guys dress code

mrdrdoso

So if I wear jeans and a Tshirt to dinner does it make your food taste different? Does it ruin your fun time? Doest it make you feel different? I dont understand....

I will bet that the people that feel a Tshirt is not appropriate for the MDR are an older crowd...... I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but times were a little different....... I am 36 years old and I think a Thsirt is fine... Not saying I am right and they are wrong...

I think the idea of having your husband pack a few extra shirts is a good idea. If they are the same size it might not be a bad idea to pack an extra pair of khakis too. You never know. He might decide he wants to wear them.

If you are cruising in Europe or Alaska, I supposed jeans would be comfortable in the summer. However, in the hot humid Caribbean summer, jeans are not as comfortable as slacks. Even in December, Cozumel can reach over 80 degrees with humidity high enough to create an inch of sweat on your entire body just standing or sitting in the shade. Lighter, cooler slacks are the ticket.... People, when you travel south, you aren't in Michigan or Minnesota temperature wise..

One thing is for certain, you won't find many Arabs in Saudi Arabia wearing jeans during the day....

One dining room is "no jeans" at night and one isn't. If you don't mind not going to the "no jeans" one your problem is solved. Menu is the same at both.

We just returned from the Pearl and there were plenty of jeans in the "no jeans" MDR. It didn't seem to be an issue. But I agree that a polo shirt would be better than a t-shirt. My son brings 3 and wears them 2 nights each for an hour or two.

Ok, here is an opinion from a Dad who has been in this situation three times now. We are the proud parents of an “only child” who we spoil as much as possible. When she was about 12 we invited one of her girl friends to join us on a cruise. Her friend simply had clothing that did not seem to compliment the rest of our family. While we never said a word, we noticed that she ended up wearing the same outfit to dinner. While in Port we purchased both the Girls new outfits just for the fun of shopping and that seem to take care of the problem.

Fast forward to age 17 and BOYS…. Now we are bringing the BF. We knew he could not afford new clothing. I had an old Tux that fitted him just fine and I have long since out grown it. We also had a “spontaneous” shopping day and we all purchased some Bon Voyage clothes compliments of DAD. For this young man, this dressing well turned out to be a very important issue for him.

Now to last year…. We took the most recent BF. This trip we were on the Star and in a Garden Villa. Again, my kid’s guest had limited financial ability regarding a clothing budget. So, again we tired the spontaneous shopping for Bon Voyage gifts. He would have nothing to do with the event. Somehow he managed to get a nice collection of clothing together.

My point is…. It depends on the individual if dressing is an important concern. I think it is a good idea to share what you will be wearing in port, at dinner and on formal nights so he will have an idea what to expect. Then follow your good old common sense…

Reality is you can wear just about anything on NCL.

I think you handled all three events perfectly!

He will be fine... Dont worry about it. I have even wore shorts, Tshirt and sneakers into the dining room.... In fact I have done it numerous times along with others in my group. Not on formal night... We have always put on nice blue jeans, T****s and sneakers for formal nights...

Before i get blasted.... I am very well off (semi retired at 36) and I do know what class is..... I just dont care what others think. It is my vacation and I paid for it. I want to be comfortable. Like I said if other want to dress up then great... that is fine but I dont want too. I go to many high end resterauns in Palm Springs, LA and New York and dress the same way.... Nobody has ever said anything to me nor do I feel uncomfortable. Times have changed.

Dont worry about it.... He will fit right in. Have a great time.

Didn't you say you had NEVER been on NCL?

So if I wear jeans and a Tshirt to dinner does it make your food taste different? Does it ruin your fun time? Doest it make you feel different? I dont understand....

I will bet that the people that feel a Tshirt is not appropriate for the MDR are an older crowd...... I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but times were a little different....... I am 36 years old and I think a Thsirt is fine... Not saying I am right and they are wrong...

No. You are saying the rules don't apply to you.

No. You are saying the rules don't apply to you.

No not at all... I just feel that it is my vacation and I paid for it and I want to be comfortable..... If they dont like it they can ask me to leave but it has never happend. I just think everyone should be comfrotable.... If your comfort level is a tux then go for it... if your comfot level is a polo shirt then go fo it... if your comfort level is jeans and a Tshirt then go fo it.... There will be a good mix and it takes all kinds to make the world go round.....

If you are cruising in Europe or Alaska, I supposed jeans would be comfortable in the summer. However, in the hot humid Caribbean summer, jeans are not as comfortable as slacks. Even in December, Cozumel can reach over 80 degrees with humidity high enough to create an inch of sweat on your entire body just standing or sitting in the shade. Lighter, cooler slacks are the ticket.... People, when you travel south, you aren't in Michigan or Minnesota temperature wise..

One thing is for certain, you won't find many Arabs in Saudi Arabia wearing jeans during the day....

I'm sorry, but in less the A/C on NCL does not work as well as the other cruise lines I have been on, jeans are the most comfortable item for me to wear in the evenings. If I try to wear capris or a skirt, my legs freeze.

Why... Will NCL not let me in the MDR if I wear shorts?

On the NCL Spirit in February, I witnessed pax in shorts turned away from the Windows MDR . The hostess showed the sign with dress code that is prominently displayed at her desk. I also witnessed this on the NCL Dawn a year ago. This is the published policy as per NCL literature.

It is my understanding that they very likely allow those shorts in the other, smaller MDR.

This is for the evening meal, and does not apply at breakfast and lunch in those dining rooms.

I never saw shorts or ball-caps in the MDR at dinner.

The above notwithstanding, there are reports of some ships and itineraries where the staff seems to have simply given up any attempt at civility and allowed an 'anything goes' attitude. Dawn out of NY to Bermuda last summer comes to mind.

In my opinion, passengers should familiarize themselves with a cruise line's stated policies BEFORE they book, and if they don't plan to comply with said policies, they should book on another line.

But you will note that the OP clearly stated in the very beginning that they did NOT want the written policy posted. They wanted to see how far they could stretch it. If enough people here said it is ok, I guess that will be enough for the Maitre D at the door to the dining room. Or so it seems sometimes.

But you will note that the OP clearly stated in the very beginning that they did NOT want the written policy posted. They wanted to see how far they could stretch it. If enough people here said it is ok, I guess that will be enough for the Maitre D at the door to the dining room. Or so it seems sometimes.

I really appreciate everyones help but this thread has taken a whole new life. I am aware of the policy but didn't want our dd bf to feel out of place and he didn't know we paid his way, we kinda told him it was a special to add 4th person on for free, otherwise his pride would not of let him say yes. We are trying to give him something that he could never have. I just wanted to find out with his current wardrobe what he could wear. Some of you have been very helpful and I thank you for that. So this op is signing of this thread. Happy sailing to all

I really appreciate everyones help but this thread has taken a whole new life. I am aware of the policy but didn't want our dd bf to feel out of place and he didn't know we paid his way, we kinda told him it was a special to add 4th person on for free, otherwise his pride would not of let him say yes. We are trying to give him something that he could never have. I just wanted to find out with his current wardrobe what he could wear. Some of you have been very helpful and I thank you for that. So this op is signing of this thread. Happy sailing to all

I think that's wonderful! I'm sure he's a great guy and doesn't want to be considered a charity case. Good for you! I'm sure you got the answers you needed and you will all have a great time on your cruise.

I just feel that it is my vacation and I paid for it and I want to be comfortable.....

This statement is the epitomy of "the rules don't apply to me".

There is a time and place for just about everything, and the MDR for dinner is the time and place for long pants or jeans. As a grown man, you should have an understanding for appropriate attire. The amount of money one has does not exempt them from certain things.

Archived