Lunenburg & Mahone Bay with Halifax Highlights (HAL Tour)

I normally do mostly private tours but usually end up with one or even two from the ship. When I do private they are usually very full and complex such as recently leaving a ship overnight to fly to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat and other Angkor temples.

For our Canada/New England trip my DH wants something more relaxing. We have been to Halifax including Peggy's Cove and the Citadel and rented a car for a few days there. DH does not want to rent a car this trip.

One of the things I want to do on this cruise is go to Lunenburg. Ideally I wanted a half day do it on your own, basically transportation for 4 hours (I understand it is 1 hour to get there?)

I am considering HAL's "tour" but it is a full day 7 hours so leaves really no time to walk around the waterfront in Halifax unless Maasdam is right there.

Is there enough to do in Lunnenburg for 2 hours (recommendations for lunch)? What about an hour in Mahone Bay?

I assume a private driver will be more for 2 people.

$79.00pp isn't too bad for HAL but would have preferred a half day on your own for $49.00 or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

==

Lunenburg & Mahone Bay with Halifax Highlights Easy ActivityLimited Capacity

Price Price $79

Duration Approximately 7 Hours

Description

Experience Nova Scotia's legendary South Shore, renowned for its

quaint fishing villages and rugged coastal beauty. The first stop on

this coastal expedition is Mahone Bay, land of wooden boats and wooden

churches. Further along the coastal route is the striking waterfront

town of Lunenburg (1753)—a UNESCO World Heritage Site admired for its

meticulously restored buildings, colorful waterfront and charming,

narrow streets. You'll also enjoy the Lunenburgers' unique accent

(German was spoken here until well into the 1800s). You'll have some

time to explore on your own, perhaps to visit the Fisheries Museum of

Lunenburg (a small fee). Lunch is on your own, giving you an

opportunity to sample fresh local seafood and traditional specialties.

Returning to town, drive around Citadel Hill, hear all about the

Halifax Explosion of 1917 and admire the Georgian town clock.

Notes The time in Mahone Bay (approximately one hour) and Lunenburg

(approximately two hours) will be on your own.

You will be docked in the best part of the Harbour area in Halifax. Right next to the Pier 21 Museum which is wonderful and a brief walk to many other wonderful things.

I rented a cottage in Mahone Bay and think the area is nice. Lunnenburg is scenic and historic. Would I give up a full day in Halifax for them? My only day in Halifax!

No!

Nor would I spend that much for the tour.

Halifax is an absolutely wonderful city and a great place to visit. A little WEB research will give you plenty of information. I have visited Halifax many, many times but will take about any excuse to return. I generally get around on foot and love doing so even in cold weather which should not be an issue for you.

Take some of that money and buy yourself a nice seafood dinner in a place with a view (there are many such places) and enjoy being on your own.

I read the HAL tour description and have to tell you I've never heard any "Lunenburgers' unique accent"! Many people who live in Lunenburg have come from all over Canada and the U.K. Never noticed any type of unique accent!!

If you've already been through Halifax, IMO, you've probably seen almost everything. I have a house in Blue Rocks, which is in between Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, so I know that area fairly well. Absolutely beautiful, especially in the summer.

If you want to go to the south shore, I would rent a car and drive to Lunenburg myself. Yes, it's about an hour drive, it's easy and it would be quite difficult to get lost. If your husband doesn't want to rent a car and drive, perhaps you could find another couple and hire a driver, if it's less expensive than HAL's tour. If you haven't been to Lunenburg, I'd recommend taking one of the horse drawn carriage rides. Can't miss them; they are down by the water on the main street. You will learn a lot about the area and town, and get to see almost everything, and some of the drivers are pretty entertaining. Go down to the waterfront and look at the monument to the fishermen lost at sea.

There's lots of shops and art galleries, and you could easily spend a couple hours in Lunenburg.

For lunch, if it's open, I like Magnolia's Grill; it's a fairly small place so eat early to avoid having to wait. I can't think of anywhere else I would recommend you eat there that's not an awful tourist trap, but we all like different things.

It's not hard to spend an hour in Mahone Bay. There's really just one main street where most of the stores are located. A nice place to get souvenirs is at Birdsall-Worthington Pottery.

If you need a coffe fix, I recommend the Biscuit Eater (where there's also free wifi). If you are in Mahone Bay at lunch time, I like the Cheescake Gallery or even the Gazebo Cafe. If the weather's nice, you can sit outside both places. Avoid the Innlet Cafe in Mahone Bay. Nasty. You can get a sandwich and usually some great pie at Jo-Ann's Deli Market.

Some of these restaurants are open only seasonally, so check in advance. Gazebo Cafe just seems to open when they feel like it. A specialty of this region is fish cakes, served with a rhubarb chutney.

You will be docked in the best part of the Harbour area in Halifax. Right next to the Pier 21 Museum which is wonderful and a brief walk to many other wonderful things.

I rented a cottage in Mahone Bay and think the area is nice. Lunnenburg is scenic and historic. Would I give up a full day in Halifax for them? My only day in Halifax!

No!

Nor would I spend that much for the tour.

Halifax is an absolutely wonderful city and a great place to visit. A little WEB research will give you plenty of information. I have visited Halifax many, many times but will take about any excuse to return. I generally get around on foot and love doing so even in cold weather which should not be an issue for you.

Take some of that money and buy yourself a nice seafood dinner in a place with a view (there are many such places) and enjoy being on your own.

If Dh does not want to rent a car perhaps I should look at a driver for half a day/4 hours.

The issue is that we just got back from Asia and drivers posted for some of these ports look really expensive, plus are not going to want a half day fare if they can book for a full day.

The question is how else can I get to Lunnenburg for half a day, 2 hours there?.

I read the HAL tour description and have to tell you I've never heard any "Lunenburgers' unique accent"! Many people who live in Lunenburg have come from all over Canada and the U.K. Never noticed any type of unique accent!!

If you've already been through Halifax, IMO, you've probably seen almost everything. I have a house in Blue Rocks, which is in between Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, so I know that area fairly well. Absolutely beautiful, especially in the summer.

If you want to go to the south shore, I would rent a car and drive to Lunenburg myself. Yes, it's about an hour drive, it's easy and it would be quite difficult to get lost. If your husband doesn't want to rent a car and drive, perhaps you could find another couple and hire a driver, if it's less expensive than HAL's tour. If you haven't been to Lunenburg, I'd recommend taking one of the horse drawn carriage rides. Can't miss them; they are down by the water on the main street. You will learn a lot about the area and town, and get to see almost everything, and some of the drivers are pretty entertaining. Go down to the waterfront and look at the monument to the fishermen lost at sea.

There's lots of shops and art galleries, and you could easily spend a couple hours in Lunenburg.

For lunch, if it's open, I like Magnolia's Grill; it's a fairly small place so eat early to avoid having to wait. I can't think of anywhere else I would recommend you eat there that's not an awful tourist trap, but we all like different things.

It's not hard to spend an hour in Mahone Bay. There's really just one main street where most of the stores are located. A nice place to get souvenirs is at Birdsall-Worthington Pottery.

If you need a coffe fix, I recommend the Biscuit Eater (where there's also free wifi). If you are in Mahone Bay at lunch time, I like the Cheescake Gallery or even the Gazebo Cafe. If the weather's nice, you can sit outside both places. Avoid the Innlet Cafe in Mahone Bay. Nasty. You can get a sandwich and usually some great pie at Jo-Ann's Deli Market.

Some of these restaurants are open only seasonally, so check in advance. Gazebo Cafe just seems to open when they feel like it. A specialty of this region is fish cakes, served with a rhubarb chutney.

Thank you for all of the great recommendations!

• 3 weeks later...

Another place to have lunch would be at the Mug & Anchor Pub in Mahone Bay. It's popular with the locals and located on the waterfront. It will likely be cheaper than similar establishments in Lunenburg while still providing a local menu.

Here is a menu that I found online:

http://southshorenow.ca/carolyn/mug-anchor-menu.pdf

Another great shop in Mahone Bay is Amos Pewter. Both Amos Pewter and the Mug & Anchor are located on the main street.

Normally I would recommend someone stay in Halifax, but since you've already been there before I definitely suggest visiting Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. They are both beautiful towns.

There is way more to do in Lunenberg than two hours will allow, but it will give you a taste. It is full of history (there are walking tours available), the excellent fisheries museum which includes the chance to climb aboard and old deep sea fishing boat, great galleries and shops and wonderful views.

There is a distict accent there even from the rest of Nova Scotia (at least for old timers.) Try talking to a local fisherman or similar.

Magnolias is the place to eat. I go there every time I am in Lunenberg which is often.

Mahone Bay is beautiful and has great shops.

I would also suggest that you rent a car. The driving is easy and this way you can go at your own pace. A second thought is a private tour with a couple others.

The ship tour will take you to tourist traps.

Thank you to everyone!

My DH does not want to rent a car, and he is a great driver and we have rented in Canada before.

I am going to try to find a driver who will pick us up in the morning and take cash that day. Ideally we can go with a 5 hour program (8:00am-1:00pm) with drop-off back in Halifax. Hopefully we can find others on our roll call to join us so price is less (at least not more) than HAL $79.00pp. I just wish they ha a shorter "on your own" excursion.

Thank you all also for the restaurant suggestions. I will look into Magnolias as it sounds like we want to spend most of the time in Lunenburg. Is Mahone Bay closer or farther from Halifax?

Another great shop in Mahone Bay is Amos Pewter. Both Amos Pewter and the Mug & Anchor are located on the main street.

Normally I would recommend someone stay in Halifax, but since you've already been there before I definitely suggest visiting Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. They are both beautiful towns.

Thank you Autumn 3.

There is way more to do in Lunenberg than two hours will allow, but it will give you a taste. It is full of history (there are walking tours available), the excellent fisheries museum which includes the chance to climb aboard and old deep sea fishing boat, great galleries and shops and wonderful views.

There is a distict accent there even from the rest of Nova Scotia (at least for old timers.) Try talking to a local fisherman or similar.

Magnolias is the place to eat. I go there every time I am in Lunenberg which is often.

Mahone Bay is beautiful and has great shops.

I would also suggest that you rent a car. The driving is easy and this way you can go at your own pace. A second thought is a private tour with a couple others.

The ship tour will take you to tourist traps.

Maryann, thank you for all of your advice. This sounds perfect.

Archived