The big list of tips and guides gathered from several threads

Is it true that the artwork (fish, ships, whatever) will always have the head facing the front of the ship? If this is true, it's the best piece of info I've even gotten on CC.

I have a terrible sense of direction, and am constantly asking my husband and my kids (even the 5 yo who knows everything) how to get places. All this time, the artwork was the key...who knew?:eek:

Can someone confirm this is true?:D

Yep it is true. It was pointed out to me by another passager (who we met off CC) and since then I keep checking and it is always right! (Look at the carpets as well, if there are fishes in the carpets it holds true there as well).

On the old American Hawaiian Independence, we loved that the fish on the carpet were swimmining upstream (forward). Even though it was a small ship in comparison, I still would manage to get confused about which way to turn.

The majority of the tips are great and it's nice to see them on one page. We all need to select what works/doesn't work for ourselves.

For me, I can bypass the honey stung chicken...I've given it a couple chances and it is just gross to me.

The sales at the end of the cruise (including the mentioned T shirts) are not regular inventory from the gift shops, so don't begrudge yourself a purchase early on for those trinkets or T shirts in the gift shop. Every single week, the cruise ships drag out boxes of "sale" merchandise, then drag it back in the same boxes the last night.

We don't sit near the pool if we lay out, so never a need to chair hog, but am astonished at how many people place towels on the chairs around the pool and in the solarium at 7am. I'm hoping the one towel, checked out by cabin number, has reduced this practise.

If you take along a small first aid kit with typical OTC drugs in limited quantity plus a few bandaids, there is no need to go to the medical station to purchase relief. Ours is always packed and ready (replenished when we get home) and the size is 4 X 6 X 1, a clear cosmetic pouch. We once took generic meclezine, like they give out for the asking, it made us so sleepy we missed a day of our cruise. Try seasick meds out before leaving home, don't leave it to chance.

I do think the list is a nice compilation and it was nice of the OP to take the time to list all these tips.

I object to bringing along 'cheap plastic pool toys' and leaving them there. Terrible idea, really.

Can you imagine if a certain percentage of people on every ship did this? What a disaster.

If you bring it in, take it back out with you.

Every time i hear it again and again that taking food of the ship is forbidden and I know that it is forbidden to take food of a airplain or ship in the US but where can i read that it is forbidden in Europe? Never saw it written in my papers before,while traveling in Europe.

burny

Yes, you can bring soda and water onto the ship but no, do not store it on your balcony. I have never seen anyone bring on a rolling cooler, I have seen soft coolers but not rolling ones.

You can bring soda and water onto RCI ships, but not alcohol? Is this true? I thought you could not bring ANY beverages on board??

For those who don't have a great immune system, bringing along wipes is a great idea! My DH has had heart and kidney transplants and is on anti-rejection drugs that diminish his immune system. We have to worry about germs all the time, even though we are not obsessed with it. The hand sanitizer is also a great item to consider bringing if you have health issues.

Not to mention when people contract the Noro virus they are quarantined to their room. I'm sure the rooms are disinfected somewhat but better safe than sorry.

Quote"The chair hog issue which is frequently discussed on these boards and I would say most are against people placing towels on their chairs and going elsewhere so not sure where that tip came from."Quote

See other thread debating this issue!

As example

"If you are bashful about being assertive with chairhogs who dissapear for long periods during the day .....

let the new chair hog RCCL towel patrol handle it."

General Tips

- The helipad is a great spot to go out onto. It is beautiful at night and great for star gazing

Absolutely. One of my most favorite spots. Very romantic. It is usually empty. Be aware, though, that there is also a 24/7 camera fixed on this spot that plays on all cabin TV sets. I forget which channel.

Not that my spouse and I have anything to be ashamed of....but we got a standing ovation at dinner the next day.

Also a tip from my spouse when I traveled across the Atlantic with my brother. I asked how she always kept her clothes and my suit jacket from wrinkling after a long plane ride. She hangs them in the bathroom and takes and shower for about 5 minutes. I tried it and it works like a charm. Steam cleaning at its best.

Finally, thank you for all the great tips. Some I knew about, some I will take a pass but on the whole it is really great stuff. Everyone will be able to use something from the list. Welcome to RCCL and have a great cruise.

Not that my spouse and I have anything to be ashamed of....but we got a standing ovation at dinner the next day.

NOW THAT GOT ME A NEW KEYBOARD....too funny!!!!!

For all my critics of the list, read my disclaimers, copy it to MS WORD or whatever and edit out what does not apply to you and enjoy!

PLEASE, PLEASE do not misunderstand me.... My comments were for those try hide alcohol to bring on the ship (Rum Runners).

I have no issue with anyone drinking on the ship or at the ports. I do not care and if you're enjoying yourself......I just think its stupid to try and illegally smuggle rum/alcohol.....imo, if you book a family cruise with the intention of smuggling rum, you got a life priority problem.

In my effort to say 'here are all these helpful tips that people have come up and oh by the way I did not include these for this reason.....'

I am being slammed.

All I am saying is be a mom and dad and spend quality time with your kids....enjoy.... it's a great day to be alive and be with family/friends.

I will say no more....enjoy the list, I have no idea if its all correct or not, as I said I just compiled and sorted...

1st let me say I appreciate anyone going to the effort to compile a list of tips, as it helps to not have to go through all the fluff posts. But, I don't get the thinking in your post when you say if you bring alcohol on board for your family vacation you need to go to AA. But, if you "purchase it on board and enjoy yourself" during a family vacation everything is fine. Sounds like you just have issues with smugglers not people who drink. :confused:

I like to go to the pool about 7:30 and move all the towels to the back row. I love to sit and watch the upset chair hogs who arrive about 9:00. Everybody should do it . It is such fun.

Do NOT 'reserve' your pool chair until you're ready to put your butt in it....that's "chair-hogging" and should NOT be done!

X2!

I hate this and will remove your stuff if needs be. Nothing sucks more than going down to the pool in the AM to catch some morning sun and quiet only to find that all of the good chairs are taken and there isn't a person in sight. Most of the time I'll be gone by the time the "chair hogs" make their way up to the pool deck. Sorry but a rude and inconsiderate action for another.

• 1 month later...

Wow what a great list I really appreate it. I appreate the hard work that went in to compiling it. At this rate though with all the objections and such its a wonder anyone wants to post some things on CC. Here this wonderful person takes the time to share some great ideas and compiliation of ideas from CC. Well I for one really appreate it and wont be slamming anyone who takes the time to do this.

Adri

Archived