unique or different things you pack for your cruise

ckr31

Antibacterial soap in dispenser. Extra soft soap in non-leak plastic container: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/bottlesMedication?productId=10000244

Dixie cups for brushing teeth. Lightweight & easy to pack.

Pill box - found at The Container Store - has compartments for all kinds of pills that may be needed on vacation - aspirin, antacid, Sudafed, Benadryl, Tylenol Cold, Mylanta, etc. Refill when you get home and it's ready for the next trip. No more digging for pills in tiny ziplocs or packets. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/hobby/dividedBoxes?productId=10009775

I take those plastic zipper bags that you get when you buy bedding. They are great to use as "packing cubes" for organizing your suitcase on the way to the cruise. And even better to pack wet items like swimsuits and watershoes on the way back home. Also a huge fan of the xxxl ziploc bags and bubble wrap wine bottle sleeves; great for bringing home some of that island rum.

I noticed this is about twice the weight of the Olympus Compacts. Just wondering, does it seem really heavy? I remember my father's old binoculars, and I'd get tired after holding them up. The Olympus Compact had a lot of complaints about how they're not as waterproof as they say.

My DW uses them and has never complained or noticed the weight. They are certainly not heavy. Not only do I find the optics better but also the handling of them is much easier. I would suggest you try out as many as you can and focus in on a distant clock or church tower to see the difference good lenses make.

I have a small hand held battery operated room thermostat. Its great for vacations because you see what the real room temperature is. Even though we always have our cabin on the coolest setting its amazing to see my thermostat show the real temperature.

What good does it do as it does not control the room temp? If the thermostat says that the room temperature at the lowest setting is warmer than you would wish, what are you going to do about it?

Just another gadget.

DON

I can't believe no one has said Rum Runners. I use the larger size for booze and one of the smaller size for Tide in case we want to do laundry.

i plan on taking one of the new sheets that is a laundry soap, softner and ati-static. i will put it in a ziploc bag and it will take up less space. now too start thinking of what too put in the larger sizes of the rum runners:D

i plan on taking one of the new sheets that is a laundry soap, softner and ati-static. i will put it in a ziploc bag and it will take up less space. now too start thinking of what too put in the larger sizes of the rum runners:D

I've been thinking about using those too. I wonder if they have some that are the equivalent to All Free or Tide Free?

Nightlight for the bathroom, small ziplock bags for the remote controls (which are very hard to keep clean!), extension cords, small bottle of liquid soap for the bathroom counter, complexion brush because the washcloths are too rough for my face, cotton afghan blankets (they are "just right" for naps and nighttime sleep when the duvet feels too warm, small flashlights, a plastic container for mixing Crystal Light, kitchen-sized garbage bags for any dirty laundry...

Love some of the ideas posted! We will add a few to our luggage this week!

I bring packets of antibacterial wipes and Lysol in the small spray bottle (I think it about 1oz size) when I get in the cabin I immediately us the antibacterial wipes because the Lysol spray can is in my checked bag. Then throught out the cruise I use the Lysol spray I also keep the antibacterial wipes handy when on tours. There is nothing worse that getting some "stomach bug" while on vacation.

Helen, these work really well for warmer climates where a cup or two in the AM will suffice. They are all plastic, have no warming plate, and pack well. We take ours on every cruise. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=one+cup+at+a+time+coffee+maker&oe=UTF-8&cid=17971353352202572193&sa=title#p

Toto, thanks for this! Just ordered it from Amazon and it'll be here in 2 days. Cheaper than a coffee card, and no need to leave the room to get fresh coffee. What a great idea.

Great Ideas!! Gotta get one of those coffeemakers...

You might want to try Starbuck's new VIA instant coffee. comes in small packets and is actually very good. much easier than a coffee maker. But, of course, that is assuming you have HOT water to begin with, right!

What fantastic suggestions. I never heard of rum rummer before and can't wait to see what my dh thinks of this. Love the idea for jewlery, think I'll go to craft store and grab one of those small boxes that hold floss for needlepoint instead of tool box

Here's my list:

Highlighter - to mark on daily news what I want to do

$1's for tips - it's so hard to get cash on board

Bungee cord - to hold open door all night to hear the ocean

pop-up air freshner - bathroom really gets stinky since it's so small

clock

power strip -no plugs in rooms- phone, ipod, hair dryer, curling iron...

duck tape - a must!!!

backpack - great for excursions or walkabouts in town

Binoculars

ziplocks

deck of cards

notebook - to journal trip and use for card games

printed copy of passport - no worries for theft taking to the beach

Pill box - found at The Container Store - has compartments for all kinds of pills that may be needed on vacation - aspirin, antacid, Sudafed, Benadryl, Tylenol Cold, Mylanta, etc. Refill when you get home and it's ready for the next trip. No more digging for pills in tiny ziplocs or packets. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/hobby/dividedBoxes?productId=10009775

I'm amazed that it took almost three pages of posts before OTC medication was mentioned.

It cost me a small fortune, buying on ship and trying to find stuff on the islands, on our Caribbean cruise until we got to San Juan and could go to a Walgreens.

We always pack a "over the door holder" for the bathroom. I hate messy cabins. We also ususally pack my dvd player for the times I cant' sleep. Last cruise I brought a great movie that dh got me for x-mas. Its 168 hrs long so no worries about finishing it unless its a Loooong cruise! We also pack a wine bottle opener and a cork. I hate flat wine. We also pack our snorkel equpment.

PIA1913 - what kind of coffee maker to you pack? I've looked for a small one to take with me but so far I haven't found anything small enough that I would be able to pack.

I don't pack it but we also usually order. Wine for our first day. A bon voyage salute. And snacks. We also stop at the store before we board for several 12 packs of ginger ale as we always order a bottle of Tanqrey for our cabin. I love to be able to have a drink while we dress for dinner. It is the only time I ever get to have a drink before dinner and for me it means I'm cruising!!!!!!

Toto - you convinced me. I ordered one from Amazon just now. Plenty of time to pack it in our bags for our big cruise!!!!

thanks

helen

What's the name of the Movie? How much was a bottle of tanquray on board and why is everyone making coffee? Can't you order from room service? If not I need one of those cute coffee pots:D

What's the name of the Movie? How much was a bottle of tanquray on board and why is everyone making coffee? Can't you order from room service? If not I need one of those cute coffee pots:D

If you order coffee from room service, It's made from syrup and not very good. There is brewed coffee at the coffee bar next to the International Cafe.

Some think the coffee onboard that is served complimentary at the buffet, dining rooms and room service is fine. Others (like us) don't like it at all. I can't get past the nasty smell of the stuff. But I do try it once on each cruise, just to see if it's changed, which it hasn't in many years. Therefore the small 'cup at a time' coffee maker is one of the first things on my mental packing list. ;)

Archived