Ipod on Solstice

Slyfox16

I always bring along an audio cord (RCA to headphone type) and plug it in to the TV.

Put the TV on aux input and you are good to go.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see an Aux input capability on our TV on Solstice, or for that matter on the Infinity, but didn't really look closely when we sailed Inifinity in Jan 09. I see you've not cruised Solstice but have Infinity. You had an Aux input for a jack on the Infinity TV? And the OP is asking about Solstice.

Denny

I haven't sailed on the Solstice (Yet..Booked for next month)

I have been on the Infinity which does not have aux input.

But I did a little research :D and I found that the sets on the Solstice do in fact have a bunch of inputs. Some can be used. Some not (without a little geek wizardry)

I don't think CC will like a link to competitor site, but here is some cut and paste. Hopefully that will be ok.

A little google search will turn up the whole thread and some pretty pictures too.

Although it has been said that there’s nothing additional you can do with the Samsung flat screen TVs on the Solstice class ships, it turns out that this isn’t quite true. However, given the configuration Celebrity has chosen for cabin use, your options are somewhat limited.

The 32” set in a standard Equinox cabin is a Samsung model LN32A450C3HXZA set up for “Hotel mode” (more on that later!)

These sets are designed to either face flat to the couch, or swing away from the wall to be viewed from the bed. Grab the end away from the bed and give it a pull – you’ll find that the viewing angle can be changed considerably.

After you swing it out, you’ll also see quite a bundle of cables in the rear. These sets have a wealth of optional inputs and outputs on both the side and rear panels. Sadly, nearly all of these are unavailable for use. The “Source” and “Menu” buttons on the side of the set do NOT function to shift from one input to the next or otherwise modify operation (locked out), so your only option is to use the same connections that the Mac mini (located behind the two small upper ‘sock’ drawers below the set) uses to connect to the set.The plug marked “PC IN” / “PC” is a standard VGA video port. So while you cannot directly hook your camera to the composite video inputs as we’ve often done on other ships, if you can slide your photos over to a netbook or notebook computer, you can display your photos this way. Don’t forget to bring along a 15 pin VGA to VGA cable.

The plug just to the left of the VGA input is marked “AUDIO”. This is a standard 1/8” (aka 3.5mm) stereo jack that will accept audio from your computer, MP3 player or other device. The set’s remote control can be used in conjunction with that of your own audio device to control the volume. I hooked the headphone output from my netbook to this port and found the levels were well matched and entirely appropriate. Don’t forget to bring along a 1/8” audio cable.

The combination of the VGA and 1/8” audio connections made it possible to play a DVD, review and edit my cruise photos on a large screen, and play music through the decent set speakers without having to drag along a separate pair of speakers for in-room music.

So while limited, there’s at least a bit of input/output available to you on these cabin sets.

Archived