Any plans to renovate the Dawn like the Star has been changed???

coffeebean

The Dawn and Star are sister ships...they are the only two like them in NCL's fleet. I've been reading how the Star has been dramatically changed and it sounds like it no longer resembles the Dawn.

Has anyone heard or read that NCL plans to renovate the Dawn as they are doing with the Star?

There is a roll call for the Norwegian Dawn Southern Carribean for 10/22/10, so I don't think the drydock is scheduled for that time period.:confused: Anyone know how to find out for sure?

The Dawn is scheduled for drydock in the Fall of 2011. I did a search, and no cruises show up from 10/22-11/6/2011.

I have no ideal, though, what they plan to do her. :(

There is a roll call for the Norwegian Dawn Southern Carribean for 10/22/10, so I don't think the drydock is scheduled for that time period.:confused: Anyone know how to find out for sure?

Two different years.

The Dawn is scheduled for drydock in the Fall of 2011. I did a search, and no cruises show up from 10/22-11/6/2011.

I have no ideal, though, what they plan to do her. :(

You are correct Barb. I was told, by Hugo, that the Dawn was scheduled for a late October 2011 dry dock. He was not completely sure of what was going to happen. He just returned from vacation, so I was going to let him settle in before bombarding him with question about the Dawn vs. the Star modifications.

PE

• 3 weeks later...

I was told on the Star last week that they will evaluate the results of the Star refurbishment to determine whether to go ahead with similar renovations/changes on the Dawn. I would encourage passenger feedback to NCL regarding the changes.

The Dawn's drydock is scheduled for Oct 22nd - Nov 6th 2011.

I agree that they will be looking at how the Star works out before making any interior changes to the Dawn.

But overall, I have heard that they are pretty happy with the moves that were made to Blue Lagoon, Gift shops, Spinakers etc. and that these areas are working out well. The construction of the new staterooms is going well also. They are building them in place and are still working on the basics, leveling the floor, plumbing, electric, etc.

The Dawn's drydock is scheduled for Oct 22nd - Nov 6th 2011.

I agree that they will be looking at how the Star works out before making any interior changes to the Dawn.

But overall, I have heard that they are pretty happy with the moves that were made to Blue Lagoon, Gift shops, Spinakers etc. and that these areas are working out well. The construction of the new staterooms is going well also. They are building them in place and are still working on the basics, leveling the floor, plumbing, electric, etc.

I thought someone said they were going to load pre-made modules in LA for this modification.

PE

All I know is what I'm told.:rolleyes: Just talked to DS today from Mazatlan and that's what he said. There were some issues about loading a cargo container into the area.

One thing we can always count on - things change daily!

One thing I believe 100% they will look at, maybe even more so than pax feed back is revenue. I am sure they will look to see the revenue difference in the Star with Spinnaker lounge being there vs. what they will take in from the new suites and compare that with overall ship's occupancy. No matter what folks say, $$$ always speak louder than words. I think moving Spinnaker lounge was a mistake, even though we only used it for bingo and shows at night. So for us it isn't a huge impact, but I do believe there are folks that used it for the views during the daytime hours that will be unhappy that it is gone. Will those pax go to other ships or cruiselines? Will the other changes made bring in guest to replace the ones lost by the changes? Only time and their accounting department can tell. Sadly, people say all the time that they are not going to use a business again because it did this or that, and the sad reality is, eventually they will have to stop doing business with anyone because there just arent that many choices or go back to the one they said they would never use again. And business know this.

Because we are not that impacted by Spinnaker being moved, we never entertained a thought to cancellation of our May cruise on the Star. The other changes we are actually looking forward to seeing. So I am sure they have some way to look at the bottom line dollars and seeing if overall they are taking in more money with the new suites as opposed to before the new suites. I would be that would have more of a factor on if the Dawn follow suit than anything else.

Archived