Bangkok to Beijing April 14, 2010

dwmcelroy

We're on the Diamond Princess Bangkok to Beijing on April 14 with a few days in Bangkok ahead of the cruise. What are the best ports for shopping (Bangkok, Singapore, Saigon, Honk Kong, Shanghai?) Although charge cards are used everywhere, should we use USD or local currencies for best deals?

Any other useful tips?

Thanks.

PACERPOP

We were in Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City last month. In the first, most places took US$, but not all. Many that did take $ gave change in Thai Baht.

In HCM, US$ was accepted everywhere. Most gave change in US$, but some gave Dong.

We're on the Diamond Princess Bangkok to Beijing on April 14 with a few days in Bangkok ahead of the cruise. What are the best ports for shopping (Bangkok, Singapore, Saigon, Honk Kong, Shanghai?) Although charge cards are used everywhere, should we use USD or local currencies for best deals?

Any other useful tips?

Thanks.

PACERPOP

Bangkok or Honk (:D) Kong for regular shopping. Don't be afraid to barter even in the most unlikely or up-market shops.

Saigon is very cheap for souvenir-type purchases (Ben Thanh covered market, city centre) but choice & quality issues for more expensive purchases in Saigon.

Don't know Singapore, shopping here may avoid a strain on your limited time elsewhere.

Local currency everywhere is likely to get you a better deal, even entry into museums in Saigon, though credit cards are probably a better bet for expensive items. Don't leave Vietnam with stax of local currency, you'll have great difficulty exchanging it elsewhere

JB

I just came back from a Asia cruise (silversea) and am a shopping spree. Hong Kong is a great place to shop for electronics, clothings and gadgets. No tax at all. My private guide took me to a place (somewhere called monkkok?) where there were many stalls selling cheap stuffs - watches, shoes, accessories, clothes, you name it. It's very fun to stroll around and made lots of good bargains. I bought a pair of pearl earring, it's a great bargain.

Bangkok is a good place to shop for spa stuffs, thai silk and small home doecorations. There was a market in Ho Chi Mihn City too where you can find Vietnamese clothings and handbags, quite cute though.

These places do not take credit card and only local currency. Vietnam takes USD but not in HK and Singapore though. The exchange rate is much better in the local bank. Remember to bargain and have the tour guide to help you! Good luck.

I just came back from a Asia cruise (silversea) and am a shopping spree. Hong Kong is a great place to shop for electronics, clothings and gadgets. No tax at all. My private guide took me to a place (somewhere called monkkok?) where there were many stalls selling cheap stuffs - watches, shoes, accessories, clothes, you name it. It's very fun to stroll around and made lots of good bargains. I bought a pair of pearl earring, it's a great bargain.

Bangkok is a good place to shop for spa stuffs, thai silk and small home doecorations. There was a market in Ho Chi Mihn City too where you can find Vietnamese clothings and handbags, quite cute though.

These places do not take credit card and only local currency. Vietnam takes USD but not in HK and Singapore though. The exchange rate is much better in the local bank. Remember to bargain and have the tour guide to help you! Good luck.

What about using ATM's ??

All the cities you mentioned are great for shopping with really high-end stuff available in Singapore and Hong Kong.. ATM's are available in all the cities, just don't get too much of any one local currency as it's hard to convert back to US$. But do remember to barter, the store clerks expect it.

Don't get ripped off by the hand made clothes emporiums especially in Bangkok by paying outrageous prices, know what you are buying, and then barter-barter-barter. And obviously the tuk-tuk drivers get a cut for taking you to a particular store, but remember they need to make a living also.

SAS

Archived