Here's why my RCI reservation got booked through a Tenn. travel agency

Hello again -

I posted the question earlier this week about how my reservation on what I thought was the RCI website ended up being confirmed with a travel agency in Tennessee. I thought it was strange and posted the issue here as to what happened. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best deal. I got many replies trying to help me answer the question. Some of you offered suggestions about what happened and others asked me to post the solution if I found out. Since my original post is now gone, I'm posting this answer in the interest of helping others.

There appeared to be nothing nefarious about what happened. I had a very helpful conversation with the travel agency in Tennessee. They were concerned about this too as it's not supposed to happen that way. They were very thorough about going over how I got to the site and what the reply looked like and were as puzzled as I was - and many of you - as to how that could have taken place. As near as we can figure, I must have - at sometime in the past - clicked on a link from one of several travel e-mails that I receive that somehow embedded a cookie that caused it to happen. Several of you had suggested this (and the solution to such issues - flushing your cache history periodically).

Anyway, I'm only posting this for information purposes should anyone else ever have something like this happen.

We're happily looking forward to our cruise in May, using the same reservation that initially caused this query.

Thanks to all who replied, and happy cruising.

Patrick

Thanks for the explanation!

My son is always getting on me that I am not "deleting my cookies" often enough!!:o

If you use the Firefox browser, you can configure it to delete your cookies automatically, every time you exit the browser.

Hello again -

I posted the question earlier this week about how my reservation on what I thought was the RCI website ended up being confirmed with a travel agency in Tennessee. I thought it was strange and posted the issue here as to what happened. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best deal. I got many replies trying to help me answer the question. Some of you offered suggestions about what happened and others asked me to post the solution if I found out. Since my original post is now gone, I'm posting this answer in the interest of helping others.

There appeared to be nothing nefarious about what happened. I had a very helpful conversation with the travel agency in Tennessee. They were concerned about this too as it's not supposed to happen that way. They were very thorough about going over how I got to the site and what the reply looked like and were as puzzled as I was - and many of you - as to how that could have taken place. As near as we can figure, I must have - at sometime in the past - clicked on a link from one of several travel e-mails that I receive that somehow embedded a cookie that caused it to happen. Several of you had suggested this (and the solution to such issues - flushing your cache history periodically).

Anyway, I'm only posting this for information purposes should anyone else ever have something like this happen.

We're happily looking forward to our cruise in May, using the same reservation that initially caused this query.

Thanks to all who replied, and happy cruising.

Patrick

Well, that sounds logical. I'm glad you are moving foreword with the cruise booked as it is....happy cruising to you, hope you have a wonderful time!

Archived