Can you mail post cards from the ship

ckr31

Yes, I do it at nearly every port. The ship will charge you the cost in USD for the price of that country's stamp. The cost will make you appreciate your local post office because some countries are really high[$2.00 or so]. As for how long it will take, you will be home in time for your friends to call and say " I got your card today".

I usually post them from port but there is a drop box on board.

Don't bring stamps, as you will have to pay the postage of each particular Island or port. I have been home weeks before some of them have shown up! Usually I arrive home before they do.

i was told by someone last week that someone at the customer service (?) desk told them that they do not mail out at individual ports that they just mail everything from the states at the end. and she said (the poster) that it still took a long time to reach their destinations.

so i guess the answer is yes you can mail out postcards from the ship but there isnt really a guarantee where its going to mail from or how long it will take

i was told by someone last week that someone at the customer service (?) desk told them that they do not mail out at individual ports that they just mail everything from the states at the end.

That information is just not correct. On port days, mail leaves the ship prior to sailing. On sea days, mail leaves the ship at the next port.

Do you think ships on European cruises hold mail for months before mailing it when they return to the US? Also, mail with foreign postage cannot be mailed in the US.

It's true, mail can take quite some time to reach its recipient. We mailed a postcard from Curacao in early February and it took a month to be delivered.

Lew

i thought there answer was a bit odd but i thought for shorter cruises (up to 7 days) that maybe it was possible.

i know on RCCL on our 14 day meditteranean cruise they mailed stuff out at every port but i wasnt sure what Princess' policy was.

we will be on the Emereld in less than 2 weeks so i guess iw ill find out first hand! :D

I think it really depends on the ship. Some of my postcards took literally MONTHS to be received (they must have fallen under something in the Purser's Office and gotten lost!), others got to the recipients fairly quickly. I must say that I have not seen any direct correlation between time it takes them too be received and the distance from which they are sent.

Faster to hand deliver them!! LOL

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

DH began years ago compiling a scrapbook of postcards from every place we've visited - he knows all of the ins and outs of postal services (he's also a philatelist (sp? stamp collector) and in each port we have to find the post office to mail the post card from that port. The ships we have been on will post them but you have to be careful of the time you get them to the desk. He always manages to sniff out the post offices in each town to purchase the stamps and it brings him so much enjoyment that I happily go with him. Thanks to him, we have a memory book of each port with personalized notes. Of all the countries, I think Poland was the slowest in delivery. :)

Archived