cabin and shore excursion questions from first time cruisers

cmstraf

We are going to celebrate my Italian husband's 50th birthday lifelong dream of a trip to the South Seas on a 7 day PG trip in June before going on to spend 4 postcruise nights on Bora Bora. We spend most of our vacations visiting family in Italy (much more exciting for me than for him) so I'm very excited that this time he gets to pick where we go and want to make it as special as possible for him without completely breaking the bank. We are total cruise virgins so I have lots of questions:

--We have C balcony staterooms and would love suggestions about what would be good cabins to request. It looks like there are some larger ones at the back, but I have also heard that farther forward is generally the way to go. How big or little is 202 square feet? It looks on the scrunched side but quite lovely in the photos. Do the beds face the balcony (a favorite of DH)?

--Are there any shore excursions that people would particularly recommend? We especially want to make the most of our time on Moorea (being somewhat sorry that we did not choose this larger island for our postcruise stay, but are already committed)

--what is a tender?

--Any other tips you think we might find useful? I see that I'm not even sure what questions to ask!

Many people prefer cabins in the middle of a ship. Some people quite like cabins at the rear (aft end) of a ship. Cabins in the middle, especially on lower decks, experience the least amount of motion - think about a seesaw. Cabins at each end of a ship experience more motion. For many people the difference is subtle or not noticeable. But some people are affected by the increase motion at either end.

The C cabin floor plan posted on the PG web site shows the bed parallel to the exterior wall. So no, the bed does not face the balcony.

A tender is a small boat that is used to take passengers from the ship to the shore. Often ships will use some of their lifeboats as tenders. Tenders are used when the place you are visiting does not have a harbor deep enough for the ship to dock.

The beds don't face the balcony or window, but are parallel to it. Some face forward and some face backwards, so if this matters to you, have a look at the deck layouts and think about that. Some folks love the aft C balconies, I've never done this. In fact, we usually do E window cabins, since you really spend very little time in your cabin. The cabin size isn't bad, really.

The PG tenders everywhere except Papeete and Raiatea. They have several large tenders and some smaller ones.

In Bora Bora, you can usually go by tender in the afternoons to a beautiful beach out on a motu (one of lots of little islands that ring the main volcanic island.) It's relaxing, lovely beach, great water, lovely views of BB.

Make sure to take reef shoes. Also called water socks. Very necessary, since even the nicest beach has bits of broken coral.

The ship provides very good snorkel equipment for the duration, so you can take that along to the beach.

Since you're doing BB after your cruise, chilling on the beach sounds like a good use of your time when there on the ship. At some point, do the stingray ballet tour--either on the ship or afterwards. Out in the lagoon with stingrays, and great snorkelling.

re: Tours on Moorea - Everyone extols the beauty of Bora Bora, and it is truly amazing - the water is gorgeous beyond words. But Moorea is an incredible gem of an island - my fave of all the Society Islands. Make sure you visit the Belvedere Lookout - either on your own or with a guide. Go on a clear day. Stunning views of Mt. Rotui and Opunohu and Cooks Bays. The roads are narrow, windy and steep. If you are into marine life (and if you are not, you will be!), be sure to do a tour with Dr. Michael Poole. We did a dolphin tour with him in 1999 and I still recall it very fondly. Wish we'd done it again on our cruise last month...he's still doing lots of tours in Moorea. The following info is a from a website... "This unique ecological tour of Moorea's lagoon and surrounding open waters outside her protective reefs is one of the more interesting things any animal loving person can experience in French Polynesia. What makes it different than other "eco trips" in the same area is Dr. Poole himself. His knowledge of marine mammals in Moorea waters is unsurpassed by any other biologist in the area and his style and passion of sharing that knowledge with his clientelle makes for a memorable excursion..." It's not whale season, and there's no way of guaranteeing what animals you will see, although likely the pods of spinner dolphins that Dr. Poole has spent decades studying will be there. Beautiful, intelligent animals!

("Dr. Poole takes particular interest in the health and future welfare of these magnificent creatures and in so doing has a "never pursue" attitude toward the animals, but prefers to locate their area, then let them come to the boat... Since these animals are quite used to various boats around them, they will often times come right next to the boat- almost within touching distance!")

DOLPHIN & WHALEWATCHING EXPEDITIONS

PO Box 698, 98728 Maharepa- MOOREA, Contact: Dr. Michael POOLE, Telephone/ Fax- (689) 56.14.70/ or 56.23.22 (Sorry, but I don't have an email for him.)

I really am into the history and culture of Polynesia. If you are interested in finding about what life was like 200 years ago, what the explorers found when they arrived (i.e. Captain Cook, William Bligh and the crew of the Bounty, etc) and how the European missionaries ravaged and ruined the culture, then there is one person you must contact who does great tours. Mark Eddowes. He often lectures on the ship (don't miss him!!) He is an Archaeologist/Anthropologist from New Zealand and he is a font of information about the South Pacific. He is totally passionate about his work, and very entertaining while informative. We attended three of his wonderful lectures while on the PG, and did a tour with him on Moorea - Trail of the Ancients. A half-day that included an incredible 2.5 hr hike down a mountain through a rain forest, stopping at various maraes (temples) which he has excavated. Lots of interesting info on the flora and fauna. Incredible vistas. Tour includes Belvedere Lookout.

I wanted to go to the Tiki Village Theatre, which I think is located on the west side of the island, but time ran out. I've read mixed reviews of this place.

Archived