A little nervous about A1 cabin

netizen2

Hello everyone!

To save money on our 'girl's cruise' we have each booked A1's in the very front, on deck 2 on the Destiny. This 'inside' cabin has two portholes....

I'm not too worried about the movement, which I'm sure will be bad, but I'm more worried about seeing the water near my porthole...

Will water come up that high? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the thoughts of looking out the porthole and seeing water covering it, freaks me out.... Maybe I will just keep the curtains closed?

Any help would be appreciated....

Kathy

Thanks for your quick replies! It's my first cruise without my hubby.... I'm sure I wouldn't be scared if he was there with me!

And Don.... it's weird... I saw the 1111 on your avatar..... I have seen that number SO many times.... alarm clock, cell phone, etc.... Hope that's a good sign!!

Thanks!

We were in rough seas in that class of cabin on a cruise. There was some motion but I found it great to sleep with, it was like being rocked to sleep. I don't have a problem with motion sickness but if you do or think you might bring seasick meds with you-just in case. The natural light and view make this cabin great for a bargain cabin.

Good for you going for the bargain. We've done porthole cabins several times and really enjoyed them. I didn't see anyone mention the anchor dropping when you dock, so be warned it can be loud. We also found the hallway nice and quiet in the forward area because the only people up there are the ones with cabins there.

Have a great time.

Oh, my!! That would really scare me.... you may think this is weird, but I have a fear of drowning, I can't swim (I'm 57!) but I love to cruise....

We usually get balcony rooms, and at night I can't sit out in the dark on the balcony.. only during the day... I know, I'm weird! But the thoughts of waves slapping at my porthole scares me!

I was recently in a 1A cabin on the Valor - 1211 - rignt in front on Riviera and I loved it! Not that much motion (but the seas were not too bad except for the 1st night out of miami.

Check link below for my review and you will see some FABULOUS pics of this type of cabin!

Froufie! You are right, they are fabulous pics! Thanks! Not scary looking at all.. LOL!

It is such a great bargain too.... All three girls wanted our own cabins and I was worried about the cost (since my husband and I have a 13 day cruise the month before) but the price was great for the A1.... I even found a $45 price drop and Carnival honored it!

Thanks everyone for all your comments... I feel much better now... Now, if I could just learn to swim!

I love cruisecritic! I don't post often, but I read it every day!! So many wonderful people and tips!!

Good for you going for the bargain. We've done porthole cabins several times and really enjoyed them. I didn't see anyone mention the anchor dropping when you dock, so be warned it can be loud. We also found the hallway nice and quiet in the forward area because the only people up there are the ones with cabins there.

Have a great time.

If you are "docking", you wont hear the anchor drop because you are TIED to the pier.

The anchor is only used in some tender ports or if control of the ship is lost.

Dave

It depends on how high your cabin is and how rough the water is. We were on the last sailing of the Holiday when this lady came out of her M2 cabin. She was about to freak out thinking that the ship was coming apart because of the creaking and the waves/spray going past the portholes.

My wife calmed her down and had her go to the couches by the Guest Services desk which is nearer to the middle. It was her first cruise. We checked on her an hour later and she was fast asleep on the couch. We go back to our cabin and my wife gets up in the window and is going OOHH AAGH as the bow spray goes flying past.

Dave

I was recently in a 1A cabin on the Valor - 1211 - rignt in front on Riviera and I loved it! Not that much motion (but the seas were not too bad except for the 1st night out of miami.

Check link below for my review and you will see some FABULOUS pics of this type of cabin!

Noticed in reading your review that your friend in 1212 had the sound of the anchor.

Are the anchors always on the port side?

I was on the same sailing as jetskier. I was on Riviera, with a 1A porthole. On that night, the water was splashing against the porthole. I thought it was so cool to see that, but the movement did make me a little sick. This doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. Just keep the drapes closed if it starts getting rocky. It's nothing to worry about. The ships are built to withstand much bigger waves than anything you'll run into, and the water won't splash through the porthole.

Noticed in reading your review that your friend in 1212 had the sound of the anchor.

The anchors are located on both sides of the ship. What a lot of folks mistake for the anchor being released is the sound of the bow thrusters.

Dave

According to my 'research' most individuals on the port side, forward seem to be complaining about the anchor noise (in tender ports only)....and in my case this was again correct. While I heard no such loud noises, friend report a train going thru his cabin when the anchor was dropped!

If you are "docking", you wont hear the anchor drop because you are TIED to the pier.

The anchor is only used in some tender ports or if control of the ship is lost.

Dave

Yeah, it was HMC when I head the anchor.

• 3 years later...

I hope you don't mind me 'barging in' on this thread but I have a question on these cabins (A1). I am booking a very similar one on Costa new ship (which is identical to Carnival Breeze). I noticed that the theater stage is more or less on top of the cabin (2014). Does anyone who traveled on those cabins noticed noise coming from the theater?

I also agree that sometimes the bow thruster can be quite noisy but dropping the anchor and also the cable machines when the ship is docking I feel would be noisier.

Thanks

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the thoughts of looking out the porthole and seeing water covering it, freaks me out.... Maybe I will just keep the curtains closed?

The most you'll likely see are drops of water on your window.

Waves temporarily covering the porthole is nothing to be concerned about, if that happens. Just enjoy the ride...

If you look out and you're consistently under water for a long period of time... maybe seeing fish swim by, like it's an aquarium... then you have every reason to "freak out" :eek: I personally would grab my life vest and head to a higher deck. :D

We had water washing our port hole on Ecstasy so people saying the water will for sure not be that high are assuming you dont hit large waves. We had waves over 25 ft and they were high enough to cover Riveria deck port holes, not sure if they would have reached Main or not, but close.

barf bags at the elevators time.

Archived