New to NCL - What can you tell me???

LynneL

I've been on at least 25 cruises (15 Carnival, couple RCI, Princess, etc.), but never on NCL. Going on the Jewel in May & would like to know what are some tips to get the most out of this cruise...those little things that may be unique to NCL that I might otherwise overlook.

Thanks for any help!

BLUE LAGOON 23 hrs/day--GOOD chicken strips and wings!!!

soft serve ice cream in the buffet--makes a GOOD shake just add some milk and if you want chocolate (in a glass)

be sure to go to your M&G and meet JOHN OHARA--HE IS THE BEST HD--he really will go the EXTRA for ya!!!

make sure you see the CIRQUE show sit about 12 rows from the stage or so...GET THERE EARLY!!!

i HOPE they have Chicken Cordon Bleu in the MDR for your sailing...never had before and it was a NICE surprise on our Jan sailing...only WISH i had ordered 2-----YUMMY!!!

remember its FREESTYLE...you are FREE to WHATEVER:D

I was on the Jewel in Nov and will be on again in June. A few NCL things:

Free Style Dining: Eat when and were you want. NCL / Jewel has restaurants that are free and several that have a cover charge, try Cagney's & Le Bistro $20 cover, I can speak for the other ones that have a cover. On the Jewel there are several TV’s in the common areas that show the wait time for each restaurant.

Try the Blue Lagoon: nice quick food, desk 8 mid. Wings, burgers, hot dogs.

Tipping: I was on a Royal cruise before and did the normal tipping. NCL has a daily service charge that goes on your bill, $12. This covers all employees that you would normally tip. I will normally give the room stewards a few more dollars; my wife needs extra extra pillows. When you order a drink from the bar service people there is a tip added for you to the check.

Tickets / Travel Doc’s: stuff comes via email then to a link, they are called eDoc's. You will print your luggage tag. On the last 3 cruises even with the eDoc’s I got mailed heavier tags.

You can’t bring liquor on with you, but you can bring water and soda. I packed 2 cases of soda before. NCL has a soda card program, you get a sticker on your room card, you show it and get unlimited soda, and it is about $45.

“Bucket O Beer”: The offer a bucket that looks like a football helmet. Buy 5 get 6 beers, the deal is good. They got smart and attached a small opener to the bucket.

Shows: Review the boards for what show is on the ship before you cruise. Normally a 7 & 9 PM show, get there early.

You get a Free Style Daily in your room, it shows ever thing that happens on the boat.

Take a look

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ

Thanks so much for the info. This type of stuff is helpful.

Couple of questions: with the Cirque show (really looking forward to that) must you get tickets in advance like RCI does for their ice show or just go in early & find your seat?

With restaurants....so now I've got on my list to try Cagney's & LeBistro for 2 nights. Must you make a reservation as soon as you get on-board? Blue Lagoon will be for some lunches.

The restaurants that do not have a cover (great idea with the TV times)...Which would you recommend? Can you make reservations ahead or strictly put your name down & wait?

Surprised you are not even allowed 1 bottle of wine in your carry-on for sail away, though not a big issue. I will bring a bunch of bottled water though just to have in my room or for beach.

I am so excited now for this trip!!!! I'm beginning to feel like I have one foot on there already..and a bonus for us is leaving from NYC. The Jewel seemed to get so many good reviews. Although 2 of the ports aren't a thrill for me (Port Canaveral & Nassau), we are so looking forward to Stirrup Caye & trying NCL for the first time.

We were on the Jewel a couple of years ago and the Cirque show was awesome. Best show I've ever seen on a cruise - I was amazed they could do all that stuff on a moving ship.

We didn't have to get tickets to the show. They post notices that the people in the first 10 rows cannot get up and leave once the show starts. This is because the acrobats are flying through the air and you don't want to stand up and get hit in the head.

We're going on Sky in a few weeks and I wish they had a Cirque show! I usually don't bother to go to shows anymore because so many of them are corny. The Cirque show is WELL worth seeing.

Thanks so much for the info. This type of stuff is helpful.

Couple of questions: with the Cirque show (really looking forward to that) must you get tickets in advance like RCI does for their ice show or just go in early & find your seat? No tickets required...seating is first come. Times of the shows will be listed in the daily newsletter, Freestyle Daily.

With restaurants....so now I've got on my list to try Cagney's & LeBistro for 2 nights. Must you make a reservation as soon as you get on-board? You can make reservations up to 24 hours in advance, balcony / mini-suites 48 hours in advance and full suites for the whole week at any time. Don't forget to check out the Great Outdoors area at the stern of deck12...al fresco buffet and bar with a great view of the ship's wake. Blue Lagoon will be for some lunches. This menu is the same each day.

The restaurants that do not have a cover (great idea with the TV times)...Which would you recommend? Can you make reservations ahead or strictly put your name down & wait? There are two main dining rooms...Tsars Palace has lots of windows and a high ceiling; the Azura is smaller and intimate. Both have the same menu which changes daily. Tsar's Palace serves brealfast, lunch and dinner. No reservations taken except for large groups. Lots of seating for 2 but you can ask to be seated with others and they will.

Surprised you are not even allowed 1 bottle of wine in your carry-on for sail away, though not a big issue. I will bring a bunch of bottled water though just to have in my room or for beach. You can bring as much wine as you want, however they will charge you a $15 fee per 750 ml bottle and put a sticker on it...you can then drink it anywhere on the ship.

I am so excited now for this trip!!!! I'm beginning to feel like I have one foot on there already..and a bonus for us is leaving from NYC. The Jewel seemed to get so many good reviews. Although 2 of the ports aren't a thrill for me (Port Canaveral & Nassau), we are so looking forward to Stirrup Caye & trying NCL for the first time. Don't get your hopes up for Great Stirrup Cay...just a crowded beach day for most.

here is a link to a picture of Great Stirrup Cay.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerintn/CruisePixMisc#5277114375477424434

everything is where the tenders land.

Have a great cruise

Archived