March 13 - 14 nights - question for returning cruisers

newcruiser52

I am particularly interested in any feedback or advice to people returning from this cruise (underway as I write this); as we are going on the next 14 day itinerary (not until September), and any advice regarding packing or shore excursions or ANYTHING would be much appreciated!

I am so excited I'm scouring these boards, even 6 months out in advance... Thanks to all who have been posting reviews and advice, and DrmnOfMaui it has been really fun reading your 'serialized' report.

What itinerary is your cruise? We did a 14-day about a year ago and didn't pack much differently than for a 7-day. Since my husband always seems to come home with a few clean shirts, I just counted on getting a bit of laundry done, and rinsing out underwear in the bathroom. Laundry services are fairly reasonable, and this worked out well.

We are doing Marquesas, Tuatmotus, and Society Islands. I noticed on the list of excursions that they cannot open the boat's marina in the Marquesas, so I imagine we will definately want to do excursions as we cannot just hang out in kayaks, etc.

I don't see it listed yet on the ship's site, but I have seen an overnight offered, at the Bora Bora Intercontinental; includes overwater bungalow, dinner, breakfast, and use of the resort for the day - it's intriguing to me as I don't have a pre or post cruise booked. But unfortunately, it's the Bora Bora day that doesn't seem hard to fill; so many excursions to pick from, and I see many people recommending the Sting Ray ballet.

We're lapsed certified divers, haven't been diving since 2005, but hoping to get maybe a beginner dive in this trip. Or, maybe have them do a refresher for us, and join an intermediate - there's one on Huahine offered.

Did your 14 day go on this itinerary? What excursions did you do?

Good to know about the laundry and packing quantity of clothes, was getting a bit worried. I always overpack anyway.

Ah yes, this was our last itinerary. Sublime! On each of the Marquesas islands there was a 4x4 trip offered--we did three, none on Fatu Hiva (this was our favourite, so beautiful--just walked up the road, and then a performance was put on by the local residents.) All three of the 4x4 trips were great, but I think Nuku Hiva was the best, went up over the mountains to the other side of the island. In general the drivers don't speak much English, although a few words of French help.

I have never thought the overnight in Bora Bora was worth it, since the ship is so great, but I see they've changed hotels from the Pearl (makes sense, given the ship owners.) I would do some googling and have a look--there are two, Moana and Thalasso, not sure which they use. Moana is down the end around Matira, Thalasso is out on a motu on the east side.

Remember the Bora Bora motu--it's beautiful if you love beaches.

In hindsight, I do wish I had built in some shore time. But, 14 days was all I could spare from work (this is for our 25th anniversary, and the first time since our honeymoon I have taken more than a week at a time). We arrive on the Air France about 5am, and can't board the ship until the afternoon, so we have a 'day room' just so if we are totally wiped out, we can sleep. No idea what to expect. Perhaps I'll have energy for the market, I hope so.

Archived