Storm in Northeast strand anyone?

fastphil4u

Mafiadon/Linda,

My nephew is graduating from SUNY Canton in May what's the cheapest way to get up there. I've looked at flights from Pensacola, FL to Ogdensburg and they are wanting big bucks plus 4 different planes to get there. :(

sls

We went on the Sensation January 6th and one friend got snowed in at Chicago's airport. She spent the night there and got on the ship 30 minutes before we set sail - we were certain she would not make it.

My sister got back from the Grand Princess in Galveston this past Saturday and their flights back to DC had been cancelled - what a nightmare! At least it was at the END of the cruise!

It was -13 here in Albany, NY this morning. I come downstairs at 6:30 just after my 16 year old son went out to catch the bus down at the end of the street. I see his medium weight jacket, the kind I might wear if it was 40 degrees, is still on the coat rack.

Ah, that's good news I think, since he's been known to wear that jacket even when it's much too cold for it. I guess since it's below zero he had to break down and wear his winter coat.

But I wonder... I look where his winter coat is hung, and there it is on the hook. This means he not only didn't wear his winter coat at 13 below, he didn't even wear his medium weight coat. He must have worn a hooded sweatshirt and that's it. I'd be very surprised if he took a hat or gloves.

It's 13 below zero for goodness sake! Anyone with the intelligence of a rutabaga would know enough to wear a winter coat. What he heck is wrong with this kid?

He'll no doubt say "How was I supposed to know it was that cold?" Aside from the fact that there is a thermometer on the wall to look at, it's January, you can assume it will be cold every morning. Is he going to tell me he didn't know it was January?

Kids will drive you crazy.

It was -13 here in Albany, NY this morning. I come downstairs at 6:30 just after my 16 year old son went out to catch the bus down at the end of the street. I see his medium weight jacket, the kind I might wear if it was 40 degrees, is still on the coat rack.

Ah, that's good news I think, since he's been known to wear that jacket even when it's much too cold for it. I guess since it's below zero he had to break down and wear his winter coat.

But I wonder... I look where his winter coat is hung, and there it is on the hook. This means he not only didn't wear his winter coat at 13 below, he didn't even wear his medium weight coat. He must have worn a hooded sweatshirt and that's it. I'd be very surprised if he took a hat or gloves.

It's 13 below zero for goodness sake! Anyone with the intelligence of a rutabaga would know enough to wear a winter coat. What he heck is wrong with this kid?

He'll no doubt say "How was I supposed to know it was that cold?" Aside from the fact that there is a thermometer on the wall to look at, it's January, you can assume it will be cold every morning. Is he going to tell me he didn't know it was January?

Kids will drive you crazy.

*blush*

I must admit, your son sounds like me. I hate to wear a coat....absolutely HATE it. They laugh at me at work....they know its REALLY cold outside when I show up with a blazer or sweater on...VERY rarely the real coat. I grew up in southern WV, it stays flipping cold all winter, and I guess I got used to it. Moved to Central VA and when it hits 50 degrees here, people have their hats, gloves, and parkas on! LOL!

Cold doesn't bother me too much...however, I do keep a coat in the car in case my car gets stuck and I have to walk somewhere...but otherwise....forget it!

Stef

Sure is cold here in Tampa. I might have to wear a long sleeve shirt tomorrow, maybe even a light sweater. I am strongly considering turning on the heater.

It was miserable here in Southern California also, kujobie.

I was out by the pool yesterday. Terrible ! ! Sweat running into my eyes. Difficult to read. Ran out of lemonade, had to switch over to beer. Horrible ! ! Finally, just had to go inside to cool off and take a shower. Sometimes the weather here can be a bitch. :D

Of course, I made a special point of calling all of my ole classmates in Iowa to tell them this. :rolleyes:

I know why retired people get the hell out of NY for the winter!Winter sucks.Only 11 more years of this crap for me.Then it's,if it don't fit in the motorhome,it's for sale.And I'm outta here!!.......LOL:D

Yeah, they all come down here. Can't wait for them to leave in the spring. Can you blame them though? Summers up north, winters in Florida. The blue-haired snow birds are smarter than you think.

Hey this Southern California weather CAN be brutal! Hey it rained for like two weeks about a month ago. I know it was the first rain we've had in about four years, but nonetheless it was very traumatic for us. But we actually got to use an umbrella which was really cool. Plus, as a guy who was born in Cape Cod and raised in Philly, I still here'em say that braving the cold "builds character".... he he he... o.k. if you say so. With that said, I admit it, I've turned into a weather sissy. And as I grow older, I am on a quest to find and remain in warmer climates on a continuous basis. Hey, guess I better book a cruise!

George

Next year at this time I too will be retired in Florida!!I was planning to take early retirement in the middle of 2006 but our agency offered a retirement package for this March and doing some investigstion work I found out I can buy time to retire 12/31/05. Too late for the package but not too late to get out of town before the real winter sets in.

Got off the Star Princess last week in Ft Lauderdale and realized Florida is where I really need to be! This winter weather is not for me..

2 years ago I was stranded in Las Vegas for 5 extra days during a major snow storm..what a hardship that was..

AS DH and I shoveled the 3 feet of snow off the deck yesterday, we chatted about how good our July cruise is looking and how we will sit back and think of how we had to shovel for two days over the winter!

This kind of weather is the reason I don't like to fly in the winter ;) Only two more months till spring!

The bad weather in the east actually worked to our advantage as well. We debarked from the Valor and drove to West Palm on Sunday morning to catch our flight to Detroit on Spirit. The flight was overbooked due to all the airport closings the previous day and so Spirit was desperate for volunteers. We "sacrificed" by spending another day in Florida and got two roundtrip tickets EACH for a total of 8 free tickets just for spending the night. I figure it was at least a $1600 offer and so now we will probably spend Easter and Christmas in Florida as well.

The bad weather in the east actually worked to our advantage as well. We debarked from the Valor and drove to West Palm on Sunday morning to catch our flight to Detroit on Spirit. The flight was overbooked due to all the airport closings the previous day and so Spirit was desperate for volunteers. We "sacrificed" by spending another day in Florida and got two roundtrip tickets EACH for a total of 8 free tickets just for spending the night. I figure it was at least a $1600 offer and so now we will probably spend Easter and Christmas in Florida as well.

Wow,

you made out great,can I go with you?? Please??;)

Have you checked Transmeridian airways, I am not sure where you are in Florida I do know that they fly our of Orlando to Syracuse nonstop and there rates aren't too bad. Rent a car at Syracuse and it is about a 2 1/2 hour ride to Canton for there. Here is their website [url]http://iflytma.com/[/url] they have very nice planes. Let me know when you are coming do you have a place to stay it gets really busy as there are other colleges graduating at that time so you should book a hotel as soon as possible. I can give you a list of some of the places if you would like. Linda

This is why when I do cruise, I fly into my port city early!!

Fortunately, I wasn't cruising this week (or maybe I am unfortunate ;) ) Anyway...I went to KY (from Maine) to visit my oldest daughter at school. Before the bad weather even started last Thursday, we had difficulties and wound up getting there 4 hours later than planned...
but on the way home...what a nightmare!!
We were supposed to Leave Louisville at about 5:30 on Sunday and catch a connecting flight in Cincinnati, which would get us back to Portland, Maine by 9pm.
As it was, we had to get to the airport early so we could watch the Eagles/Falcons game...which was awesome, only we had to leave just as the 4th quarter started and missed the entire quater (and the win :D )...we got to Cincinnati just in time to see the Eagles get the trophy ( :D )
Then....we were stranded. Our flight into Portland was cancelled. We were put on standby for the next flight available, at 10:45 [U]the next morning[/U]. We took a shuttle to a hotel (which the airline did not pay for since this was weather related) and stayed overnight. We got to the airport at 9 am, waited, but knew it was useless since we were 16th and 17th on the stanby list of 35 people, waiting for a sold out plane....needless to say, we didn't get on.
They did manage to get us booked on a flight from Cincinnati to La Guardia, and then get another plane to Manchester NH, where we would have to rent a car, pay a hefty fee because we would be dropping the car off at the Portland Maine airport and we didn't get home until 1:30 this morning.
Because of the craziness of air travel these days, I spent 3 of my 5 days away, in airports.
I get travle insurance for cruises...and NOW I will purchase travel insurance every time I fly from now on. Between the hotel, extra meals and rental car, we added $200 to this little jaunt to see my daughter. Her going to college costs a heck of a lot more than just tuition :eek:
So....to all who read this, please travel to your port city early when cruising, and always get travel insurance as well!!!

FTLOG! I'm just thankful my cruise was not this week! Was in NYC first part of last week (way too cold and windy), then up to Buffalo (cold), then to Toronto (-14), back to Buffalo, never got out of the single digits, and WAY too much snow for a Southerner, was supposed to be home Saturday morning, got home late last night.... I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to be back in NC. I don't think I could ever live North of NC again, EVER! OUCH! I'm still frozen :eek: Had a trip scheduled for the week before my next cruise and cancelled it today! Not taking ANY chances! LOL!!!!!!! If I'm going to be stranded, I would rather it be on a ship and NOT in Buffalo!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!

Archived