Help me pick my cruise - NCL vs Celebrity, East vs West Caribbean

vegasbb

First, let me thank anyone in advance who reads this entire post and offers to help! I'm having such a hard time deciding and really appreciate the insight of others. I'll likely also post this on the Celebrity boards so if you see this posting 2x, my apologies.

My husband and I are in our late 20's/early 30's. We've been on 15 cruises before. We've cruised Regents (our favorite, but not in the budget this time around), Carnival, RCI, and NCL. My issues with NCL have been food quality and service related, but no need to get into that here. I don't mind paying extra for specialty restaurants and I LOVE how many options NCL gives you.

We are taking a cruise for our 1st anniversary, and have narrowed it down to three options:

Celebrity Solstice with this itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, George Town, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Mexico, Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

NCL Pearl with this:

Miami; Roatan; Belize City; Costa Maya; Key West

or NCL Pearl with this:

Miami; Samana; St. Thomas; Tortola; Great Stirrup Cay

I know, so many ports to think about! We've done west before but never east. Our favorite cruise port in the world is Costa Maya because we adore non-crowded local little beach towns. Out of this trip we're looking for lots of beach time. We might do one scuba dive (we are certified), but otherwise lots of beaches.

As for a cruise - we're looking for good food, we don't mind paying upcharges. I also love laying out on beach chairs by the pool on the deck - any insight as to how crowded either of these ships get by the pool? Impossible to get a chair?

So if costs were equal (they are! , actually celebrity is a bit cheaper), which would you choose and why ?

First, let me thank anyone in advance who reads this entire post and offers to help! I'm having such a hard time deciding and really appreciate the insight of others. I'll likely also post this on the Celebrity boards so if you see this posting 2x, my apologies.

My husband and I are in our late 20's/early 30's. We've been on 15 cruises before. We've cruised Regents (our favorite, but not in the budget this time around), Carnival, RCI, and NCL. My issues with NCL have been food quality and service related, but no need to get into that here. I don't mind paying extra for specialty restaurants and I LOVE how many options NCL gives you.

We are taking a cruise for our 1st anniversary, and have narrowed it down to three options:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, George Town, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Mexico, Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

NCL Pearl with this:

or NCL Pearl with this:

I know, so many ports to think about! We've done west before but never east. Our favorite cruise port in the world is Costa Maya because we adore non-crowded local little beach towns. Out of this trip we're looking for lots of beach time. We might do one scuba dive (we are certified), but otherwise lots of beaches.

As for a cruise - we're looking for good food, we don't mind paying upcharges. I also love laying out on beach chairs by the pool on the deck - any insight as to how crowded either of these ships get by the pool? Impossible to get a chair?

So if costs were equal (they are! , actually celebrity is a bit cheaper), which would you choose and why ?

Personally I think both of the Western itinaries are appealing. For beach people the Celebrity cruise seems to offer a few more beach opportunities.

Always for water sports and beaches the west is better, but if you haven't done the east you may want to consider it, especially if Tortola is included..Just going to the baths is worth the entire cruise (well maybe that is an exageration) of course you know the food on Celebrity (MDR) will be better but the buffets are equal and we prefer NCLs entertainment.

I am not sure anyone can really tell you which they would choose. I know I can't,even being a true NCL loyalist, both sound good. If you like to shop the Pearl, eastern itinerary would be the best choice..

Nita

I think Celebrity for you after reading what you like and dislike, Celebrity is better quality MDR food, I like the buffet better on NCL. Celebrity is more formal and traditional to me. I prefer the Eastern Caribbean myself, but either are good. October is not the most popular cruise time due to hurricane season, and keep in mind if one should rear it's ugly head you may get re-routed (it has happened to me). I would be happy on any of the cruises you mentioned, and I love the freestyle NCL offers, but Celebrity does have a good passenger to crew ratio for good service and they have good food presentation in their MDR also the cabins are very nice on Celebrity.

The beaches in the East are far more attractive and have much better snorkeling and diving than any in the west except Roatan.

The problem with Pearl to the east is that GSC is really not a good stop to snorkel or dive, so you just have three opportunities. In the east, you can go to the Baths or Jost van Dyke from Tortola. Both incredible beaches for very different reasons. In St. Thomas you can do a beach dive at Coki beach and snorkel the same area, or go to St. John. In Samana the beach at Cayo Leventado, aka Bacardi Island is beautiful.

I personally prefer the eastern routes and if I have the option will always go east. I find the west to be very unimaginative, and boring.

is the best, if beaches and snorkeling are important...Are you in Tortola more than 5 hours, you can go the the Baths or Van Dyke, great water, St Johns and St Thomas have great beaches and diving (sapphire is a great beach)..Samana is problematic, unless you go to a resort or ship excursion..But Roatan is really the best of the west, Belize can be a bit rough. The eastern is nicest in the winter, but October is hurricane time,so the west may be for you. Have I confused you enough? I booked a 12 day cruise in January with less than 40 days till departure for under $70 a day including service charges, so waiting is not always bad. Good luck, happy anniversary!Barb:D

Because of the clear comment, which I have extracted in quote, Celebrity would be my choice mainly because the dining experience in MDR's is far superior to NCL and the overall experience will be more refined. The only negative for us would be the dining arrangements i.e. allocated table etc....we do enjoy the flexibility that NCL offer in that regard.

NCL Pearl with this:

or NCL Pearl with this:

Well, in my personal opinion, I think that, going just by the itinerary, I would pick Option # 1, Celebrity Solstice.

Why? Well, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are GREAT.....!!! And, you said you LOVE Costa Maya, so that is SUPER......!!! icon14.gif :D

The Pearl with Belize and Key West, nah...... icon13.gif

The Pearl with Saint Thomas is good, but, you ALWAYS run the risk of not getting off at Great Stirrup Cay due to rough seas, even though Saint Thomas is a GREAT stop too.

Plus you said that Celebrity would cost less, so, #1.....!!!icon14.gificon14.gif :D

Well, in my personal opinion, I think that, going just by the itinerary, I would pick Option # 1, Celebrity Solstice.

Why? Well, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are GREAT.....!!! And, you said you LOVE Costa Maya, so that is SUPER......!!! icon14.gif :D

The Pearl with Belize and Key West, nah...... icon13.gif

The Pearl with Saint Thomas is good, but, you ALWAYS run the risk of not getting off at Great Stirrup Cay due to rough seas, even though Saint Thomas is a GREAT stop too.

Plus you said that Celebrity would cost less, so, #1.....!!!icon14.gificon14.gif :D

My only reason for suggesting the eastern itinerary was she hasn't done it, but other than that I would agree with you..We base our cruise decisions on itinerary and cost: if they are almost the same we opt for NCL, but if the cost in less we choose others lines. This was the case on all of our Celebrity cruises, the price was just enough lower to convince us to cruise them..

Nita

While we don't necessarily cruise for the destination (i.e. for beach vacations, we just fly to them), if in a Suite, either would be comparable with a lean towards NCL's service; if in a regular cabin, I think this would depend on how formal you would like your vacation to be. We dress in business casual / business formal every day and really dislike dressing like this on vacation...flip flops and shorts work for us, so NCL's casual experience tends to allow us to feel more comfortable. So if in a non-Suite cabin, it's whatever makes you feel comfortable for the time on-board.

Digression: Truly, I get Seabourn / Silversea / Oceania brochures every other day and I really want to try one to experience that level of luxury, but when I look at the photo's, I ask myself, do I really have anything in common with that Eva Gabor look alike? Not so much. We are definately not in the same league financially as those who cruise ultra-luxury lines and as we are both mid-30ish, we'd likely stand out. A friend of mine took a Silversea cruise in Europe and was talking with a couple about his flight over (First Class on British Airways) and how nice it was...the other couple said their flight was nice as well...but it was on their private jet...

I think it is important to cruise with a line that has the same 'personality' that you do. We like NCL very much as we eat almost exclusively in our cabin. When we have a Suite there are just so many options to have delivered. Celebrity has great butler service also, but more limited choices...and you certainly didn't want to roam the ship with shorts on formal night.

While we don't necessarily cruise for the destination (i.e. for beach vacations, we just fly to them), if in a Suite, either would be comparable with a lean towards NCL's service; if in a regular cabin, I think this would depend on how formal you would like your vacation to be. We dress in business casual / business formal every day and really dislike dressing like this on vacation...flip flops and shorts work for us, so NCL's casual experience tends to allow us to feel more comfortable. So if in a non-Suite cabin, it's whatever makes you feel comfortable for the time on-board.

Digression: Truly, I get Seabourn / Silversea / Oceania brochures every other day and I really want to try one to experience that level of luxury, but when I look at the photo's, I ask myself, do I really have anything in common with that Eva Gabor look alike? Not so much. We are definately not in the same league financially as those who cruise ultra-luxury lines and as we are both mid-30ish, we'd likely stand out. A friend of mine took a Silversea cruise in Europe and was talking with a couple about his flight over (First Class on British Airways) and how nice it was...the other couple said their flight was nice as well...but it was on their private jet...

I think it is important to cruise with a line that has the same 'personality' that you do. We like NCL very much as we eat almost exclusively in our cabin. When we have a Suite there are just so many options to have delivered. Celebrity has great butler service also, but more limited choices...and you certainly didn't want to roam the ship with shorts on formal night.

Ilike the way you put that: same personality and that probably is the secret. for some, they want the formality of HAL or Celebrity, others want the energy of NCL or other lines. When one person talked about refined, I got a picture in my mind of that person..

I know many people that could afford almost any line they want and still prefer the relaxed atmosphere of say, NLC. Others that would sacrafice and cruise only once every 5 years just to do Seabourne or some such line.

Nita

Since you listed Solstice first, I wonder if that is already your first choice! Not a bad choice.

Let me say that we enjoy both lines. Celebrity for food and enrichment, NCL for fun, sometimes disappointed in the food, although it's improved since we began with them 2 years ago.

If you choose Celebrity Solstice you will be experiencing a new cruise line with wonderful food in the main dining rooms, & impeccable service throughout the ship. And they still give you a glass of bubbly on embarkation, too (which NCL recently did away with). Celebrity allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine on board with no corking fees, for consumption in the cabin. NCL charges $15 a bottle but it can be consumed anywhere on the ship. I haven't read a bad review yet. If the price difference is pretty good, considering you are willing to go to specialty restaurants on NCL, you could possibly save a bundle taking this dignified line. But they still have formal nights, NCL's is optional as you know from having sailed on NCL.

My own experience on both lines says X's main dining room will get you specialty restaurant quality in the main dining room, more choices on the menu, fancier table settings, a sommelier who will come to your table every night, which NCL doesn't have. And since you like freestyle, X has implemented their version of any time dining (I hope also on Solstice. I don't know how far it's gotten in the fleet). But if you want a specific dining time, ask for a table for 2 when you book and you will hopefully get it. We were able to do so on X. And you know you can always get a table for 2 on NCL, but they are very close together!

If you choose Pearl you will get a new itinerary. And the E Carib is very different looking from the ship, too. 1000 ft mountains rising out of the sea are stunning. Truly, truly, there are so many gorgeous, truly remarkable beaches on the Eastern itinerary. Samana: Playa Rincon, absolutely unspoiled and an adventure to get there by van/water taxi, see a little of the interior, too, & the beach voted one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world by Conde Nast readers, or Cayo Levantado to which you are taken by boat from the ship, so you do not see the interior; St Thomas itself has lots of choices, Magens Bay, Sapphire, Coki, but St John would be my choice, just a ferry ride away, where there is still some pristine beauty. Tortola, like STT has its own beautiful beaches & vistas getting to them thru the steep mountains, but you might want the novelty of going by ferry to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths, a strange geological formation of great beauty, or to an "off island" Jost Van Dyke; plus the private island for zoning out or staying on the ship! You could easily do this itinerary 3x and not duplicate anything you experienced on the 1st two!

But if you've never been to Key West, it is great for diving, plus just grunging around like the "natives" do, on the W Carib Pearl itinerary.

You can't go wrong, but I think you can see I prefer the E route and Solstice. Too bad they are not together!

We cruised on the Pearl western caribbean in March 09 and eastern caribbean in Nov 09. We thought the western trip was much better. Far better snorkeling, less crowds, interesting culture and mayan ruins. We were not imporessed with snorkeling at Coki after the much better western ports, which had much better reefs to see.

I have always enjoyed myself on NCL and love the casual style.

When you say Celebrity is more 'refined and formal' is it true men still were a tux at dinner ?

I have been on two Celebrity cruises and have never had to wear a tux to dinner. When did you have to wear a tux to dinner on Celebrity?

No tuxes are required, but there is a dress code for formal night on Celebrity, and it is a step up from NCL since NCL will be mixed in the way people dress that night. That is what my husband loves about NCL. We don't worry at all about "dress up or not" night. He didn't like the fancy food choices on X either (but I do). It's nice not to have to pack two suitcases when you go on NCL.

I haven't done Celebrity but, hey, I'll chime in anyway. I was going to book the Solstice for this year's cruise but my TA talked me out of it because we have an 11 y.o. and she said NCL and RCI would be a better choice for DD. However, she (my TA) sailed the Solstice recently and said it was a fabulous cruise and would recommend it highly. She described it as much more elegant and quiet vs. the more laid-back and casual vibe on the NCL ships.

We just sailed on the Jewel Western (Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and GSC) and it was a fun cruise. and we did the Eastern itinerary (Samana, St Thomas, Tortola, GSC) last year and that was fun, too. (If you want a great snorkel excursion in Tortola, try Patouche's half day sail to the Baths and you snorkel in from the boat.)

As far as I'm concerned there isn't a bad stop on any of the cruises you mentioned and so the good news is you can't lose no matter what you pick.

Barb

Archived