From Port to Seatac

Giantfan13

We are on the August 22 Pearl cruise to Alaska. We have tentatively booked an 11:30 AM flight out of Seatac on the 29th, the day the ship gets back to port. Are we going to have any trouble making this flight?? How long will it take to get to the airport from the pier?? And about how much is a cab going to cost us??

Thanks for all help

Cheers

Len

August 29th is a Sunday (less traffic), and you have two additional cruise ships coming into port that day with you (more traffic). The Pearl docks at pier 66, so allow about 20-30 minutes to get to the airport. I would budget around $40 for a taxi. Although I live just outside Seattle, here's where I get all my info:

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/

I think you can make an 11:30 am flight, but if you have an option to leave in the early afternoon, I would recommend that.

August 29th is a Sunday (less traffic), and you have two additional cruise ships coming into port that day with you (more traffic). The Pearl docks at pier 66, so allow about 20-30 minutes to get to the airport. I would budget around $40 for a taxi. Although I live just outside Seattle, here's where I get all my info:

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/

I think you can make an 11:30 am flight, but if you have an option to leave in the early afternoon, I would recommend that.

Is Pier 91 also about 30 minutes from SeaTac? I have a noon flight.

Is Pier 91 also about 30 minutes from SeaTac? I have a noon flight.

It's a bit further north, so maybe 30-40 minutes, tops. It depends on traffic. Noon flight should be fine. I would say try to be off the ship by 9 am.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means. I live near Seattle, and have taken passengers to and from Pier 91 and the airport. That is the sole basis of my knowledge and experience. Well, I've also taken a cruise or two departing from Piers 66 and 91. The variables include day of week, number of ships in port, and any delays with customs, luggage, or security at the airport. The site I've linked above has a complete cruise ship schedule for summer of 2010, so you can anticipate how many ships will be in port with you. Bon Voyage!)

I've just thought of another traffic variable: the Seattle Mariners. If they're playing a home game, please factor in some extra time getting to/from the ship/airport. They play at Safeco Field, well south of the cruise ship terminals, and you won't encounter the congestion there used to be when Terminal 30 was the departure point, but there will be extra traffic in town.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sea&m=4&y=2010

I've just thought of another traffic variable: the Seattle Mariners. If they're playing a home game, please factor in some extra time getting to/from the ship/airport. They play at Safeco Field, well south of the cruise ship terminals, and you won't encounter the congestion there used to be when Terminal 30 was the departure point, but there will be extra traffic in town.

Don't forget the Sounders, unless the MLS strike happens, and the Seahawks from August on. Same story.

Thanks for the link to their schedule. My flight is May 31st and their home game isn't until the evening.

I'm hoping that since I'm flying out on Memorial Day maybe a lot of the businesses will be closed, therefore cutting traffic in town a bit. I discussed timing with the lady at Already There town cars when I booked their service yesterday and, as you said, she sees no problem in getting us there in plenty of time for a noon flight since we should be off the ship by 9am or 9:30am at the latest.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be concerned but I've been told that security lines at SeaTac are really long, especially when cruise ships disembark.

Thanks for the link to their schedule. My flight is May 31st and their home game isn't until the evening.

I'm hoping that since I'm flying out on Memorial Day maybe a lot of the businesses will be closed, therefore cutting traffic in town a bit. I discussed timing with the lady at Already There town cars when I booked their service yesterday and, as you said, she sees no problem in getting us there in plenty of time for a noon flight since we should be off the ship by 9am or 9:30am at the latest.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be concerned but I've been told that security lines at SeaTac are really long, especially when cruise ships disembark.

Well, you'll have the FolkLife Festival at Seattle Center in Queen Anne that weekend, but if you're off the ship and heading to the airport at the time you mention, you should be OK. Just keep it in mind. Always something going on here when the weather's good:)

http://www.nwfolklife.org/festival

Other than banks, post office, other government offices, everyone will be open that day (of course I'm just cranky because both DD and I have to work and I wanted to go on a picnic, but, oh well, what can ya do), but you won't be traveling during traditional rush hour, so that is a point in your favor.

Well, you'll have the FolkLife Festival at Seattle Center in Queen Anne that weekend, but if you're off the ship and heading to the airport at the time you mention, you should be OK. Just keep it in mind. Always something going on here when the weather's good:)

http://www.nwfolklife.org/festival

Yeah, I talked to the lady at Already There about the Festival. Neither she nor some CC folks on another thread thought that would cause a problem since the festival is at a venue not on our route.

• 2 weeks later...

The only feasible flight we can get is at 11:25 am. Our ship supposedly docks at 7 a.m. on August 28 (it's a Saturday--yes, Mariners game, but at 1 p.m.) There is a total of three ships at pier 91 that day. Wadda ya think?

The only feasible flight we can get is at 11:25 am. Our ship supposedly docks at 7 a.m. on August 28 (it's a Saturday--yes, Mariners game, but at 1 p.m.) There is a total of three ships at pier 91 that day. Wadda ya think?

IF the ship docks on time ...

and IF the Customs clear the ship as fast as they usually do ...

and IF the baggage is properly placed and you can find yours, or you self disembark and have your bags with you ...

and IF the normal number of taxis are available ...

and IF there are no traffic problems...

and IF the security at the airport is functioning smoothly ...

and IF you are fit and healthy and can run through the airport at the last minute if needed ...

then you can probably make an 11:25 flight.

BUT -- you are rushing all the way and a small glitch anywhere along the way and you have a problem. When you travel, stuff happens. Have a Plan B available.

Have a GREAT cruise!

There are usually taxis available and porters available.

BUT -- it is soooooo much nicer to see a limo driver holding up a sign with your name on it, grabbing your bags, taking care of you all the way, and whisking you to the airport. Prices for a town car are not much more than a taxi. And for a group of four or more, a stretch limo is also a luxury way to go at a reasonable price!

We use Metropolitan Town Cars in Seattle and get great service from them.

There are usually taxis available and porters available.

BUT -- it is soooooo much nicer to see a limo driver holding up a sign with your name on it, grabbing your bags, taking care of you all the way, and whisking you to the airport. Prices for a town car are not much more than a taxi ....

I agree. That is why there will be an Already There town car waiting for us.

You guys are better off than we are. Our flight departs at 10:45am out of SEA. We will be docking at Pier 91 with one other ship that day according to the schedule.

We don't have any other choices as far as later flights, we are booked on the latest one and we can't stay another night. We're just praying we are off the ship by 8am (we know we will have to take our luggage off oursleves) and grab a van taxi (there are 4 adults and 8 pieces of luggage). It's a Sat so hopefully not too much traffic. We'll be thinking positive thoughts!

You guys are better off than we are. Our flight departs at 10:45am out of SEA. We will be docking at Pier 91 with one other ship that day according to the schedule.

We don't have any other choices as far as later flights, we are booked on the latest one and we can't stay another night. We're just praying we are off the ship by 8am (we know we will have to take our luggage off oursleves) and grab a van taxi (there are 4 adults and 8 pieces of luggage). It's a Sat so hopefully not too much traffic. We'll be thinking positive thoughts!

Rather than depending on a van taxi being available, if I were you I'd reserve a van from one of the limo companies or shuttle companies.

There are several mentioned in some of the threads on CC's Homeport/West Coast Departures board.

Rather than depending on a van taxi being available, if I were you I'd reserve a van from one of the limo companies or shuttle companies.

There are several mentioned in some of the threads on CC's Homeport/West Coast Departures board.

I will check into that. Thank you for than info. :-)

Hey, thanks to all of you. That is definitely what we will do--get a town car from Metropolitan or Already There. You're so right--getting off with a sign for you and knowing it's all arranged will increase our chanced of getting that flight. It's at 11:40, not 11:25, so that helps (hey, 15 minutes is 15 minutes!). But having that pre-arranged transportation will hopefully be the ticket. I really appreciate all your help--thanks again!!

IF the ship docks on time ...

and IF the Customs clear the ship as fast as they usually do ...

and IF the baggage is properly placed and you can find yours, or you self disembark and have your bags with you ...

and IF the normal number of taxis are available ...

and IF there are no traffic problems...

and IF the security at the airport is functioning smoothly ...

and IF you are fit and healthy and can run through the airport at the last minute if needed ...

then you can probably make an 11:25 flight.

Man with all of the potential gliches, I'd be so stressed out. This reminds me of my mother warning that I'd put my eye out if I weren't careful...plus 5 other dreaded consequences from playing with the rubber band.

Boy, am I glad we are able to stay an extra night in Seattle. ;)

We are on the August 22 Pearl cruise to Alaska. We have tentatively booked an 11:30 AM flight out of Seatac, the day the ship gets back to port. Are we going to have any trouble making this flight?? How long will it take to get to the airport from the pier?? And about how much is a cab going to cost us??

Thanks for all help

Cheers

Len

We have a 11:55am flight out the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, Sept 5..from pier 66. so we are hopeful that we will have no issues either. How soon would a recommendation would be to reserve a town car? I would probably reserve them round trip from the airport to the port then from the port to the airport. Are they all pretty much the same>

Archived