Jumping Ship...so to speak

CruiseLover824

I just booked my 1st Norwegian cruise this week!! I have sailed on Carnival 3 times, and my 4th Carnival cruise is in a few weeks. My friends and I couldn't pass up the great price and 1/2 off deposits that NCL was offering for the Norwegian Star cruise to the Mexican Riviera.

We are excited to try out another cruiseline! :D

I just booked my 1st Norwegian cruise this week!! I have sailed on Carnival 3 times, and my 4th Carnival cruise is in a few weeks. My friends and I couldn't pass up the great price and 1/2 off deposits that NCL was offering for the Norwegian Star cruise to the Mexican Riviera.

Welcome to NCL, I hope it's everything you expect. :)

The STAR is currently having some construction done on her, while doing her regular itinerary and the deck plans are changing weekly.

Sounds as if you were rather a loyal Carnival fan! You know you like to cruise (especially at spring break apparently), so are taking a chance with a new line.

NCL will be different in that you won't have formal nights or assigned tables for dinner. Keep reading these NCL posts to learn what's what here. Welcome.

I left Carnival and tried NCL and fell in love :)

I sailed that ship/itinerary and LOVED it!!!

The food in the main dining room is not as good as CCl...it really isn't BUT, if you are like us and don't mind paying a little extra to eat in the other dining venues, I can tell you that they are WELL worth the small added expense.

"Small added expense" which can be a hundred dollars a meal for four.

I went from Carnival to NCL and made some comparisons when I first posted here. Someone once dug out that thread for a look.

WELCOME TO NCL~~FREESTYLE...RELAX and ENJOY:)

done the MR 3x on the STAR...ONE of MY FAV ships---she will be MISSED when she goes to TAMPA~~

even tho Blue Lagoon has moved and will LOOSE the 'charm' it had, be sure to have the CHICKEN STRIPS/WINGs!!!

Thanks everyone for the welcome!!

The 50% off was for all deposits this past week, so it wasn't a discounted fare exactly....just a discount on how much you had to put down to hold the cabin. I did find the overall fare to be less than that on the Splendor.

I hope that the ship isn't too torn up next year! The lady who took our reservations never mentioned anything about renovations!:eek: If they are doing renovations now, hopefully in a year they will be close to being finished!

flashdog....we are a group of teachers who cruise together. Spring break is the perfect time for us to relax and go cruising! :D

Thanks everyone for the welcome!!

The 50% off was for all deposits this past week, so it wasn't a discounted fare exactly....just a discount on how much you had to put down to hold the cabin. I did find the overall fare to be less than that on the Splendor.

I hope that the ship isn't too torn up next year! The lady who took our reservations never mentioned anything about renovations!:eek: If they are doing renovations now, hopefully in a year they will be close to being finished!

flashdog....we are a group of teachers who cruise together. Spring break is the perfect time for us to relax and go cruising! :D

She'll be donme well brfore your sailing. Drydock usually is only for a couple weeks. On another note, you'll love the victory cruise. She is definitely my favorite CCL ship.

I am trying NCL for the 1st time myself. I know I love them too. PVC guarenteed I would never cruise with another after freestyle.

"Small added expense" which can be a hundred dollars a meal for four.

I went from Carnival to NCL and made some comparisons when I first posted here. Someone once dug out that thread for a look.

Well, you have to see if it's worth it to you or not. I love NCL enough to not mind paying extra for the optional dining venues especially because I enjoy the variety and the food is excellent. And usually when I take an NCL cruise, I've gotten quite a great deal on it, so that added expense usually doesn't put me over on what I would have paid on CCL anyway.

The optional venues on NCL are not pricey. Sometimes you get a 2 for one...ex. Salsa. The reg price is $10pp. We went there twice on a 14 day cruise. The food there was amazing (lobster tacos were awesome and I'm from Maine and enjoyed them). The one night we went, it was two for one, so 2 of us ate there for $10 bucks and it came with one free margarita each.

This is certainly not a hardship....If you have kids, it's the cost of two sodas...

On that trip, we ate at the optional restaurants on 6 nights. The rest of the time, we ate in the main dining room. The food was not as good as CCl's (like I said) but better than RCCL (IMO).

It wasn't bad by any means. I never left hungry that's for sure.

The food was not as good as CCl's (like I said) but better than RCCL (IMO).

It wasn't bad by any means. I never left hungry that's for sure.

We had to walk out of the MDR on RCCL twice on our second cruise with them (all ExOS). It was that bad. It seemed someone was putting this same spice on EVERYTHING. It was UNREAL!

We heard later that that chef was removed, so we tried it a third time. The spice was gone!

I am also trying NCL for the first time. It's over a year away, but I'm excited. I have been on two Carnival cruises and loved them, but I wanted to sail out of Boston to avoid extra costs. The Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda was a great price. I've been reading these boards to find out all I can about the line.

We had to walk out of the MDR on RCCL twice on our second cruise with them (all ExOS). It was that bad. It seemed someone was putting this same spice on EVERYTHING. It was UNREAL!

We heard later that that chef was removed, so we tried it a third time. The spice was gone!

It's weird but we had that happen to us on Celebrity and the spice was cinnamon! For days there was cinnamon ice cream (X makes home made ice cream on board) cinnamon sorbet and cinnamon desserts...all this is fine, though a little boring, but cinnamon belongs on desserts. But then one night at dinner while my DH was eating his entree, he turned to me to tell me he didn't like his potatoes...I tried them.

I was like, "What IS the spice in here??"

It took a second and then it hit us.

CINNAMON!

This was in Nov 2006. I bet that Chef was put off X and sent over to RCCL and that is the chef you wound up with LOL!!

I am also trying NCL for the first time. It's over a year away, but I'm excited. I have been on two Carnival cruises and loved them, but I wanted to sail out of Boston to avoid extra costs. The Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda was a great price. I've been reading these boards to find out all I can about the line.

I believe that the Spirit is the ship that sails out of Boston

I believe they are moving the Dawn to Boston for 2011 and maybe beyond.

:eek: :D :D :D

That would make me VERY happy!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope they are switching it up next year!

Y E S !!

wooooHOOOOOO!!! :D

Archived