Bringing on Wine

sarahc78

My luggage...well, one of our four checked bags...didn't appear in our cabin with the other 3. I was starting to get concerned...went out in the hallway...and met some new friends who also didn't get their luggage. However, theirs had been confiscated. Apparently they x-ray all the checked bags...and bottles of wine (yes, 2 per cabin are allowed) look suspicious and mean that they confiscate your bag. They put all the confiscated bags down on deck 2 in security. Folks are allowed into the area, one at a time, to find their bag and open it in front of the security people. Once it's determined that it is in fact wine, they may take it upstairs. The security people told us that bottles of wine can look like a potential weapon (a gun) in the x-ray. Seriously....that's what they said. Anyway, my bag wasn't there...but was delivered a little late to my cabin...arrived at 6:10pm. In plenty of time for dinner....and I was very relieved. Bags where the tag comes off somehow are put at guest relations on deck 3 for their owners to collect. IF there is another tag on it (not the cruise line tag, but one that is your own...yes, they match the name or name/address to the ship's guest and deliver it to the right cabin. Everyone that I dealt with on the delayed bag was absolutely nice to deal with...all assured me that the bag was indeed on the ship and that it would appear. All were very calm (I was not). But all was well...I'd over-reacted. It just was interesting to see how many people were down at security.

Virginia

I still am trying to figure out how they can tell it two people in the same room both bring 2 bottles (4 bottles in total), but arrive at the ship at different times? And what if you bring big bottles? Still 2?

Mark

Totally happened. We had the wine in one checked suitcase, along with clothes. That one suitcase didn't arrive to our cabin when the other did, but we just assumed it would arrive later (occasionally we don't get all our suitcases at once). Anyway, shortly thereafter we were notified to call the Purser's Desk, and when we did, we were told that particular suitcase would arrive shortly, however, our wine had all been removed because we exceeded the limit of 2 bottles/cabin. I explained to the woman that we had 5 Sky Suites booked and we didn't exceed the per cabin allotment. She said it was too late, because the wine had been removed from our suitcase (without our witnessing it) in Miami before we sailed and there was nothing they could do about it now. She said our wine could be retrieved once we returned to Miami. After the cruise, we did get our wine, however, it had been removed from the protective bubble wine bags we had purchased (at a cost of $5/bottle) and we had no way of transporting the wine back home since we were flying and afraid to put it in suitcases with no protection. We were pretty upset that all the wine bags had been removed and (supposedly) thrown out. We wound up handing out wine to anybody in our vicinity that didn't have to fly.

The box of wine was another cruise.

We just haven't had much luck with wine, I guess.

Jo-Ann

I sure hope you followed up with Celebrity on this whole fiasco! This is not the way suitcases and potential "illegal" bottles are handled. As the other poster said, there is a "round up" room.

I still am trying to figure out how they can tell it two people in the same room both bring 2 bottles (4 bottles in total), but arrive at the ship at different times? And what if you bring big bottles? Still 2?

Mark

I am wondering the same thing. When you go through security before getting on the ship (Solstice in this case), is there more than one line? I was thinking I would carry on two bottles and my husband would take two also but have him in a different security line?

It seems like I would also be able to put two bottles in one suitcase as well. How closely do they look at the luggage tags if I wanted to get two more bottles in another suitcase? Total: 8 bottles.

I put this in another thread before I saw this more appropriate one for my question.

First off, not planning on sneaking alcohol in--I've ordered and paid for a bottle of scotch for the room through Celebrity-- but my daughter and I do want to take on our "legal" 2 bottles of wine.

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of our cruise and taking a cab directly to the port (btw, is this the best way?); my question is this: is there a wine/liquor store at the port where we can purchase our wine or do we need to get the cab to stop somewhere before the port?

Also, does the size matter? We're hoping to be able to take the big bottles.

Also, does the size matter? We're hoping to be able to take the big bottles.

The terms specifically say 2 bottles. It does not state size.

Anyways, I already know how I am sneaking on alcohol... easily for that matter, but I am not sharing it publicly on the board. No it's not rum runners.

The terms specifically say 2 bottles. It does not state size.

Anyways, I already know how I am sneaking on alcohol... easily for that matter, but I am not sharing it publicly on the board. No it's not rum runners.

Thank you for NOT sharing (and I mean that sincerely!). The countless "gee, this is how I did it" threads are counter-productive. Have a great cruise and enjoy your drinks!

you carry on 2 bottles, let others walk on and then let spouse carry on 2 bottles.

NO PROBLEM. We always bring on 4 regular size bottles of white zinfindel

Ok I dont get this....isnt your paperwork all in page? At least that is how it is in RCI....dont understand how you can walk in separately, and if you can wouldnt they remember your cabin number?

Ok I dont get this....isnt your paperwork all in page? At least that is how it is in RCI....dont understand how you can walk in separately, and if you can wouldnt they remember your cabin number?

When you arrive at the port, they will have 4-5 X-Ray machines operated by the port security people -- they are not Celebrity people, and they don't ask you for any paperwork. They're basically looking for weapons and the like. Go thru separate lines with 2 bottles of wine each.

After you go thru security, you check in with Celebrity. This is when the "don't ask, don't tell" rule applies with regard to whether or not you have wine or booze, or the like in your carry on. You won't be searched again during your check in and boarding of the ship.

If you happen to have 2 bottles of wine in your checked luggage and are asked to go down to the "naughty room" to pick up, just tell them that is your 2 bottles of wine allowance.

• 1 month later...

We took Scotch on board in a rum runner flask with no problems on the Solstice last November. When we were in Santorini, we carried a box of wine on board in our Celebrity tote bag and it went through Celebrity's scanner with no problem.

has anyone been in fort lauderdale , or on the solstice this year? I have questions about bringing on wine bottles, or the box and if you were successful .. Iam planning on bring on my bota box in may would like some RECENT advice..

Archived