Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

No fight intended. I think that Fran and I were attempting to point out that the attitude of the passengers can affect the way the waitstaff feels about what they do and about themselves. They can probably sense your negativity towards the singing and dancing and pick up on it and react accordingly.

That's accenting the negative. :) And I think that what Fran and I are both saying is indeed accenting the positive...... lighten up and enjoy it and let the waitstaff know that you appreciate their efforts to entertain and amuse you.

Yes, exactly!

Hi Allen and Fran..Gotcha. Thanks. I just heard that version of that song myself today..

And cute..all those Rebecca's. And by the way..second Mrs. DeWinter has nothing to do about first or second marraige on my comment..and she sure didn't end up being the character she started being...I just love that book and all the sequals out there..and that movie..so many different takes on it...Halloween Special for me and book on tape is my favorite version on that novel...

Do beleive in self fulfilling prophesy and understand the work involved for some to change the negative ones...including self.

Obviously, I see both sides of equation on dining room deal....and I have only been on 5 cruises in 30 years...ages 20 to 50 and present..last one being Carnival....the head waiter at our table could not get into it..she really was trying...as were the core group at our table..stage fright kind of I think and she was so good on getting all our names and 12 top that changed every night!!..and it wasn't the momentum of a 7 day or longer..was a 4 day...thanks..

Fran...you have the tripple positive hormones a running..enjoy it for every second...sjn.

I personally enjoy the mini-performances in the dining room. I find them entertaining. However, I have thought at times that the waiters may find it to be demeaning to them. I think Carnival should make it optional for the wait staff to participate. For those that want to do it, assign it to them. For those that don't want to do it, have them do something else. Perhaps, the dancing staff could have an hour or two off extra each week for their participation in the dancing... (Just a thought!)

I personally enjoy the mini-performances in the dining room. I find them entertaining. However, I have thought at times that the waiters may find it to be demeaning to them. I think Carnival should make it optional for the wait staff to participate. For those that want to do it, assign it to them. For those that don't want to do it, have them do something else. Perhaps, the dancing staff could have an hour or two off extra each week for their participation in the dancing... (Just a thought!)

I still don't think it's any more demeaning than cleaning a toilet but that's not a bad idea.

I still don't think it's any more demeaning than cleaning a toilet but that's not a bad idea.

There's not much more demeaning than cleaning toilets. In one of my previous existences, I was the manager of large bookstores. We had a public restroom, but didn't have a full-time custodian.

I could never order my employees to clean the bathrooms, so I wound up doing it myself. Ack. Ick. Barf. Gross!

Surprisingly, the women were bigger slobs than the men. :eek:

If I want to see dancing while I eat, I will go to a strip joint for dinner.

I really don't want to have my dinner with my wife interrupted by a waiter or waitress gyrating their junk by my prime rib.

Gee, there's an image I really didn't want to think about:eek: I'll vote no dancing now.

I for one do not enjoy the dancing and singing - not that they are not good as many are extremely good. It just seems so forced after all these years and it reminds me of a circus where they are made to perform as part of their job. I would never show my displeasure or leave while they are performing as that would be rude and it is part of their job per se. But I think because I feel this way I am held captive at a certain point as I would never get up an leave midway - I stay for the duration. If I know it is coming up soon and I am ready to leave I will make a hasty retreat before they begin but never during. Some of them really do seem to enjoy themselves. This is my opinion only.

If I want to see dancing while I eat, I will go to a strip joint for dinner.

I really don't want to have my dinner with my wife interrupted by a waiter or waitress gyrating their junk by my prime rib.

I vote for no junk near my dinner plate. Neither gyrating nor non-gyrating, thank you very much. :eek:

I guess since I clean houses for a living and have been for 25 years, I am completely scum. If cleaning toilets is demeaning, and I average 6 a day, I am the lowest of low. However it HAS paid for all my cruises. I don't think less of anyone for doing what they do to earn money.

I guess since I clean houses for a living and have been for 25 years, I am completely scum. If cleaning toilets is demeaning, and I average 6 a day, I am the lowest of low. However it HAS paid for all my cruises. I don't think less of anyone for doing what they do to earn money.

No one said it made a person "scum". I think you totally misinterpreted what was being said. And it's probably a different situation when people hire you, pay you good money and know that you'll be knowing who was responsible for the mess. I really don't think they usually leave used sanitary napkins on the floor or smear feces on the walls or leave puddles of vomit on the floor.When that kind of stuff happens and it's not your job and you still have to clean it all up anyway without any pay for doing so, it's demeaning.

Best friend in PDX cleans homes and has either done that before her divorce or after..12 years now divorced... as half to 100% of her income..she had a daycare too while supporting her husband and kids;).

To all in discussion:

Public embarassment/humiliation..wherever it happens trumps cleaning a toilet...IMHO. Some people with all the skill in the world...and quite frankly the skill one would prefer in a server do not include the best rendition of shake your groove thing in any area:p:).

But public restrooms can be worse than cleaning horse dung and lysoling a barn for the barn dance...3 days in a row..entire family..entire barn:D.

And I like it...:).

Yes. It makes me feel uncomfortable to watch. It feels demeaning to them.

People I saw really dancing certainly didn't look forced into it. Our assistant waitress was one who was up on one of the stands & she said she loves to dance and you could tell. Sure, some one the floor looked less than into it but they sort of just stood there & really didn't take part.

I vote for keeping it.

I voted to keep the dancing waiters. Maybe it's because we are so new to cruising but we really enjoy it. We always try to get seating near the podiums that the dancers will stand on. We took our adult kids with us on the Ecstasy in February and they loved it too. They even got up and danced. My mother, age 76, was with us on the Veteran's Cruise in November 2009 on the Conquest and she even got up and danced with the waiters. It was so much fun to see her having such a good time.

2999849300103786376S600x600Q85.jpg

2914888850103786376S600x600Q85.jpg

2579355580103786376S600x600Q85.jpg

Nope. My point was to those who were saying that the waiters dancing in the dining room is demeaning to them and they shouldn't be forced to do it. I feel it's part of their job and you don't get to pick and choose what parts of your job you want to do. I'm sure cabin stewards don't look forward to cleaning people's toilets yet they do it. And we're grateful that they do.

I'm sorry if the comment offended you. I've cleaned plenty of toilets myself and while I don't particularly relish the job I don't find it demeaning at all. Just as I don't find dancing and singing in the dining room demeaning.

Nope. My point was to those who were saying that the waiters dancing in the dining room is demeaning to them and they shouldn't be forced to do it. I feel it's part of their job and you don't get to pick and choose what parts of your job you want to do. I'm sure cabin stewards don't look forward to cleaning people's toilets yet they do it. And we're grateful that they do.

I'm sorry if the comment offended you. I've cleaned plenty of toilets myself and while I don't particularly relish the job I don't find it demeaning at all. Just as I don't find dancing and singing in the dining room demeaning.

I wonder if they are told that singing and dancing is a part of their job at their interview? Anyway, perhaps while the wait staff is singing and dancing they can get the singers and dancers to do the waitstaff's job. :D Or how about get the people paid to sing and dance do that and let the waitstaff do what they were hired to do and wait on tables.

I wonder if they are told that singing and dancing is a part of their job at their interview? Anyway, perhaps while the wait staff is singing and dancing they can get the singers and dancers to do the waitstaff's job. :D Or how about get the people paid to sing and dance do that and let the waitstaff do what they were hired to do and wait on tables.

Part of the waitstaff's job IS to sing and dance. And the entertainers also do additional jobs, they give out tender tickets, etc. I feel pretty confident Carnival knows what it's doing with regard to job assignments. But I'm sure they'd welcome your suggestions and feedback. :D

Yes, yes, yes. I think it silly. Someone said their 3-year-old loved it. That's about the age that I think would enjoy something like that. Move it to the kids programming, then! I do my best to skip out..often missing dessert, just to avoid it.

Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Learning the ropes on CC and blogging..along with my own hothead in life..I have come to the conclusion that this type of forum can be extremely illimuminating..and one can really see the...

1) Need to be right..at all costs.

2) Refusal to see both sides in equation..

3) People just playing the games and how one made mistakes both fighting them or joinning them...

4) Temporary blindnesses..personal preferences...

5) Comic releif...

On and on....

Back and forth...

And sometimes the pause..and rare moments of lucidity in us all...

Sailing in just a few long weeks on the Freedom and I'm looking forward to the DR entertainment. I've only been on one other cruise and it's was one of the things I really enjoyed. When I get as many cruises under my belt as some of you I may say enough already but for now I say keep it!!

I voted no, although I don't enjoy it, it seems others do. We are generally the the couple sneaking out before the dancing starts, and it seems most of the time out wait staff really try and get us to stay for it.

I will agree that younger kids probably see more entertainment in it. We will be cruising carnival with our 4 year old for the first time next year, and I'm sure she will want to stay to watch the wait staff sing and dance.

Sailing in just a few

long weeks on the Freedom and I'm looking forward to the DR entertainment. I've only been on one other cruise and it's was one of the things I really enjoyed. When I get as many cruises under my belt as some of you I may say enough already but for now I say keep it!!

It is not about how many cruises one has under their belt in making these observations..IMHO.

Archived