Jeans??

proudmomma

You will find a lot of discussions on this subject on the board. Celebrity's policy is no jeans in the evening at all, only during the day time in casual dining areas. If you are going to the caribbean it is really too hot to wear jeans in my opinion. We didn't see anyone in jeans in the MDR. Others have said they have worn them and gotten away with it. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing jeans when everyone else is dressing up. I wore sundresses, slacks and skirts on non-formal nights.

Wear your fav clothes on YOUR vacation. But I suggest a back up pair of slacks for the MDR. Please post again after your cruise as I've been turned away from the MDR for wearing culottes the first night and a friend was turned away at the MDR for wearing bermuda shorts to an afternoon tea. -Maris

Wear your fav clothes on YOUR vacation. But I suggest a back up pair of slacks for the MDR. Please post again after your cruise as I've been turned away from the MDR for wearing culottes the first night and a friend was turned away at the MDR for wearing bermuda shorts to an afternoon tea. -Maris

You and your friend were turned away because shorts are not allowed in the dining room in the evening or for the teas. Had you both worn capri pants, there would be no problem.:) Just picking out and wearing "fav" clothes doesn't make it on X. Other lines, fine.

Hey all, heading on my Celebrity cruise on March 11, I read that we can wear "slacks" at night, are we not supposed to wear jeans at all? :confused: Thanks a bunch!!

Smart casual evenings allow pants and a nice top...as well as capris, skirts,dresses, skirts etc. Smart casual is a well put together outfit. If you have dark DRESS jeans put together with a pretty top and heels, you could get by. (much discussion here)

However, just an every day pair of jeans that you'd wear running errands with a cotton t shirt, would not be considered smart casual. Take along a pair of nice black or navy slacks and mix it up with different tops or sweaters.

Oh my, another thread about "dress codes"! I wouldn't worry . . . while they may not allow you in the MDR in jeans, I can't imagine them being able to restrict you from the other common areas on the ship. When I asked a similar question, among the rediculous answers I got were to go buy a dress at David's Bridal! I'm still laughing. The ship is 3 1/2 football fields long. I'll be danged if I'm going to be dressed up in heels navagating a ship this size. It's your vacation and dress as you wish. If my flip flops ruin someones vacation, so be it.

I'll be on the Eclipse - what do men wear normally wear on Formal nights ?

By percentage, highest to lowest...

Dark suit

sport coat/pants and tie

tux or white dinner jacket

sport coat with no tie

a handful.... no jacket, long sleeve shirt with a tie

I'm glad I clicked on this thread, this is news to me! Totally surprised that Celebrity says no jeans in the dining room. I'm a loyal Royal Caribbean cruiser, and I've always worn jeans in the dining room. The nice "pricey" jeans. But it doesn't sound like Celebrity will allow it. Guess I'll have to throw a pair of slacks in to my luggage.

I'm still laughing. The ship is 3 1/2 football fields long. I'll be danged if I'm going to be dressed up in heels navagating a ship this size. It's your vacation and dress as you wish. If my flip flops ruin someones vacation, so be it.

Obviously if you have mobility problems and choose not to wear heels, that has nothing to do with dress recommendations. Heels are not required...on ANY cruiseline. :confused:

The MDR does NOT allow shorts, tank tops, flip flops etc. and you will indeed be turned away wearing those on any night. The above is not "smart casual". That is all beach casual. Fine for all day. So unless you plan on eating in the buffet area, no, you can't really decide to dress however "you wish" for the Main dining room. :rolleyes:

Formal nights range from " Sunday best" to cocktail dresses, dressy silk/crepey pants or skirt with a dressy top to long dresses. Long dresses are not the majority.

Again, a newbie to X that doesn't "get" that their ships have different atmosphere than the mainstreams. They are not like NCL or Carnival or RCCL. Not right or wrong. Just different.

I also may be a "newbie" to X, but have cruised Carnival, NCL, RC & Princess several times. I just met with our travel agent after reading all the negative posts on these boards about dress code, (we have already booked X). She assures me that although there may be a few "haughty" folks aboard, she reminded me, will be cruising Celebrity, not Cunard! We considered several factors when booking this cruise; ports, price, available suites etc., and Celebrity beat all others in price and amenities. My husband & I prefer to skip the formal evenings as we have no desire to cart around another 75 lbs. of luggage. We attend several formal functions throughout the year so dressing up for us is not a big deal. But for those who enjoy spending hours primping, I say enjoy, but that is not our idea of a vacation.

Assuming that everyone takes a shower so they are clean and brushes their hair so they don't look like they just got out of bed, it doesn't take much longer to put on one kind of clothing than another. You'd think people were going au naturel.:rolleyes: I don't get it. It doesn't take me any longer to get ready on formal night than on smart casual nights. What does haughty have to do with following the ship's request? Seems like basic consideration to me.

Tux or suit; and, a few wear a dinner jacket.

This has always confused me, so I looked it up! a Tuxedo is the same thing as a dinner jacket, just a US term for the same thing. Originated in the Tuxedo Park Club in 1886 when the style of dress was brought back from the UK.

Today my husband and I had a meeting with our CPA to discuss the information I gave him to prepare our taxes. This CPA purchased the firm from our former accountant who retired last year. Whenever we met with our former CPA he was wearing a nice suit while this one was dressed in a pullover shirt and very casual pants. I realize this has nothing to do with his ability to do his job but it doesn't feel the same when the professional who is preparing our taxes is dressed a lot more casually than we were.

With that said, I realize that people in all walks of life dress much more casually now than they did a few years ago, but I still think that the way people are dressed affects overall ambiance, as well as the way people react to them. Of course, this is just my humble opinion and most people today probably feel that is an archaic way to think.

IMO, there is a certain elegance that inherently goes along with simply being on luxury cruise ships - even those marketed to the masses with rock climbing walls, mini-golf, water slides, etc. I bought a tux today for our upcoming cruise - $91 brand new (big sale at JCP). They aren't that expensive and owning beats renting. Formal night is exactly that - formal. Why not dress appropriately?

The only thing I can figure is they don't like to shower or change clothes before dinner.:eek:

Well, that is a smart answer. It's only clothes and everyone has an opinion on what exactly is smart casual. I have seen from one extreme to the other in the specialty restaurants and not one word was said by the staff. We have gotten to the point where we don't enjoy dressing up and are content to eat in the buffet. While formal clothes don't add up to 75 lbs., they do take up space you could use for other attire, especially on a long cruise. Our next one is a 14 day European cruise and with the airline restrictions, formal attire for 3 formal nights is crazy. On our last one, I saw fellow cruisers wearing the same outfit for all 3 formal nights and I understand why. It just doesn't pay to load up on formal attire.

Oh my, another thread about "dress codes"! I wouldn't worry . . . while they may not allow you in the MDR in jeans, I can't imagine them being able to restrict you from the other common areas on the ship. When I asked a similar question, among the rediculous answers I got were to go buy a dress at David's Bridal! I'm still laughing. The ship is 3 1/2 football fields long. I'll be danged if I'm going to be dressed up in heels navagating a ship this size. It's your vacation and dress as you wish. If my flip flops ruin someones vacation, so be it.

I'm disabled and cannot wear anything but totally flat shoes, and despite that I've managed to find lovely, beaded flats that look good even with my long gowns.

Archived