Portside or not ? Quick responce needed

Sunnyday2010

I am booked on the Dream, after reading these boards it says try to get a Portside room.I looked into it & found that I can change to a Portside if I want no charge. Only thing is it is a connecting stateroom so there will be an extra door inside your cabin connecting it to that other room.

Should I change ? I really would like to see the Ports when we come in & out. I will not be in my room when we are in port, I will be exploring. My Travel agent says that sometimes they dont even dock on the port side ?

Your travel agent is correct. Port merely refers to the left side of the ship - not necessarily the side facing the port when the ship docs - so it's really a gamble on which side of the ship you choose. I would pick the cabin I want in a good location (e.g. between passenger decks, away from elevators and not above/below any public areas) and would not be as concerned regarding which side of the ship I am on!

One of the carnival pvp's told me that they did dock port side. I have only been on 2 carnival ships and was port side. I know on the Conquest (western carib) it was def beneficial to be on that side.(SIL) was on the other side and they would come to our balcony when we sailed away, mostly because of the sun.

You are right I am over planning, I tend to do that ! :D LOL I am not changing... Just I am a photographer & have heard you get a much better view on the Portside, never been on a cruise so I just didn't know ? I thought it always docked on the Portside & alot of people say to get the Portside.... I am not changing.... the location on the ship is better Portside or not.

Thank you for commenting ! :cool:

The only thing you might be concerned about is cigarette smoke, I say this because it's what I'M concerned about :) I don't know which is port/starboard... but the even numbers (i.e. 1052) are non-smoking and the odd (1053) are supposedly smoking rooms. The even side can't accomodate my family of 5 and so we've booked 1053 this time since we'll have our youngest. We stayed in 1052 last time and loved the layout and location on Panorama, I'm hoping this one (1053) doesn't smell like an ashtray.

The only thing you might be concerned about is cigarette smoke, I say this because it's what I'M concerned about :) I don't know which is port/starboard... but the even numbers (i.e. 1052) are non-smoking and the odd (1053) are supposedly smoking rooms. The even side can't accomodate my family of 5 and so we've booked 1053 this time since we'll have our youngest. We stayed in 1052 last time and loved the layout and location on Panorama, I'm hoping this one (1053) doesn't smell like an ashtray.

My understanding is that you can smoke in ANY stateroom, EXCEPT for the Spa rooms.

I *think* the outside smoking area is on the starboard side though...

The spa rooms are the only NON-Smoking cabins.

My understanding is that you can smoke in ANY stateroom, EXCEPT for the Spa rooms.

I *think* the outside smoking area is on the starboard side though...[/quote]

Actually, that has always been the case for me, EXCEPT for the Dream, where portside is the smoking side for the outdoor areas on Lido and Promenade...

it was like Alice through the Looking Glass the first days, all turned around:eek::p

To the OP, it changes with conditions, so either side you book may or may not be the dockside view. Most ports however, have a wonderful vista on all sides IMO....

I am booked on the Dream, after reading these boards it says try to get a Portside room.I looked into it & found that I can change to a Portside if I want no charge. Only thing is it is a connecting stateroom so there will be an extra door inside your cabin connecting it to that other room.

Should I change ? I really would like to see the Ports when we come in & out. I will not be in my room when we are in port, I will be exploring. My Travel agent says that sometimes they dont even dock on the port side ?

The wife and I took a 7 day, 5 island trip Feb 10 on The Caribbean Princess out of San Juan. Our cabin was on the Port (left) side. Counting San Juan we were on the side toward the island 3 of the six times. No real way to say in advance which side of the ship will be the island side.icon12.gif

One of the carnival pvp's told me that they did dock port side. I have only been on 2 carnival ships and was port side. I know on the Conquest (western carib) it was def beneficial to be on that side.(SIL) was on the other side and they would come to our balcony when we sailed away, mostly because of the sun.

I've been on the Conquest 4 times and port side seems to be the side towards the port in Mobay and Cozumel more often than not, but NOT ALWAYS and rarely when docked in Galveston. It doesn't matter in GC.

Thank you for all your comments. I kept my room the same & nam hoping for the best, whatever the case it will be fine ;0)

I am concerned with smoking & I also considered that when choosing a room however my Agent said "There is no smoking on the balconies no matter where you are placed on the ship"

I *think* the outside smoking area is on the starboard side though...

This is correct on the cabins.

On the Dream they pulled a switch and smoking on deck is on the port side....

Thank you for all your comments. I kept my room the same & nam hoping for the best, whatever the case it will be fine ;0)

I am concerned with smoking & I also considered that when choosing a room however my Agent said "There is no smoking on the balconies no matter where you are placed on the ship"

I don't think that is true either.

I've been on the Conquest 4 times and port side seems to be the side towards the port in Mobay and Cozumel more often than not, but NOT ALWAYS and rarely when docked in Galveston. It doesn't matter in GC.

I was in a starboard cabin on the Conquest last week and faced the water in Mobay. In Coz, again I saw mostly water (looking south), but had I been portside, the only thing I would have had to look at was the Valor :D

Your agent is incorrect. All Carnival balconies are smoking except the spa balconies and their cabins. These cabins are only on the Splendor, Dream and the Magic....

It depends on what the Captain decides to do when he gets there. The Captain on the Inspiration said if they have to leave early he'll "back" in with starboard side to the island. Every time I've been it's port side to the island.

Best part is in Cozumel being on your balcony and watching the late runners. One of my favorite excursions!

Archived