What port would you live in?

Tim-n-Rick

Thanks for the info, Dutch! I will be visiting your city on the Crystal Symphony 23/08/10 and would appreciate any advice on the weather that time of year, as well as any reccomended sights to see. I am currently booked to take a morning walking tour and would have my afternoon free until we sail at 5PM. I know one day will only give me a taste, but I am looking forward to my visit there.

That sounds very nice! A walking tour should give you an idea of the centre of the city which is actually very small and at walking distance. The ship docks in the middle of town next to Akershus fortress and the main shopping street Karl Johans gate is close by.

Vigelands Parken, the park with statues of sculpturerer Vigeland is a must. Otherwise visit Folketmuseet or Vikingship museum at Bygdøy. (You can take a ferry across the fjord. More info you can find on www.oslo.com

The weather can be a bit of a hit or miss. End of August usually the chill comes back in the air so bring a jacket and raingear.

Thanks again for your prompt reply, Dutch. I assume that our ship docks near the ferry terminal? The Vikingship Museum would be of interest to me and I think a ferry ride sounds like fun. Our walking tour includes the Fortress, City Hall, the National Theater, the Royal Palace and Guard, as well as the Idsen Museum. It sounds like a lot for a four hour walk! Oslo is the final port before we end our Baltic Cruise in Dover, UK. We embark in Stockholm and visit Helsinki on our way to St. Petersburg for a two night stay. Then on to Tallinn, Copenhagen and Oslo. This will be my first visit to this part of the World and I am most excited!

Istanbul, Turkey for me.

Beautiful and friendly people, exotic city, great food, at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, and with seasons. On top of which it is close to so many other great places if you get bored......

Just keep crossing my fingers they will become part of the EU at which point I can legally live there......

Beautiful city.

And the men..........wow.

And where is that town that hosts the oiled up wrestling? Not that it would interest me much.......but...

Now at the other end of the world......living in or just outside Sydney Australia. Beautiful city, beautiful people, incredible food, drop dead gorgeous harbour area. Then the downside....all those Aussies in Aussie Bum bathing suits. Only beach sights that out do Rio.

Now the idea is to find Cruise Critic members that live in all these places that like to entertain house guests.:cool:

Istanbul, Turkey for me.

Just keep crossing my fingers they will become part of the EU at which point I can legally live there......

hmmm interesting opinion.... not shared by too many Europeans I suppose...;) I think a lot of things need to change before that will happen...

Have been to Puerto Vallarta several times, only for a cruise day, at Blue Chair Beach. But love the area, warm sunny and very gay friendly. We are thinking of flying in and spending a week to really see the life in paradise. I like the idea you can walk to all the great places, drink, shop and not drive.

hmmm interesting opinion.... not shared by too many Europeans I suppose...;) I think a lot of things need to change before that will happen...

Yes - I expect you are right. Not exactly sure that I understand all the reasons...seems to me as good a country to join as many others that are part but of course, I am across the pond.....

Archived