiian tops and slacks on formal night, it is what you make it and he certainly wont be "required,' to wear a jacket. If he looks nice there shouldn't be any problems. ;)

I know its a controversial topic so you will receive a hodge podge of responses, there will be many who agree, some who could care less and few that would say he'd be ruining the whole experience for everyone else :rolleyes: But from my observations, he may be better dressed than some :D

Formal is Formal, Tux or Dark suit with tie. There are other options if your brother prefers not to dress up on Formal Night. I have seen some cruise lines turn away passengers on Formal Night for not wearing appropriate attire and it can be very embarrassing for the passenger. If you are allowed in with casual dress, do expect to have some not so nice glares

I think the cruise lines are realizing that there are some passengers that just aren't going to adhere to the dress code and that is why they have created other dining choices such as, specialty or buffet. I believe that the Anytime on Formal Night expect the same dress code as the MDR

There are only 2 Formal Nights and I for one think it's great to dress up since rarely is there any reason to dress up at home. It is also a great opportunity to get those family portraits done, great Xmas gifts.

Have a great cruise.

He may be okay, or he may not be allowed in the MDR. Some maitre d's are more likely to turn away those who are not dressed as requested. (Yes, I've seen it happen.)

In the end, if it's not a big deal if he gets turned away, then I guess he can try it.

On the Caribbean Princess last month there were a number of men wearing just nice dress shirts on formal night and if there were any nasty glares they seemed to survive. If that's what he's comfortable in then that will be fine. A big deal is made here about the attire for formal night but IMO opinion is if the cruise lines want people to step it up for one or two nights a cruise then the cruise lines need to step it up in the quality of food and service that night. The only thing different on formal night is the way they want you to dress,nothing else is special.

Wondered if my brother could get away with wearing a nice shirt and black pants for formal night in the dining room?

We are sailing on Princess.

I've been on NUMEROUS Princess cruises and never wore a tux or dark suit for formal night. I wear black pants, long sleeve button down shirt and a tie. Never had a problem eating in the MDR. There are 2 reasons I do not wear a suit. 1) The dining room can get kind of warm and when I get warm I can get seasick. So I end up taking the jacket off anyway. 2) My luggage has been lost (but found) twice, I do not want to risk losing a $500 suit because of what others on a cruise think of me when I do not wear a "dark suit".

He'll be fine.

Wondered if my brother could get away with wearing a nice shirt and black pants for formal night in the dining room?

We are sailing on Princess.

I always wear a tux or suit and tie to the Main Dining room on formal nights, and sometimes to the Caribe Cafe.

I wear these to get in the spirit of the evening, and to please my wife, who always is pleased when I make the effort to dress nicely for her.

We had one cruise where she was not feeling well and we went casual to the Cafe Caribe, then to a show afterward. I was the only one in the theater not in formal wear. So remember Formal nights are a ship wide event, although the dress code is for the Main Dining Rooms.

Just came off the Crown and my BIL wore dark pants, long-sleeved shirt and tie for anytime dining. DH had dark sport coat and tie. That seemed to be the most popular attire. There were tuxedos too.

I don't remember seeing any man in shorts as some have claimed.

The minimum dress for the guys is a long sleeve shirt without a jacket or tie and dress pants. For some reason the head waiters seem to dislike having them show their forearms but once seated they can be rolled up to be comfortable. If he does bring a jacket then he can wear a short sleeve shirt & hang the jacket on the chair once past the checkpoint at the door.

I've sailed Princess nine times (already booked number ten) and never wear a jacket to formal night. It's always the same, long-sleeved dress shirt and dress slacks. The only person on that ship that should care what I wear is my wife and she hasn't worried about my clothing choice in the sixteen years we've been married.

I've never had so much as a second glance by any maitre d' or head waiter when coming into the dining room whether it be in the MDR or anytime dining and the only time I've seen people turned away was one person wearing jeans and a t-shirt. As cruising continues to become even more mainstream, I'll be glad to see this "tradition" that still hangs on from when only the wealthy could afford it fade. People here care more about what other people wear than the people actually on the ship do. As long as your brother makes an effort noboby on the ship will care what he's wearing.

We were on the Crown at Christmas and didn't bring formal clothes at all, and had no intention of going to the DR for formal night. The head waiter was talking to us, this subject came up, and he told us to come anyway, and so we did and had a good time.

I think the dress code enforcement is a ship by ship decision.

Anyway, a button down shirt and pants should be fine anyway, have seen a lot of people wearing less and still not turned away.

Princess brings these issues on themselves, at least in part, by not having enforcement of their suggested dress code and could probably alleviate this problem all together if they offered the same entree choices in the buffet area as they offer in the dining room on formal nights. From reading threads on this subject here, most people seem interested in the food on formal nights and would otherwise go to the buffet if they could get lobster or other entrees served on the formal nights.

Mike

We were on the Crown at Christmas and didn't bring formal clothes at all, and had no intention of going to the DR for formal night. The head waiter was talking to us, this subject came up, and he told us to come anyway, and so we did and had a good time.

I think the dress code enforcement is a ship by ship decision.

Anyway, a button down shirt and pants should be fine anyway, have seen a lot of people wearing less and still not turned away.

Princess brings these issues on themselves, at least in part, by not having enforcement of their suggested dress code and could probably alleviate this problem all together if they offered the same entree choices in the buffet area as they offer in the dining room on formal nights. From reading threads on this subject here, most people seem interested in the food on formal nights and would otherwise go to the buffet if they could get lobster or other entrees served on the formal nights.

Mike

It has been mentioned several times recently here that lobster is available in the buffet on formal night.

Mike

Or designate one of the anytime dining rooms a formal optional. There seem to be more & more people lately who just want a relaxing vacation without the hassle of dragging along all the extra clothing for a few hours of being dressed in the DR. Considering the extra space for the formal clothes & the short time they're actually being worn many people are opting out but getting short changed at the Horizon buffet.

It has been mentioned several times recently here that lobster is available in the buffet on formal night.

There's also hundreds of people sneezing on the food (sneeze guards only work for people taller than about 5'6"), wiping their nose and then touching the serving utensils, kids sticking their fingers in the food, countless kitchen trays full of lukewarm food, etc. I eat in buffets when there's no other choice, not when there's a miniscule chance that someone may be offended by my choice in clothing.

Or designate one of the anytime dining rooms a formal optional.

I send this exact same message to Princess by e-mail and comment card after every cruise that I take with them.

I really don't get it....why not wear a tie???? You can buy one anywhere, borrow one from anybody, it weighs nothing in a suitcase, and as long as you have a neck to hang it from...put one on for formal night. Is it too much to ask of a grown man to do, for a mere two hours? I repeat, I really don't get it. Someone help me here, am I missing something?

I really don't get it....why not wear a tie???? You can buy one anywhere, borrow one from anybody, it weighs nothing in a suitcase, and as long as you have a neck to hang it from...put one on for formal night. Is it too much to ask of a grown man to do, for a mere two hours? I repeat, I really don't get it. Someone help me here, am I missing something?

You seem to be missing the "ME" generation who seem to feel that they can do what they want, when they want. I think it is part of the so called "dumbing down of America" and it is quite sad.

There's also hundreds of people sneezing on the food (sneeze guards only work for people taller than about 5'6"), wiping their nose and then touching the serving utensils, kids sticking their fingers in the food, countless kitchen trays full of lukewarm food, etc. I eat in buffets when there's no other choice, not when there's a miniscule chance that someone may be offended by my choice in clothing.

I was merely responding to the other person who said lobster should be available in the buffet, not making any value judgements, sheesh.

My understanding is it's lobster claws, not the tail.

Mike

I don't eat lobster, not even in the MDR, so I guess that difference is lost on me. :o

It is simply a matter of good taste and proper manners. Males who do not wear a tux, suit, and/or dinner jacket etc., on formal night, if they possess good taste and proper manners, should dine elsewhere.

Princess sets the suggestion for dress and enforces at their desire, they choose to allow passengers into the dining room without a jacket. We, as passengers, don't set the policies or have the responsibility of enforcing them. The ridiculous attitude that clothing choices equal good taste and proper manners comes up every once and a while here. Every time I ask the same thing... If a group comes to the dining room on formal night in a "proper attire" and gets slobbering drunk and obnoxious, should Princess (or the posters here on CC) ban alcohol on the ship or would this behavior be in good taste and proper manners because of their clothing? To take it a step further, define obnoxious. Behavior that offends one person and affects their dining room experience will be completely acceptable to another. Worry about yourself and the people you're with and the clothing choice someone else makes won't affect your trip. The clothes on a persons' back don't mean anything, they're just scraps of cloth sewn together in some third-world nation.

Archived