Trouble on Navigator

There was nothing mentioned on any of the news sources and there are a lot of "confirmations" here from posters with very low posts who just joined CC.:eek:

If this really did happen it is a tragedy and the young man is in my prayers... if someone is making it up you are also in my prayers because you are one truly unbalanced individual.:eek:

Before everyone jumped down the OP's throat.. they should have checked .. Freedom wasn't anywhere near Cozumel.. it's in the Eastern Caribbean this season. I agree with many other posts.. the important thing is this young man and his family.

So here we have a combination of the two reports.-the party reported in the “Freedom” incident and the denial of the volleyball game in the “Navigator” report. Is it any wonder that there was so much disbelief.

JMO-The rush to be the first to post may have created a lot of the skepticism over this incident.

Before everyone jumped down the OP's throat.. they should have checked .. Freedom wasn't anywhere near Cozumel.. it's in the Eastern Caribbean this season. I agree with many other posts.. the important thing is this young man and his family.

Maybe you should have checked, you would have seen that Freedom alternates eastern and western routes.

I just got home from the Navigator. Here are the facts: I stayed in suite 2606...this was my first cruise. At 7:30 AM Friday morning I was awoken by something clanking the outside of the ship. I looked out my window to see a bright yellow tender adjacent to our ship right outside my window. It was there for almost an hour. The ship was obviously stopped during this time. My suite attendant told me a man had been seriously injured during the night. I went to the Windjammer for breakfast and the captain announced a 23 year old male was in critical condition due to an accident around 3:30 AM that night. They had diverted course to have him and his family sent to a hospital in Cozumel as he could not be treated on the boat. We were told we would port in Miami one hour late on Saturday morning (which we did). My uncle was out jogging around the deck at 7 AM Friday morning and saw tape around the pool, a beach ball, and blood. That is all I know. I heard rumors that he broke his back, neck, and sustained a head injury. It was very sad.

Over on the Freedom thread, shoppergurl1020 has just confirmed the incident. shoppergurl1020 has been a member of the Navigator's Roll Call for this cruise. So for me, this is verification and I apologize to the OP for the angst we may have caused by doubting his story.

Our son, in his late 20's was on this ship along with a group of friends. They are all young professionals in their late 20's and early 30's. They booked this cruise not realizing it would be Spring break for some colleges. Our son has been on quite a few family cruises and said that this cruise was a little wilder than those. He did tell us this afternoon after he had arrived back that this incident had occured at the Solarium pool. He said that he did not witness it, but they did have to go back towards Cozumel to evacuate the young man who was critically injured. He was shocked that someone would actually think the netting over the pool would keep someone from falling through and getting hurt.

This is a tragedy and RCI will most likely be sued because of it. The net is probably strong enough to hold a person but possibly wasn't secured properly by staff. All the signs in the world and waivers signed mean nothing when you present a case to 10 sympathetic jurors.

When I see stories like this (Darwin theory), I always make a point to share them with my children. I would hope that my kids wouldn't do something like this at 9 years old, muchless 23 years old.

This is a tragedy and RCI will most likely be sued because of it. The net is probably strong enough to hold a person but possibly wasn't secured properly by staff. All the signs in the world and waivers signed mean nothing when you present a case to 10 sympathetic jurors.

When I see stories like this (Darwin theory), I always make a point to share them with my children. I would hope that my kids wouldn't do something like this at 9 years old, muchless 23 years old.

WHAT??? Good gosh that is how rumors get started. That is a very harsh statement, where is your proof? Where you there?? :rolleyes::eek:

###

We are diamond members. This weekis the first leg of a back to back on the Navigator. Had a really good first week. Spring break is something else. We have cruised in March before, but this was our first spring break experience on RCCL. The kids were loud, which was fine, but a group of boys and girls language skills need much work. The party continued until the Thursday night party. We had a really bad accident early Friday morning. Around 3:30 AM a bunch of kids were hitting a beach ball around the solariam, adult pool, the beach ball hit in the empty pool, which had a net over it. A 23 year old jumped on to the net to retreive the beach ball and hit the bottom of pool. When I got up around 7 and went out on balcony I noticed we were really close to a port. I went up so pool deck to get us a chair and started hearing stories. We deverted back to cosmuel for an emargency evacuation. They had the entire area sealed off with crime tape, a stokes basket with blood on head piece and the lonesome beach ball still in empty pool. Came down to tell my wife, when a large tender with a medical staff pull up under our balcony and we watch coldly as his two room mates with all their clothes got on the tender to a wait their friend. About 30 minutes later they loaded him. Severe head injury with my bionuculars I could see he had racooned eyes and entire head was swollen & was completely immolized. Later the capt came over speaker and without telling exactly what happened, told us he was in extreme critical condition and because of having to divert our course, we would be arriving late in miami by at least an hour. Our prayers our with the family of this young man. I can't beleive the call they revived. You raise your family, send them to school, then college and they go on a spring break an have something like this happen. I am not sure exactly what happened, but all pools were drained and the net was across all of them. I am RCCL is doing all possible to assist this family. I just wanted to let everyone know. This is my first post, but I love this board. Jim

IMG_0290.JPG

Jim: I read your story earlier today and was absolutely disgusted by all the people that decided to post and criticize your credibility saying the story wasn't true. The story is 100% true! My brother returned from Navigator today and told me the same thing that you posted. My brother was in the Solarium at the party and saw when the individual jumped into the net. He was horrified at what happened to the individual. I'll spare the details as they are very graphic and truly sad! :( My heart goes out to the individual and his family. According to my brother, the individual is a student at Duke University.

For those that criticized Jim (Breck1969), who took the time to inform the Cruise Critic community of a serious and unfortunate situation that we otherwise may not have known about, you should be ashamed of yourselves! :( Just because someone is new to the Cruise Critic community does not mean they are making up stories. Everyone was at some point in their time on Cruise Critic new to the community as well.

As an RN with many years of Neurosurgical Critical care experience I would like to issue a BS alert on this post. A person with a severe head injury would not be kept on board until they reached the next port. Ships Medical facilities have limited resources. Raccoon eyes, as mentioned by the OP are an indication of a skull fracture. That boy would have been off the ship pronto by air evac. I think the OP has been Googling enough information to make it sound plausible to a layman, but not enough to any one in the medical field.

Observing a person overnight on board a ship at sea, with a severe head injury with potential for rapid deterioration and no Neuro Surgeon around

- not happening.

That is what I was thinking when I was reading about what happened on the Freedom. If someone dove off an upper deck into an empty pool, hit his head and LIVED, there would have been a helicopter on the helipad that night pronto.

Now I just think both stories are pure BS.

It is terribly unfortunate that the posting is completely TRUE about the accident on the Navigator. A 23 yr old college student did jump into an empty pool that had been drained and netted off. There was a dance party in the Solarium from 11pm to "late" on Wednesday and Thursday. It was a typical night club scene, or should I say a spring break scene... with a lot of drinking, loud thumping music and lots of college kids dancing. (There was no volleyball or anything of the sorts). I attended the 2nd evening and can tell you it was clearly stated throughout the evening that the pools, hot tubs, (and even the horse statues at the end of the pool deck) were OFF LIMITS, in fact, several times in the course of the evening, the DJ stopped the music and scolded the crowd if anyone was out of line. We left the party @ 30 minutes before it happened. Sadly, the young man thought the netting would hold him like a circus net and dove in. It happened @ 3am and the medical staff did the best they could with the circumstances. The injuries were far more than the ship's medical facilities could handle. They did immediately reroute course towards Cozumel and a medical ship transported the young man to a hospital in Mexico by 7am. It was not a case of overnight observation. The ship handled the accident swiftly, doing the best they could to provide the best care. The next day the pool that the accident occurred in was taped off for a time so they could clean out the pool. Our prayers are with the young man and his family. such a tragic situation.

WELCOME to cruise critic!!! :rolleyes:

That is what I was thinking when I was reading about what happened on the Freedom. If someone dove off an upper deck into an empty pool, hit his head and LIVED, there would have been a helicopter on the helipad that night pronto.

You just might want to read more posts on this thread :rolleyes: Who said he jumped from an upper deck.

###

Unfortunatly I don't think this story is fake. I do believe there is a family that is going through a rough time right now because a beloved son did something stupid on a spring break cruise. My prayers that the young man recovers.

I also believe the story on the Freedom was a case of mistaken ship identity.

WHAT??? Good gosh that is how rumors get started. That is a very harsh statement, where is your proof? Where you there?? :rolleyes::eek:

###

I agree...they are safety nets , not trampolines.....He was drunk and Drunk people do STUPID things......I am sorry it happened and feel sorry for his family......But Drunk People do STUPID THINGS....NOT RCCL FAULT at all.

Mike

The story is real!! 100%

Go to the Freedom story and the woman verifies in the end her daughter who told her the story was indeed on Navigator, not Freedom. My brother confirmed the story. Several other members on Cruise Critic have confirmed it as well.

Who said anyone jumped from another deck???

It's a tragic story and one that does not merit such scrutiny. Also, might it have occured to anyone that perhaps the ship was too far from shore for a helicopter to fly in?

Folks, it is a round trip after all. Again, why scrutinize? If that had been an option, I'm sure the proper authorities would have seen to it.

And - if for any reason - it weren't true, we should all be happy that it didn't happen, friends aren't in shock, and parents aren't devastated.

Wrong. Freedom was in Cozumel yesterday.

Navigator was in Cozumel on Wednesday.

I get the feeling that the non-believers on this (and the other) thread who are saying the story isn't true would also argue that the sky is not blue. :rolleyes:

I believe the story and it's terrible what happened. Alcohol and empty pools apparently do not mix. I hope the young man recovers from this terrible tragedy.

Just because it may have been his fault does not make it any less tragic for him, his family and his friends.

I was one of the first to post my skepticisim. Given the conflicting and unusual elements in the two reports, I'm sure you can understand my reluctance to accept the story as written. At this point I am inclined to believe that there was a probably was a serious injury, probably on the Navigator; though I'm not confident of that enough to report it as fact to anyone. I do wish to apologize to the OP. I believe my skepticism, and search for more information, may have prompted some others to become unnecessarily insulting and harsh. I hope that I don't ever have to witness that kind of injury.

I get the feeling that the non-believers on this (and the other) thread who are saying the story isn't true would also argue that the sky is not blue. :rolleyes:

I think the problem is that we had a person claim it was on Freedom and there were certain details that didn't match up with Freedom's itinerary so people started questioning it especially since it was a first time poster. Only after a day had passed did we get information that stated it was Navigator - and that was on a separate thread (this thread). If we hadn't had the misinformation to begin with, I think a lot less people would have questioned that it actually happened.

We can all take a lesson from this to be careful in sharing 2nd hand information. The original OP on the thread that stated it was Freedom did everyone a disservice with their error - even though they were trying to be helpful. Sometimes it is better to wait and get the facts straight before we start posting things.

For me when I read the 1st thread said a prayer for an unnamed young man - and hoped that the post had no truth to it.

If a safety net isn't for safety then it's faulty and RCL needs to take responsibility for it's contribution to this tragic injury. Apparently the net wasn't tight enough to prevent this mans head from colliding with the bottom of the pool. My sympathy to this young man and all involved.

Archived