Help! Which Alaska 7 day? Round Trip or One Way?

michigan tim

If you are only going for 7 days without extra land days added on, a round trip is cheaper and easier. One way has such a long commute getting into/out of Anchorage. But, if you have the extra time, there is wonderful scenery to see on a land tour that is unique to Alaska. Either way, pick an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. We did a one way for our first Alaskan cruise, so we're choosing HAL, round trip out of Vancouver, for our return because we will see almost as much on the cruise but don't have that awful commute to/from Anchorage.

Thanks for any comments/insight.

There are so many ins and outs about Alaska cruising. It is a complicated subject and every poster on this board probably has an opinion, frequently based on their one and only cruise to Alaska.

For a question like this, you need an expert to give you a broader picture. Absolutely the best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

Once you have considered your broad general questions like this one with professional help, this board can be very useful to help you with specific questions about ship facilities and shore excursions and details like that.

Have a GREAT cruise!

A round trip is no cheaper, but it does have its advantages. A 14 day trip is better than a 7 day, in my opinion because of the paper work, and red tape that most of us have to go through.

On the second half, you can do some of the trips that you heard about on the first 7 days. Now remember shopping, on the first leg, just look, and take notes, on the second half you buy the so called bargains.

If you buy liquor on the first leg, it is delivered to your cabin, at the end of the first cruise, so, you are set for the second half.

The down side is, most if not all of the entertainment is the same, as are the menus. However I can live very happily with both.

Have fun

john

There are so many ins and outs about Alaska cruising. It is a complicated subject and every poster on this board probably has an opinion, frequently based on their one and only cruise to Alaska.

I don't think Alaska cruises are that complicated! Roundtrips are from Vancouver, Seattle, or San Francisco. One-ways are between Vancouver and either Seward or Whittier - unless you're on a one-way repositioning cruise in May or September. If you have only one week for the trip, then a roundtrip cruise is easiest and the flights are less expensive, as Linda mentioned. Once you've settled the roundtrip vs. one-way question - choosing the itinerary and ship is where a travel agent might be helpful. The opinions of people who have cruised, even on only one Alaska cruise, can be helpful, too.

One-way cruises are wonderful, especially when preceded or followed by a land trip in Alaska. I've done two northbound cruises followed by 9-day independent land trips, and I loved them. However, I think it's sad that so many cruisers go straight from the ship to the Anchorage airport, or from the Anchorage airport to the ship for one-ways. My third Alaska cruise in May 2009 was a roundtrip from Seattle, and I booked it because it was so inexpensive. I enjoyed the pre-cruise and post-cruise days in Seattle almost as much as the cruise portion.

Just finished doing my research, if you are flying in from midwest, southwest or east coast I don't think there is much advantage/cost from roundtrip versus one way. One huge advantage of the one ways is that many more do Glacier Bay ( the best glacier ). I found I think only one going roundtrip that does Glacier Bay. If you live in the Northwest and can drive to Seattle the advantages of not adding an additional 400+ dollar one way airfare can be compelling. Also on one ways going north or southbound its easy to add a couple days extra in Seattle, Vancouver or Alaska, IMHO having a few days or adding a land tour can be a big plus for the one ways.

Living in the NW thinking about flying 6 people versus just driving a few hours made the roundtrip the no brainer. I did convince the DW for a balcony which she usually never goes for :D

Thanks for any comments/insight.

One huge advantage of the one ways is that many more do Glacier Bay ( the best glacier ). I found I think only one going roundtrip that does Glacier Bay. If you live in the Northwest and can drive to Seattle the advantages of not adding an additional 400+ dollar one way airfare can be compelling. Also on one ways going north or southbound its easy to add a couple days extra in Seattle, Vancouver or Alaska, IMHO having a few days or adding a land tour can be a big plus for the one ways.

HAL, Princess, and NCL have ships that go to Glacier Bay from Seattle. There aren't that many ships doing roundtrips from Vancouver any more, but HAL's Zuiderdam and Volendam go to Glacier Bay.

HAL, Princess, and NCL have ships that go to Glacier Bay from Seattle. There aren't that many ships doing roundtrips from Vancouver any more, but HAL's Zuiderdam and Volendam go to Glacier Bay.

Took a quick looks, you are right found them, thanks!

Now the DW gets to figure out if she wants to change, dates are as perfect as the one we are doing... We have enjoyed princess, was thinking HAL might be nice too, any thoughts about which of the two my three kids might enjoy better? They are 9, 13, and 15.

Took a quick looks, you are right found them, thanks!

Now the DW gets to figure out if she wants to change, dates are as perfect as the one we are doing... We have enjoyed princess, was thinking HAL might be nice too, any thoughts about which of the two my three kids might enjoy better? They are 9, 13, and 15.

My Alaska cruises were on Princess (Coral and Golden) and HAL (Veendam), and both did a great job in Alaska. Are you considering HAL Zaandam, Oosterdam, and the Golden Princess out of Seattle? While I think Princess's ships are prettier, HAL has great outdoor viewing areas on their smaller ships like the Zaandam (Seattle) and Volendam (Vancouver). I haven't been on a HAL Vista-class ship, so I don't know what the outdoor viewing areas are like on the Oosterdam/Zuiderdam. I also didn't cruise to Alaska with kids, so you would need to ask about children's activities on the respective cruise line boards. Based purely on Seattle itineraries, I would give the edge to HAL because it goes to Sitka rather than Skagway. Both are great port towns, but I enjoyed Sitka more. If you want to cruise from Vancouver, HAL Zuiderdam and Volendam go to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord, in addition to the usual Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

**I just now noticed you're booked on the Sapphire Princess. The Golden Princess is only slightly smaller than the Sapphire, and every other cruise goes to Glacier Bay. It went through a major overhaul in drydock last May and it is beautiful!

Archived