Key West Not Safe???

VABeach

[quote name='WeBeGone']RCI is saying "Berthing Conflicts" - now what that really means is anyone's guess, but my guess is that there are too many ships already scheduled in port that day. There is a pier limit as well as anchored limit here in Key West due to space constraints.[/QUOTE]

If there is only one other ship schedualed to be there that day (Carnival Fascination), then I don't buy that excuse either! RCI just stole a stop from me and gave me nothing in return.:mad: Thanks RCI.

They haven't sent me the e-mail that I was promised to recieve on Monday yet either. I know RCI doesn't feel like they owe me any explanation. I know they reserve the right to change their itenerary for no reason and give me nothing in return, but so do I. I don't owe them my loyalty, and I reserve the right to go back to CCL as soon as this cruise is over.

I'm not going to cancel or change. This is my parents' first vacation and I'm afraid that if I change things now they will get cold feet and back out. So we'll go. But I was hoping there was a really good, justifiable reason why this was happening that could make me feel better about RCI for doing this. Still waiting.....:cool:

It looks like there is a fishing event going on in Key West that begins on the 14th. They do close the port for cruise ships when these events happen. It just is really sad that the reservationists are not equipped to tell the reason a ship has changed it's itinerary.

[url="http://www.fla-keys.com/calendarofevents/index.cfm"]http://www.fla-keys.com/calendarofevents/index.cfm[/url]

Vicki

[quote name='xpcdoojk']What is up is that Key West is limiting the number of cruise ships that are allowed to stop there. I said they are very "progressive" didn't I.

jc[/QUOTE]

It's a matter of space. I believe the port area can only tie up 4 ships at one time-period-that's all the room there is. The anchoring area can tender 2 ships at one time-period-that's all the room there is. When you're out of room, you're out of room. We routinely have 6 ships in port but to my knowledge have never had seven at once.

[quote name='vkramer']It looks like there is a fishing event going on in Key West that begins on the 14th. They do close the port for cruise ships when these events happen. It just is really sad that the reservationists are not equipped to tell the reason a ship has changed it's itinerary.

[url="http://www.fla-keys.com/calendarofevents/index.cfm"]http://www.fla-keys.com/calendarofevents/index.cfm[/url]

Vicki[/QUOTE]

They cancelled ALL of the Kew West stops on Grandeur from May to November. That must be a really long fishing tournament!!!;) Thanks for the link, but it's not just "my" week that isn't going there.:(

I wonder how many people are going to be suprised about this since they don't seem to actually let you know. I found out by accident. Can't wait to start hearing the complaints on the ship. That'll make for a fun cruise.:rolleyes:

As of right now I think the only people who can describe customer service as being located overseas are people who are not located in the U.S.

As to them saying whatever it takes to pacify passengers, that seems to be pretty much on target. It still amazes me how their land based operations can be so different from the product that they offer at sea.

Ah, Royal Caribbean's "Customer Service"...now THERE'S an oxymoron if ever there was one!

After my aborted New Year's cruise, when USAir completely messed up flights for us and for thousands of others, and we couldn't get to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise departure, and Royal Caribbean said that we couldn't get on at Key West, the first port of call, and I was sitting at home stewing, I sent off an email to Royal Caribbean asking for a fuller explanation of why they wouldn't let us board in Key West, and reporting to them how rude the CSRs were on the phone that weekend.

THIS MONDAY, a month later, I finally got a return email from Royal Caribbean, thanking me for my correspondence, apologizing for travel difficulties, and HOPING THAT MY CRUISE HAD BEEN WONDERFUL ANYWAY.

*****???????

Carol

Ah, Royal Caribbean's "Customer Service"...now THERE'S an oxymoron if ever there was one!

After my aborted New Year's cruise, when USAir completely messed up flights for us and for thousands of others, and we couldn't get to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise departure, and Royal Caribbean said that we couldn't get on at Key West, the first port of call, and I was sitting at home stewing, I sent off an email to Royal Caribbean asking for a fuller explanation of why they wouldn't let us board in Key West, and reporting to them how rude the CSRs were on the phone that weekend.

THIS MONDAY, a month later, I finally got a return email from Royal Caribbean, thanking me for my correspondence, apologizing for travel difficulties, and HOPING THAT MY CRUISE HAD BEEN WONDERFUL ANYWAY.

*****???????

Carol

You've got to be kidding???:eek:

I wrote a bunch of comments on this, but decided not to post them.

If you decide not to cancel because of this, then sign up for the meet and mingle, and bring up the topic for discussion. There is a RCCL rep at the meeting. ASK ;)

and remember for next time, there are other lines "out there" :D

Thanks for the link, looks like our ship is still scheduled for Key West and Grand Cayman. I will check every week though. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed I guess. We specifically chose this cruise over Carnival for the ports.

The port schedules seem to be the best place to check where we are going. I believe they have to pay up front to get on the schedule...

Here is our Key West listing....

http://www.keywest.com/cruiseschedule.htm#March

Here is our Grand Cayman listing...

http://www.caymanport.com

I could not find a Cozumel listing...but that port seems pretty well set.

John

My office manager went on her first cruise in Dec. The first port was Key West, she loved it. She told me about some friends that went on that same cruise the following week, and the ship "bumped" the pier at Key West. I'm told there was some damage to ship and pier, but i don't know to what extent.

My theory is that Key West and RCI have gotten crossways over this incident. Maybe RCI is not welcome until they resolve that issue, or maybe RCI is not coming to the party until they get resolution.

Remember, this is a THEORY, and pure speculation on my part. If it's true, I hope they get it worked out soon.

Archived