Wi Fi on S class

emcee207

Okay, this might be a stupid question but I am kind of a computer neophyte.

Just bought a new notebook with Wi-Fi.

Do the S class ships have wi fi that would enable me to have internet access from my cabin with the notebook. How is it billed?

Don't want to bring it with us in two weeks on the Equinox if I can't get internet access in my cabin.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

And, yes, I did a search here but came up empty

No, The Wi-Fi is not free on the ship. Internet connections are expensive and slow. There are packages that you can buy to reduce the cost some but don't plan to surf too much you our internet charges will be more than your bar bill!;) There are places in port where you can get free internet but I have never done that. I just use the internet to check on business email and reply if necessary.

I just checked the celebrity website and they do address this. sounds like you can access it from your cabin but the same charges from the Internet Cafe apply. I also just use it to check emails. Doesn't seem worth it to take along the notebook so I probabably won't. We get 90 mins for our elite status anyways.

Okay, this might be a stupid question but I am kind of a computer neophyte.

Just bought a new notebook with Wi-Fi.

Do the S class ships have wi fi that would enable me to have internet access from my cabin with the notebook. How is it billed?

Don't want to bring it with us in two weeks on the Equinox if I can't get internet access in my cabin.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

And, yes, I did a search here but came up empty

Yes, you can get wi-fi in your room on the S Class ships. What we usually do is compose all e-mails we wish to send in advance and then log on to receive and send what we had written to same time. As elite we are given 90 minutes free per person. otherwise you can buy packages, which are rather expensive. you can also access the internet at many of the ports you stop at. They have internet cafes.

We each have one of the 10" mini-laptops. We are driving from Maryland to Pensacola to pick up our grandchildren and we will then drive to Fort Lauderdale. I love being able to use the computer as we drive, I can look ahead for a motel for the night, where to stop for gas, dinner, etc. The children (12 & 10) love to use them also. We will take one on the cruise mainly to down load our photos. We keep them on the photo stick also but feel safer having them backed up. The small laptop is so little and light weight it is really easy to take with us.

We walked in our Walmart one evening and they had these $298.00 minis marked down to $198.00 as my husband said, for that price they are basically throw aways. We start having trouble with them a few years down the road we can just throw them away. I have a Dell Studio that I paid almost $1000. for about 2 years ago and it is literally falling apart. I feel a LOT better spending $198/each! Perfect for travel and backing up our photos!

We always purchase one of their internet packages - it will be nice to just use it in our stateroom.

I took my notebook on Equinox and it was great in the room. Saved going to the computer room where I gather some folks had a lot of hassle with the machines being slow, in fact one day I had to use them and yes they were so much slower than my notebook in the cabin. If your room partner is also elite you have 180 minutes, you just log in as one of you for the first 90 mins then log in on the same machine for the second 90- mins

Only time you need to go to the computer centre is to set all this up

You can then use the wifi anywhere on the ship

And another small bonus if you are worried about germs - at least you know who has been using the keyboard :)

I always have to bring my hi end laptop with an advanced wireless. Using Outlook on line only to upload and download messages and asking my associated not to send megabyte files I was able to do two weeks of work for business on the Infinty Sail to Antarctica with our two elite 90 minute credits. Mind you that the upload and download speeds on the Infinity are about 1/4 that of the Solstice Class ships. (I have used both the Solstice and the Equinox systems) Nevertheless if you are careful about when you upload and download and don't dawdle online you can accomplish a lot. Don't expect to stream video like Youtube.

I also believe the Satellite Linkiing Antennaes (in the domes on the top decks) have been upgraded on the Infinity. We took a Millennium Alaska Cruise two years ago and service was poor compared to the Infinity. Worse sea conditions in the South Atlantic did not deteriorate the speed as bad as the Alaskan Cruise.

Archived