Snorkeling excursion suggestions?

nycpants

Going to Bermuda for the first time and would like to find a good snorkeling trip with a company that only takes a small amount of people. I've stopped booking these through the cruise lines because they pack you onto these catamarans like sardines. I've found great trips in the Caribbean, but not sure what is best for Bermuda. Looking for a full or half day trip. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Hi, When in Bermuda, We snorkeled all day but it was not an excursion, it was at Tabacco Bay, and for 5-10 bucks, you get your snorkel and its beatiful there...note bring some dog cookies with you, the fish will eat out of your hand

I emailed Jessie James about booking a trip with them in June, and the response was that they are not booking tours for the upcoming season because they are planning to sell the company. :(

That's a shame - they did a a good job!

• 2 weeks later...
give me more details abouy snorkeling here--is it a public beach,how do we get there, etc

Take the ferry to St. George and get either the mini bus, $3 each way, or share a cab with someone which ends up being cheaper. It's also walkable, about 10 minutes or so up a fairly steep hill. Beach is small so the beach itself can get crowded. Best thing is to get there as early as you can because it starts to get crowded around 11:00.

Another option is Church Bay on the South shore not real far from Dockyard by bus. Smallish beach that is not usually crowded by water can be rough there so you need to be careful.

TB has full facilities, snack bar, restrooms, beach rentals. CB has limited facilities, drinks and snack out of a cooler and very interesting restrooms near by.

Am sailing Explorer of the Seas in the August and interested in hearing more about snorkeling and getting away from the shore excursions, in addition to finding out more about what to do in Kings Wharf and how far Hamilton was from docking at Kings Wharf. all info welcome and thank you to any and all who respond.

Michele, Fort Lee, NJ

RCCL - Monarch 1993

RCCL - Majesty 1994

Star Princess - 1995

RCCL - Sovereign 1996

RCCL - Legend 1999

RCCL - Explorer Aug. 28, 2010 (can't wait!!)

I wrote to Jesse James and received the following response:

"My husband, the captain, was going to retire, however, got cold feet and could not do it as he absolutely loves doing what he has done for over 20 years. We quickly tried to reverse all the closing announcements...

We start off in the City of Hamilton and check in there at 8.45 a.m. (12.45 p.m. afternoon) and depart between 8.45-8.55 a.m. (12.50-12.55 p.m.) We then come across the harbour to Dockyard to pick up people as a courtesy. This means we do not get to Dockyard until between 9.00-9.15 a.m. (1.00-1.15 p.m.) You are returned to your ship prior to our going back across the harbour to The City of Hamilton.

The individual rate is $65.00 per person over the age of 10 years, (ages 8-10 years $45.00) however, if it turned into a group of you, we would offer you a private charter at a discounted rate."

We will be using Jesse James when in Bermuda in June. Sounds like a great excusion with a lot of time in the water in three spots, including a visit to one of the small islands.

I wrote to Jesse James and received the following response:

We will be using Jesse James when in Bermuda in June. Sounds like a great excusion with a lot of time in the water in three spots, including a visit to one of the small islands.

We signed up for June. Please report back after your cruise and let us know how it was. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Sonnysnorkel at above web address is perfect for you. When I went with him last week, there were only three of us. He had good gear, fast boat, digital underwater camera to loan. Bring your memory card. I would go again with him next trip.

Archived