Have any of you missed your ships because of the snowstorm in the Northeast?

If you are answering to this thread, I hope it wasnt you. Its really disappointing after months of waiting and counting down till your cruise and then not being able to go. Our cruise is scheduled for February 19th, I just have to keep my fingers crossed. My motherinlaw who is always the bearer of bad news informed me that she heard we're in for another major snowstorm between February 18 and 20th. Hope not! Its too far in advance to be sure. Right?!

Hi Lauren!

I have finally finazlized my plans, we are flying out Wednesday nite, should arrive in FLL by 8 PM, so we have couple of days leeway in case of a storm! It was just way to expensive to fly out on a Thursday, so my son can at least go to school Weds, maybe miss last period, and out to Boston we go for a 4:30 flight. We are staying at the Tropi Rock for 3 nites, I have booked Orville Taylor for Jamaica, and am either going to book Native ways or Soto for Grand Cayman, I know you booked Nativeway, what time are u going out? They haven't answered my email yet about the times the tours leave.... I'm finally getting some plans in place!!!

Talk soon

Our very first cruise, believe it was 1993. Huge storm on the East coast. Our flight got diverted to Miami and we couldn't get to the ship. We ended up spending the night on the floor in the airport. Not a very pleasant experience. We did meet up with other passengers in the same situation and we eventually made our way to Martinique to catch up with the ship at it's first port of call. About half the passengers never made it at all and many of those who did never got their luggage. We were lucky to have found ours in Miami. On the bright side we ended up eating dinner with the group we met on our "adventure" and had a great time the rest of the cruise. Now I always make sure we fly down at least a day ahead. Spending 2 nights in New Orleans before our Feb. 12th cruise. I'm glad it wasn't this weekend. We have over two feet of snow in the Boston area today. Logan is closed and not set to open anytime soon.

Hi MsSweezie99:

Glad you have finalized your plans. Your really playing it safe going a few days early. We couldnt have gone any earlier because my husband would have missed too much work and I would have also missed too much. As it is, my father passed away last week and I lost a week there already. Your question about Nativeway, we're taking the a.m tour. So is Jody Mc. It took a few days before I heard from Sharon by e-mail. Then she wanted my phone number to call me for my credit card # to hold my reservation. I didnt feel uncomfortable doing that since they seem to be a reputable company. She was very pleasant on the phone. I just hope we get a tender in time to make the tour. We didnt want the afternoon because we want some time to go shopping afterwards and also don't want to worry about getting back to the ship. See you soon!

Lauren

Hi Lauren & MsSweezie,

We are flying in on Friday night, flight leaves around 5:30 but we don't get in until around 11pm as there are no non-stop flights from Rochester to Ft. Lauderdale. I wish we were going earlier because if we have another storm like this we may have trouble getting on another flight early the next morning. I will watch the weather reports and if they predict another storm I may try to get out earlier that day or even the night before.

I also gave Sharon from Nativeways my credit card # over the phone. We are going in the morning. Last time we went later in the day and never really saw GC as we got off the ship later and after swimming with the stingrays there wasn't much time left to see GC. I have read good things about both Soto's and Nativeways so I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

See you soon.

Hi JodyMc-

We're leaving on Friday also but have a 9:30 a.m. flight. I just hope our plan of getting in a day earlier doesnt backfire and there is no snowstorm on Friday. If that were the case then we would have to hang out at the airport hoping to get on another flight later that day or early the next day. Just pray it doesnt happen!

See you all soon!

Lauren

Our very first cruise, believe it was 1993. Huge storm on the East coast. Our flight got diverted to Miami and we couldn't get to the ship. We ended up spending the night on the floor in the airport. Not a very pleasant experience. We did meet up with other passengers in the same situation and we eventually made our way to Martinique to catch up with the ship at it's first port of call. About half the passengers never made it at all and many of those who did never got their luggage. We were lucky to have found ours in Miami. On the bright side we ended up eating dinner with the group we met on our "adventure" and had a great time the rest of the cruise. Now I always make sure we fly down at least a day ahead. Spending 2 nights in New Orleans before our Feb. 12th cruise. I'm glad it wasn't this weekend. We have over two feet of snow in the Boston area today. Logan is closed and not set to open anytime soon.

Me too I am flying to Jamiaca to meet the boat. Staying at a hotel near the hip strip hopefully it be fun.

If you are answering to this thread, I hope it wasnt you. Its really disappointing after months of waiting and counting down till your cruise and then not being able to go. Our cruise is scheduled for February 19th, I just have to keep my fingers crossed. My motherinlaw who is always the bearer of bad news informed me that she heard we're in for another major snowstorm between February 18 and 20th. Hope not! Its too far in advance to be sure. Right?!

How/where do you check on snowstorm predictions that far in advance? I would put little belief in it anyway since the predictions are generally wrong even a day or 2 in advance, but it might be fun to see how they do with timeframes that far out. We sailed the past 2 Februaries and had no major problem with weather to get to Miami. I just don't have a good feeling about this year for some reason, but I don't have any data to support that!

Hey cruiselovin just the person i need to talk to. What is it like to cruise in Febuary anywhere. We are cruising in Feb for the first time with family and friends because that is the only time to get away.Western is where we are going. KEY W, Cozumel, belieze.I hope it is fine on seas and the current isn't that bad in Feb.

How/where do you check on snowstorm predictions that far in advance? I would put little belief in it anyway since the predictions are generally wrong even a day or 2 in advance, but it might be fun to see how they do with timeframes that far out. We sailed the past 2 Februaries and had no major problem with weather to get to Miami. I just don't have a good feeling about this year for some reason, but I don't have any data to support that!

Probably the Farmers Almanac, which isn't right any more often then the local fortune teller.

Hey cruislovin what is it like to cruise in Feb. WE are going in feb to keywest, cozumel,belieze. The weater are the waves real strong or are they calmer this time of the year. My family and i first time out of ft lauderdale

lojill,

I hope this information is helpful to you. We have cruised several times in February (my birthday month!), including several times out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. So far we have never had bad weather in February. In fact, it has been exceptionally calm and sunny on those February cruises. I don't know if this is the norm, or if we were just lucky!

Happy cruising.

There are so many variables when it comes to this. This year, as in teh past, we are flying down the day before. Once, we flew down two days before and there was a problem with teh entire northeast air traffic control system and flights were delayed and cancelled. We also were affected by teh Northeast blackout in 2003! We plan for snow but not blackouts. Who is to say that you pick a tuesday, wednesday or thrusday before the weekend cruise and thoise days get the big snow???? It is a matter of luck. What I also do is monitor the weather extensively and if I think there is amjor storm coming, I will then book another flight and go down earlier but I do believe that there is only so much we can do (besides travel insurance!)

All the best.

Don't blame me for the stupid predication of the snowstorm (LOL)! Blame my motherinlaw. She swears by our local weatherman here in Rockland County. She thinks what he says with the weather goes. Meanwhile I checked the Farmers Almanac and they said fair for the days we are leaving. So I believe no one can really predict that far in advance.

Lauren...I am also cruising on Feb 19 and when I read your post I got nervous. My DH says that he doesn't believe that they can predict the weather so far in advance. I checked the Farmers Almanac also and it did predict this snowstorm that we just got, but said that it would come about 2 days after we actually got it. I saw that it said "fair skies" for the days that we have to travel, so for now, I am going with that. I don't want to worry for the next four weeks. I am planning on monitoring the weather reports very closely and hope for the best.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Lauren,

We are also going on Feb. 19. out of San Juan from NY, and my sister informed me of the impending Feb. snowstorm.... Lets just hope it doesn't happen. We to are flying out early, actually 2 days and I would hate to be sitting in the airport for those extra days too! 26 Days and counting!

(Kathy) Mttk2

Since I have a tendency to get seasick we usually stay low down center of the ship on Deck 3. It was just me and my husband so the room didnt feel too crowded. We even had a soft to sit on. The ship is beautiful though, the nicest one I've been on so far. I'm going on the Enchantment in February so I don't know how that will compare.

-- with many still stranded at their airports. There are a lot of people who will meet the ship in Aruba tomorrow.

Our direct (Sunday) flight from BWI was cancelled Friday night and were rerouted Saturday via DFW to SJU. We were five hours late arriving in DFW. No more flights to SJU that night. We stayed overnight, accepting the airline's "distress" rate for a local room. When we arrived back at airport next morning, we were shocked to see the number of stranded people sleeping on army cots with airline blankets and pillows.

We made it to the ship by 4 pm without any of our luggage. I was sure the bags wouldn't make the ship until Aruba. Miracle of miracle, all three bags arrived in the cabin after 11.

-- Judy and Steve

Archived