Port Authority to NY Pier (for NCL Gem)?? Best way?

moopdog

We're arriving by bus to Port Authority between 10:45 and 11:15 on our departure day, Sat 3/20.

There are 4 of us and we'll have our luggage of course. What's the cheapest/quickest/easiest way for us to get from PA to the pier. And if we take a cab, will I need actual directions or will they know which pier I want (I'm not even sure actually)?

Anyone know about how long the trip will be and how much$$?? Thanks for the info.

We're arriving by bus to Port Authority between 10:45 and 11:15 on our departure day, Sat 3/20.

There are 4 of us and we'll have our luggage of course. What's the cheapest/quickest/easiest way for us to get from PA to the pier. And if we take a cab, will I need actual directions or will they know which pier I want (I'm not even sure actually)?

Anyone know about how long the trip will be and how much$$?? Thanks for the info.

It is a five minute cab ride from the Port Authority to the Manhattan cruise terminal and your cabbie will know how to get you there.

Your best bet is to take a cab, it will cost you around $10. It will be a quick ride on a Saturday morning, the traffic will not be bad, the total distance is about a mile.

The cab driver will know exactly where to go just specify the Manhattan Cruise Pier, you will see the ship towering over the terminal as you get close, that's always very exciting.

Have a great voyage.

Jonathan

Your best bet is to take a cab, it will cost you around $10. It will be a quick ride on a Saturday morning, the traffic will not be bad, the total distance is about a mile.

The cab driver will know exactly where to go just specify the Manhattan Cruise Pier, you will see the ship towering over the terminal as you get close, that's always very exciting.

Have a great voyage.

Jonathan

Hey...haven't talked to you for awhile...how are things? We're going to NYC in July for a little visit to see the sights

Have a great voyage.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Would you know if they have handicap accessible cabs to bring you to the pier and is the cost the same?

Thanks for any info

Hey...haven't talked to you for awhile...how are things? We're going to NYC in July for a little visit to see the sights

Hi Alicam,

Great to hear from you. You will have a blast here in New York, if you have any questions on places to visit or where to go drop me a line, I've lived here all my life and happy to answer any questions. jpptrs@aol.com

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Would you know if they have handicap accessible cabs to bring you to the pier and is the cost the same?

Thanks for any info

Hi Cindy,

I googled this information. Apparently, you can dial 311 on your phone and request a special handicap accessible cab to pick you up. They are metered exactly the same as regular rates and will charge you the same amount to the Manhattan Pier or wherever else you would like to venture.

Here's a link to the site I found the information:

http://caradvice.askpatty.com/ask_patty_/2009/01/accessible-taxi-service-for-wheelchair-users-in-new-york-city.html

Good Luck and have a great cruise!

Jonathan

There are handicap accessible cabs, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get one. Maybe you can log onto NYC taxi and limousine commission to find out.

If you're on a Princess cruise, your port is probably Brooklyn, rather than Manhattan, so you will need to know that.

A cab is the best way to go, and isn't far at all. All cab drivers in NY will know how to get to the pier. There are only 2 or 3 piers that they will leave from in NYC and they are right next to each other. You will see the ship, so he/she will know where to let you off, besides, upon arrival at the pier, someone will usually direct them where to drop off.

Hopefully, you will all spend time in NY, it's a great city. Shame just to come in for the day and leave.

I recommend you stay on deck for the sailaway. I'm a New Yorker, and never tire of the skyline. Wait all the way until you are past the city and go under the Verazzano Bridge, it's way too cool

There are handicap accessible cabs, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get one. Maybe you can log onto NYC taxi and limousine commission to find out.

If you're on a Princess cruise, your port is probably Brooklyn, rather than Manhattan, so you will need to know that.

A cab is the best way to go, and isn't far at all. All cab drivers in NY will know how to get to the pier. There are only 2 or 3 piers that they will leave from in NYC and they are right next to each other. You will see the ship, so he/she will know where to let you off, besides, upon arrival at the pier, someone will usually direct them where to drop off.

Hopefully, you will all spend time in NY, it's a great city. Shame just to come in for the day and leave.

I recommend you stay on deck for the sailaway. I'm a New Yorker, and never tire of the skyline. Wait all the way until you are past the city and go under the Verazzano Bridge, it's way too cool

Information on ordering a handicapped accessible taxi was provided a week ago two posts prior to yours.

All cab drivers in NY will know how to get to the pier. There are only 2 or 3 piers that they will leave from in NYC and they are right next to each other. You will see the ship, so he/she will know where to let you off, besides, upon arrival at the pier, someone will usually direct them where to drop off.

please remember there are two cruise terminals in NYC. The Manhattan cruise terminal has three piers with only one motor entrance on 55th street and 12th avenue. The Gem does leave from Manhattan. 4 people with luggage and a wheel chair will not fit into one cab handicapped or not. Almost every cab will be able to take two people luggage and a wheel chair except for a few cabs that use natural gas as fuel and have no trunk space(that is where the natural gas tank is). About 25% of the cabs are now minivan type and can take a wheelchair and luggage easily but not 4 people with cruise luggage. Most cars will not be able to take 4 people with cruise luggage with or without a wheel chair.

The fare from the Bus terminal is $10 or so per cab(metered)... the bus terminal is at 41 street and eight avenue. so the cruise terminal is not far(the Gem normally leaves from pier 88 which is at 48th street and 12th avenue but again there is only one motor entrance to all the piers at 55th street)

walking its about 3/4 of a mile. Its safe to walk but I would take a cab.

The Brooklyn Cruise terminal is in Brooklyn and princess and Cunard leave from there. Its about a $30 cab ride to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal from the Port Authority Bus terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived