Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

i voted yes because personally i don't care for it. on the other hand, i am not uncomfortable nor feel like i am disrupted. i can simply choose not to pay attention. i think it would be more entertaining for me if they would get some new songs and routines. it's the same ole same ole after a while.

if the wait staff enjoys it and other people as well, then who am i to complain. like i said i can ignore or get up and leave.:)

What do you think? I vote yes...how about you? I find it disruptive, and I feel sorry for the folks forced to do it!

Agreed, the waiters would try and drag my kids up there all the time and they had no interest (our whole table didn't and we made it clear from day one). They still hound us, why - leave us be.

I think if they have to do it, it should be done slighty later and with warning so those not interested can leave. I get it, it's cute it's from the old days. Maybe do it only on certain nights - like formal nights (oops another sore subject for many).

Personally as a 50 + year old man I find it silly. We did sit with people at lunch one day who loved it, they were in their 80's and on there 50 something cruise though........

Think of the money they would save in training these people too!!

Also taking a pole here doesn't give people a proper cross section of passengers.

Agreed, the waiters would try and drag my kids up there all the time and they had no interest (our whole table didn't and we made it clear from day one). They still hound us, why - leave us be.

I think if they have to do it, it should be done slighty later and with warning so those not interested can leave. I get it, it's cute it's from the old days. Maybe do it only on certain nights - like formal nights (oops another sore subject for many).

Personally as a 50 + year old man I find it silly. We did sit with people at lunch one day who loved it, they were in their 80's and on there 50 something cruise though........

Also taking a pole here doesn't give people a proper cross section of passengers.

:D You don't have to be in your 80's to enjoy it.. I'm sorry I had a giggle. We're all dfferent. Life's too short not to laugh sometimes.. :)

Perhaps, they could have a non-entertaining dining time. I bet you'd find more people want to see the dancing waiters, though.

I think it's one of the things "fun" about a Carnival funship. For me, a cruise is a diversion from the everyday stresses of life and I enjoy a little silliness. If I wanted a snobbish, sedate cruise - I would pick a different cruise line.

My daughter commented that she enjoyed getting to see our waiters have a good time after watching them work so hard. I enjoy the conga line and the other dances better than the singing, though. I probably wouldn't miss that.

As for demeaning - I guess I think that's in the eye of the beholder. Watching the dancers in the production show wearing thong outfits and mooning the audience - to me, that's more demeaning to watch so I skip it.

Agree, I voted no.

Sheila

THe only way that this will resonate with them is if you marked them down for it on the Comment Card.

Perhaps, they didn't note it in their diary.

Want to avoid it? Arrive early, and eat fast, regardless of whether you're sitting near a pole or not.

Why is that?

I was just watching some old videos of past cruises this week, and was reminiscing the frivolity of those old times, old tablemates, and long forgotten serve staff.

And the fun everyone was having,

Went to a wedding last year, where the bride wanted to "cut all that nonsence" out of her reception. Most boring wedding I EVER attended.

It suprises me because, putting aside how I feel about it, it seems I am always reading threads and comments about how people think it's cheesey and how to avoid it. I had assumed that the poll would be skewed towards wanting the song and dance gone....

Perhaps, they didn't note it in their diary.

Want to avoid it? Arrive early, and eat fast, regardless of whether you're sitting near a pole or not.

I avoid it by doing Anytime dining, so only catch a show or two per 7 nights. Works out well.

It suprises me because, putting aside how I feel about it, it seems I am always reading threads and comments about how people think it's cheesey and how to avoid it. I had assumed that the poll would be skewed towards wanting the song and dance gone....

My experience that people are more inclined to start and write about things they dislike, rather than thing they like.

My experience that people are more inclined to start and write about things they dislike, rather than thing they like.

No kidding. That's how it always is. Many people only comment to complain. I can't remember the last time someone said "I really loved the dancing waiters, really made the cruise." But each to their own. Like I said, Anytime dining has pretty much eliminated the dance routine for us. Once a week is fine for us, don't really want more than that.

We really miss the singing and dancing when we cruise on a line that does not have it in the MDR. I do remember though the first time I experienced it feeling differently. I thought, "Oh how tacky." Now it is an important part of cruising. I am happy Carnival has kept the MDR entertainment.

I don't mind maybe once, but some cruises it is done every night. We have been on cruises where we eat fast enough so when they "dim the lights" we can take off and run. Like I said, once maybe the last night but every night is a bit much. We did notice on the Dream, they had to line up on the staircase due to there being so many tables packed into those dining rooms. No conga dances through the dining room, in fact if you had to leave, almost every table had to have one person get up so you could pass. The Dream dining rooms were crowded with tables and chairs.

Worse was the "table artist"! We get a table for two so we can enjoy dinner together. First come the photographers which are annoying, and then the second wave of photographers not realizing where the other photographer left off so he asks again. A table for two means they want either me or my husband to get up and stand behind the chair of the one left seated.

Then comes this guy who is NOT funny, with a cheap deck of cards, talking a mile a minute about his show in the lounge at midnight. He does this while performing grade school tricks with a deck of cards. Never mind you were have a nice conversation that he barged into. Then the waiters dancing and don't forget the pirate by the elevator who also needs to grab you by the neck for a photo op...

We vote for a nice dinner with minimal interruptions.

When I read the headliner for this thread, I thought this OP is going to wish they never posted THIS. But I am really surprised that the vote is almost tie. Seriously?

On my last cruise I took my 70 year old aunt only to say thank you because she introduced cruising to me when I was 12 and I have been cruising ever since. Our 4th night at dinner, they flashed the lights and started dancing, clapping, swirling dinner napkins and my 70 year old aunt got up and started to dance with the waiters and I tried to laugh, but ended up crying. I cried because I was so happy, I was so thankful my girls were there and we were all watching our favorite aunt have the time of her life. I am sure she never heard of Lee Ann Womack - I Hope You Dance but she did not sit this one out, she DANCED. She danced for my grandmother, my grandfather, her brother.... and I am glad of it! It is what I remember the most when I think of her. I dont know how much longer the Good Lord is going to allow me to borrow her...but I will always remember....she danced!

Come on you guys...I signed up for the funship. Can you define fun? Next cruise you guys, I hope:

You never lose your sense of wonder

You get your fill to eat

But always keep that hunger

May you never take one single breath for granted

God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small

When you stand by the ocean

Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens

Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

I voted "no".

It's enjoyable....

Those passengers who don't like it are quite able to leave the dining room.

Thats the problem. The aisles are blocked by the dancers and I have been unable to leave many times. If they gave a warning, I wonder how many would leave to avoid the "entertainment".

I was kinda wondering about this the other day. I think this whole forum has just about turned into an editorial page for individual agendas.

Do youy like this or that.....why in a hurry to get on the ship...off the ship...get to your cabin, an excursion.....and on and on.....and then have to deal with all the flaming......yikes..i cant wait to cruise!

I have only been on 2 cruises, both with Carnival and we loved the singing and dancing. The first cruise on formal night, our waiter pulled my mom up and they danced a waltz. The 2nd cruise, on the last night our waiter pulled both of our teen kids up who would normally never do something like that and they were all dancing. SO for me, I am glad they do it!

When I read the headliner for this thread, I thought this OP is going to wish they never posted THIS. But I am really surprised that the vote is almost tie. Seriously?

On my last cruise I took my 70 year old aunt only to say thank you because she introduced cruising to me when I was 12 and I have been cruising ever since. Our 4th night at dinner, they flashed the lights and started dancing, clapping, swirling dinner napkins and my 70 year old aunt got up and started to dance with the waiters and I tried to laugh, but ended up crying. I cried because I was so happy, I was so thankful my girls were there and we were all watching our favorite aunt have the time of her life. I am sure she never heard of Lee Ann Womack - I Hope You Dance but she did not sit this one out, she DANCED. She danced for my grandmother, my grandfather, her brother.... and I am glad of it! It is what I remember the most when I think of her. I dont know how much longer the Good Lord is going to allow me to borrow her...but I will always remember....she danced!

Come on you guys...I signed up for the funship. Can you define fun? Next cruise you guys, I hope:

You never lose your sense of wonder

You get your fill to eat

But always keep that hunger

May you never take one single breath for granted

God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small

When you stand by the ocean

Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens

Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

Ok, now you went and made me cry too. :o

But in a good way. :) I love that song, one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing such a sweet memory! ~Francie

I voted no. :cool: Traveling with 2 teenagers being dressed up at a fancy sit down meal (instead of at the pool or arcade)then all of a sudden music with dancing pops out...it makes smiles on their face again. Especially when they pull the kids out of their seats to join on the konga line! :p

Keep it, its the FUN SHIP!

Archived