Thomson's Fluctuating Prices!

I'm relatively new to cruising and have been watching the price of a specific Thomson cruise over the past week in the hope of getting a last minute bargain. When reading other threads on here I have noticed other people referring to Thomsons prices fluctuating wildly, and now I have seen it for myself! For instance, at the start of the week the cruise I'm looking at was £513 - but by Friday it had went up to £585, had went down again by about forty pounds later on that day, had fallen back to £513 by last night but today is £603!! :eek:

I'm just wondering out of curiosity if anybody knows the rationale behind this - why does it cost nearly £100 more to book on a sunday afternoon than a saturday night? :confused:

I reckon they have some set of computer algorithms that automatically change the prices according to demand. If there are more bookings the price goes up and less bookings means the price goes down. Prices will vary more by date and time. If more people tend to book on a sunday the price will be increased on that day. One thing is sure, they won't tell you how it all works.

I'm relatively new to cruising and have been watching the price of a specific Thomson cruise over the past week in the hope of getting a last minute bargain. When reading other threads on here I have noticed other people referring to Thomsons prices fluctuating wildly, and now I have seen it for myself! For instance, at the start of the week the cruise I'm looking at was £513 - but by Friday it had went up to £585, had went down again by about forty pounds later on that day, had fallen back to £513 by last night but today is £603!! :eek:

I'm just wondering out of curiosity if anybody knows the rationale behind this - why does it cost nearly £100 more to book on a sunday afternoon than a saturday night? :confused:

I reckon it's all done through computer software. If there are lots of 'hits' on a particular holiday/not many cabins left/not many seats from a particular regional airport then 'they' might assume there is some interest and not a lot of availability so the program is designed to put the price up automatically. Conversely, lots of cabins/near to departure/plenty of seats on the plane prices drop to try to fill the cabins (at least once on board, even if they've got a cheap deal on the cabin, people will spend on drinks, excursions etc.) . It's sometimes interesting to see how much the prices can vary from airport to airport.

But there's no doubt that it's a minefield! Booking early may bring perks like free or cheap AI upgrades and of course, you get your choice of airport and dates. Leaving it late can bring bargains - but you could miss out altogether.

Probably the worst time to book is after the sweeteners to book early disappear but several months before departure. The trip we booked last April would currently cost us £100 each more now and with no AI included. However, it could turn out to be quite a bit cheaper a week or two before we go. :eek:

We tend to do both - if it's a trip we really want to do and it's at a price we're prepared to pay - we'll book early. If we're not absolutely committed to a particular date or itinerary we may wait and see what comes up and hope for a good deal - but you have to be prepared to be disappointed! Unfortunately, with work and family commitments not everyone is able to take advantage of the last minute deals.

I think you could get a Ph.D. on the basis of getting to the bottom of price variations! It's annoying when you realise that some people have paid a lot less than you - but on the other hand it isn't in anyone's interests for the ship to sail with unoccupied cabins as that would presumably mean across the board increases in the future to make up the short-fall. We try to look at it as 'you win some - you lose some'. Sometimes we've paid top dollar - other times we've had a bargain so I try to think it averages out for us. Of course that's not much consolation for those who've paid a lot and not had the benefit of any bargains along the way.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the price yo-yo?

P.S. tummysmummy - check out cruisedeals site - you may find the price on there is better than Thomson's own. It's not always, but worth checking.

Hi,

One thing I have noticed when I have checked last minute prices is that there is very little price difference between booking early and getting "free" A.I. and the cheap price and paying the full £169 p.p. for the A.I.

Berwyn

If you are unfortunate like me to have to book earlyish for holidays its very frustrating to say the least.

With Thompsons I would keep a close eye on the rollercoster prices and jump in when you think you have the best deal.

We saved £200 on the starting price although I knew if I could hold out longer it would drop again.We booked at the lowest price i had seen and then the prices stated to rise again.

Sure enough it did drop once more by another £150.

I assure myself that the price we paid is reasonable but most annoying to think we could have saved more.

On the contrary P and O do some good offers early on.We saved about £200,got £200 free on board credit and free parking for 17 days worth £157.

All in all we have made some good savings.

We booked on 2nd Jan this year for departure on th 11th Feb and me being me I then kept an eye on the prices going up to departure. Approx 2 weeks prior to leaving the total price for 4 of us was £850 cheaper!!!! just for one day before going back up again to £300-400 less

Some interesting ideas - it probably is some kind of program that updates the prices based on the web traffic. If that is the case though, that means that me constantly checking on the price is helping to put the price up!! :rolleyes:

Some interesting ideas - it probably is some kind of program that updates the prices based on the web traffic. If that is the case though, that means that me constantly checking on the price is helping to put the price up!! :rolleyes:

Hi,

I think if it was just us checking the prices they'd be permanently through the roof. :) .

I think it might go more on bookings. Well I hope so.

Berwyn

It really is the old supply and demand, the more bookings the more the price changes.

Find a price on Thomsons then try other suppliers to see if they better it, (Gill, 1st4cruising, cruise uk.co) then return to a Thomson shop and see what they offer.

It does help if like us you can be very flexible with dates and even flights.

Our Thomson Dream cruise in September is now £600 more than when we booked ours, because the ship is nearly full.

If only we knew ! I have booked last minute cruises loads of times and got some great bargains but it does not always work as others have mentioned.

I want to go on the Dream 2 week cruise starting on the 23rd December but the prices are crazy atm. £2000 per person and no free AI ! I just cannot afford to pay £8000 for a single cruise. Now I am going to wait and try to bag a bargain but realistically I no not think I stand any chance for this particular cruise because it will be very popular sailing over Christmas and the new year.

I am also looking the last week of July and the prices have been moving up and down everyday, so its just a case of holding your nerve and taking a chance.

Some you win, some you lose :)

Totally agree re. fluctuations. We were looking last minute for next week on Island Escape cruising the Canaries. This morning the Tenerife stop was £482 with only entry level cabins available. Now it's £500 with all upgrades available at twice the price they were yesterday. We booked to go from Funchal at good cabin upgrades prices. So it's not just the basic price but the cabin upgrades that go up and down by the day.

Jan

Weird!! an hour later and the Tenerife price is now £507 but the cabin upgrades are half the price. Makes no sense to me.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Perhaps everyone who is booking are going for the cheapest standard cabins.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

You could be right. Tenerife has disappeared from the website now but it did this twice this morning when we considered going for that date. Your to blame you talked me into going on the cruise last week when we were all set to go to London BUT the long range forecast looks good, so all thanks to you. We have upgraded to 7, 8 or 9 but haven't picked a specific cabin. Had a look at the ship in Funchal port along with 2 other cruise ships today, nice and sunny. Also, had a snoop at your photos, you look like you're REALLY enjoying yourselves, especially the one with the beers. :D:D

Jan

Hi Berwyn

You could be right. Tenerife has disappeared from the website now but it did this twice this morning when we considered going for that date. Your to blame you talked me into going on the cruise last week when we were all set to go to London BUT the long range forecast looks good, so all thanks to you. We have upgraded to 7, 8 or 9 but haven't picked a specific cabin. Had a look at the ship in Funchal port along with 2 other cruise ships today, nice and sunny. Also, had a snoop at your photos, you look like you're REALLY enjoying yourselves, especially the one with the beers. :D:D

Jan

Ialways get the blame Jan, :(:D

Mrs.c was blaming me for the bad weather they had as I was on the week before.

Yes e had a great time thanks. The pic with the beers was as soon as we'd got on board. We left Manchester about 7 a.m. and were aboard and in there by 1p.m.

It's an odd mix of pics I know, but people were asking a bit what the weather had been like and what cabins were like and the Oasis menu.

Berwyn

Is it just me or have Thomson's prices gone overboard this year, the Dream is now well above Princess & RC for the winter season in the Caribbean.

Oh well, back to the American Lines for our winter cruise

Is it just me or have Thomson's prices gone overboard this year, the Dream is now well above Princess & RC for the winter season in the Caribbean.

Oh well, back to the American Lines for our winter cruise

No, you are right. We were looking at the Dream for early next year, but it came to approx £4000 for both of us. And that is outside the holiday periods.

Berwyn

Archived