Turkish Airlines

azldw

Booked our flights from Doha to Barcelona for our May 3 Cruise through Turkish Airlines in January. Just noticed today that they have run my last name together. My last name is odd - two separate names, no hyphen. The airline just ran it together into a one-word name. It matches my passport except for the missing space.

I'm wondering if I need to call Turkish Airlines, or if I've just been reading too many stories about TSA...

Just noticed today that they have run my last name together. My last name is odd - two separate names, no hyphen. The airline just ran it together into a one-word name. It matches my passport except for the missing space.
That is correct; you have nothing to worry about.

If it helps relieve your mind any, when we traveled to Athens and out of Istanbul, DDP's first name was mispelled on his ticket and they had his middle and last name's run together. We tried to get it changed but we were using a star alliance award ticket so Lufthansa said USAirways who had booked the ticket had to change it and of course USAirways said that the only way to change it was to cancel the reservation and "hopefully" rebook it but that the newly freed award seat might not show up immediately and therefore no guarantee that we would end up with the award seat, I still think this was a bunch of whooee on USAirways part since it was their agent who misspelled it to begin with...but after fretting about it, no one even batted an eye at any of the airports. Have a great trip!

The rules go something like this: All special characters (apostrophes, hyphens, spaces etc) are removed from the names so that there is a single run of text - this is because of the way that text has historically been handled by airline computer systems. And spelling mistakes are allowed, provided that no more than three letters are wrong and the misspelt version is phonetically similar to the true version.

Archived