Southampton Ibis Hotel vs. Etap

RSVE821

I currently am booked in a room for two for a one night pre-cruise stay at the Ibis for 75 GBP in June. I now see that the Etap next door has a room for 37 GBP. I realize the Etap is really basic from what I've read but is the Ibis that much better to pay double for?

I currently am booked in a room for two for a one night pre-cruise stay at the Ibis for 75 GBP in June. I now see that the Etap next door has a room for 37 GBP. I realize the Etap is really basic from what I've read but is the Ibis that much better to pay double for?

Hi,

It depends on what you want/need from a hotel. I don't know the ones in Southampton but the chain are identical everywhere. Etap has no 24 reception, basic rooms, bedding mattresses, nobody "onsite" and certainly no food. This sounds dire but literally across the car park (thiry paces usually) you have a manned reception desk, bar, restaurant, cyber cafe and breakfast facilties. You will even check in for your Etap room at the IBIS in most places!!

For my money I'd stay in the ETAP every time and walk across the car park for your mod-cons. It depends on whether you're happy to stay in a budget hotel, but the IBIS isn't luxurious at any rate. If you want something basic have you tried a Travelodge??

hope this is helpful

Hannah

Hi,

It depends on what you want/need from a hotel. I don't know the ones in Southampton but the chain are identical everywhere. Etap has no 24 reception, basic rooms, bedding mattresses, nobody "onsite" and certainly no food. This sounds dire but literally across the car park (thiry paces usually) you have a manned reception desk, bar, restaurant, cyber cafe and breakfast facilties. You will even check in for your Etap room at the IBIS in most places!!

For my money I'd stay in the ETAP every time and walk across the car park for your mod-cons. It depends on whether you're happy to stay in a budget hotel, but the IBIS isn't luxurious at any rate. If you want something basic have you tried a Travelodge??

hope this is helpful

Hannah

A very fair assessment, Hannah, though the local Etap is not highly rated. Check out reviews of both on hotel booking web-sites.

They are very convenient to rail & coach stations, and City & Mayflower cruise terminals.

No Travel-lodge anything like as convenient as Etap/Ibis, and those I've stayed in have no food though always options close by.

JB

Take a look at the photos on the tripadvisor website (scroll down and they're on the right-hand side).

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186299-d1056601-Reviews-Etap_Hotel_Southampton_Centre-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

It seems the shower cubicle and washbasin are right in the bedroom.

Personally I wouldn't stay there if it was free.

Hi

I live in Southampton and have stayed in the Ibis but never the Etap. I would personally go for the Ibis if you can afford it as i have heard that the Etap is not very nice.

However if it is the facilities you are worried about. Both or directly opposite each other with a McDonalds and a TGI Fridays literally 10 paces away.

Then just accross the road is a boots the chemist and a tescos homebase.

Hope this helps

Are both hotels within walking distance of the National Express Station?

Ibis, Etap & Novotel are next to each-other, and are just 2 to 3 mins across the flat carpark to Southampton Coach Station, even closer to Southampton Central Rail Station.

JB

Thanks everyone for your input. Based on your input, reviews and pics on other sites, I think the extra cost for one night at the Ibis seems to be worth it for us based on our comfort level. Not putting down Etap, it appears serves it's market well. Thanks, again.

Archived