Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

So agree about Ken Byrne. Way over the top as a MD. And his singing is a pleasure to listen to.

Unfortunately, there's at least one imitator out there, that should cease and desist. Besides looking like Sgt. Shultz AKA John Banner, he wasn't what I would call a singerM

I think it's past stupid and demeaning to the dinner staff. A waiter from Eastern Europe told us he detested doing it, felt like a monkey in a zoo.

Any reason why he took the job. or didn`t quit? Did he feign ignorance about the activity when his job was explained to him?

Fortunately, every one of our serve staff on every one of our cruises seemed to perform the activity with Glee, and was exacerbated when we started bringing DD with us.

I am not a fan of the singing and dancing, so would not mind if they quit doing it. On Disney cruise line, the waitstaff spends more time chatting with you and joking around- instead of singing and dancing. On the last night, Disney waitstaff parades around to music with the baked Alaska dessert and the kids (and adults) can get up and dance and that is plenty enough of a show for me during dinner on a cruise.

I haven't read through all 344 posts, but this is one of my pet peeves with Carnival. I would pay extra $ to not have to witness this. It's humiliating for the servers and it's just stupid. Please, FTLOG, don't do it any more. I have walked out of the dining room and forsaken my beloved chocolate melting cake just because I can't stand to watch this nonsense.

On ships with the Steakhouse you have that option...problem solved.:D

I hope everyone that finds it distracting and disturbing to their formal dining atmosphere and all that are also the people that still adhere to the resort casual dress code and still wear suits or tuxedos on Elegant Night. You can't really have a double standard of "formal dining experience" and yet walk in there in your jean shorts and cut-off T-shirt. :rolleyes: The MDR is a dining experience, implying that it isn't just a "sit down, eat, and get the heck out the way" restaurant. Nothing wrong with a bit of light-hearted entertainment and all I ever saw was big smiles and enthusiasm, horsing around is a great break from the grind of serving food constantly. Disney has that Artist dining room where the colors and music changes and all the wait staff has to change clothes like 5 times during the meal, but thats ambiance guys. Good grief... :)

Agreed. Sure it's silly, but since when is that a bad thing? I don't want my dinner experience to be just another evening at Perkins with fancier plates - surely there's room for something between mainstream "family style" dining and silver service; I think Carnival does a good job of hitting this target. Some of the replies on this board sound like people are actually offended by the singing waiters -why on earth would it matter so much? And the idea that it's "demeaning" is pure projection - just because we might not want to do it doesn't mean that they don't have a good time with it.

And from the poll as of now, it looks like most of us are fine with it.

I worked as a waiter on a cruise ship years ago. The guests in the dining room only see a fraction of the work that must be done by us. We only have so many minutes to get it done with class. Eliminating that ridiculous dancing would lend more time to TAKE CARE OF SERVICE. Isn't that what you go to the dining room for? To be waited on. Believe me you'd notice how much more efficient the SERVICE would be without this distraction and disruption. You who vote to keep the dancing have no sympathy for the wait staff. I'd like to see you STOP AND PERFORM right in the middle of your busy work day.They have enough to do already.

Hmmm :rolleyes:.... I'd say that in this case stopping and performing IS part of the work day...

leftcoast - I do stop in the middle of my work and dance at times!! I have a busy schedule but I do it because I like it and so does the kids!!! So in my case your debate didn't work!! Sorry!!! Yes I know the waitstaff is very busy in fact the entire ships crew are busy. So I never take anyones job as not being important. They work too hard to do that!! So keep the music and the dance and have fun doing it you only live once so enjoy it!!

Amen. Keep on dancin' :p

leftcoast - I do stop in the middle of my work and dance at times!! I have a busy schedule but I do it because I like it and so does the kids!!! So in my case your debate didn't work!! Sorry!!! Yes I know the waitstaff is very busy in fact the entire ships crew are busy. So I never take anyones job as not being important. They work too hard to do that!! So keep the music and the dance and have fun doing it you only live once so enjoy it!!

Let's have Madge57 work 3 shifts a day. 14 to 15 hours a day for 8 MONTHS, NO DAYS OFF. Then we'll watch her dance every day. I'm sure she'll love doing that for us.:rolleyes:

Let's have Madge57 work 3 shifts a day. 14 to 15 hours a day for 8 MONTHS, NO DAYS OFF. Then we'll watch her dance every day. I'm sure she'll love doing that for us.:rolleyes:

For many, music and dancing is a real mood enhancer and lifts your spirits. You should try it sometime. :D

Any reason why he took the job. or didn`t quit? Did he feign ignorance about the activity when his job was explained to him?

Let's stick to the original question and not side track with this attorney BS. I gave a waiters point of view. THE REASON BEING IT WOULD IMPROVE SERVICE. That's the name of the game. That's how a professional waiter thinks and that's the difference between a waiter and a server for all of you that didn't know. Server-- see DENNY"S and other greasy spoons.

Let's stick to the original question and not side track with this attorney BS. I gave a waiters point of view. THE REASON BEING IT WOULD IMPROVE SERVICE. That's the name of the game. That's how a professional waiter thinks and that's the difference between a waiter and a server for all of you that didn't know. Server-- see DENNY"S and other greasy spoons.

Actually its about a customer feeling good about the overall product. Consistently mentioned on comment cards/emails/letters is how pax love the singing and dancing waiters. Whenever Carnival get an overwhelming number of pax complaining about the entertainment it will either cease or be reduced.

Which ships did you work on? How many contract did you sign?

One thing good waiters and servers have in common... they are pleasant people and are able to maintain their easygoing dispositions even with the stresses that come along with their job. :D

I imagine if it increased your tips, you would stand on your head and perform.

I really don't remember the people that put a plate in front of me. It was the people that made a difference in the journey that I remember them well. And rewarded them handsomely.

Sorry you ended up at Denny's though.

Be lucky you didn't work on a Disney ship and have to do all that wearing a Mickey head and shoes.

I love it... I don't think it's demeaning as some have said, because I have yet to come across a server that didn't enjoy it. Usually our table will join in as well. On our last cruise, our servers actually spoke of how they enjoyed learning some of the new dances and it actually broke up their evening. The cruise before that, the one server took a little shining to the DW and actually gave her a personal dance...everyone at the table was laughing and loving it. As for the overall popularity of the dinner entertainment all one needs to do is a quick search on you-tube to see how many cruisers have posted the event!

Archived