Around the horn - Weather? Balcony?

KyRoamer

We are considering next January's Star Princess Santiago to Rio cruise but concerned about the number of sea days and the weather.

On our Panama canal cruise we loved the sea days because it was warm and we could enjoy the pool and deck areas.

Here there are seven sea days. The first three are out of Santiago. A friend just back from a similar cruise said that where Santiago was warm, all three sea days were in the 40's or low 50's. She said that by the time the ship reached the Horn area, even mid-day temperatures did not get past mid-40's.

We have a deposit on a mini-suite but are not sure that the balcony will get a lot of use although we enjoyed our balcony on an Alaska cruise. In Alaska there was a lot of ship time near shore and there were interesting things to see from the balcony including bears on land and whales at sea.

On this cruise the Horn passage is described as scenic but most of the sea days seem far from land.

Any advice?

We are considering next January's Star Princess Santiago to Rio cruise but concerned about the number of sea days and the weather.

On our Panama canal cruise we loved the sea days because it was warm and we could enjoy the pool and deck areas.

Here there are seven sea days. The first three are out of Santiago. A friend just back from a similar cruise said that where Santiago was warm, all three sea days were in the 40's or low 50's. She said that by the time the ship reached the Horn area, even mid-day temperatures did not get past mid-40's.

We have a deposit on a mini-suite but are not sure that the balcony will get a lot of use although we enjoyed our balcony on an Alaska cruise. In Alaska there was a lot of ship time near shore and there were interesting things to see from the balcony including bears on land and whales at sea.

On this cruise the Horn passage is described as scenic but most of the sea days seem far from land.

Any advice?

I am confused by your question. Is the question to go on the cruise at all because of the weather or to get the balcony?

It will be VERY windy and cool when you get to far South America. I have seen it snow around Cape Horn. I have been on two cruises "around the Horn" and one repo from FLL to Santiago.

It will be warm (summer warm) in Santiago/BA/Rio. It will get progressively cooler as you leave Santiago and head south. Then warm up again as you head north toward BA.

Sitting in the hot tubs going through the fjords is one of my very special memories. But it was darn cold outside. My friend Carol's hair FROZE when she got out.

You will have to take a variety of clothing-warm and cool, but more than anything, something to protect you from the wind.

You may or may not use the balcony. Probably will around Santiago/BA/Rio where you can actually enjoy. We have had balconies on two out of three cruises. We didn't use it much "around the Horn" but the fresh air and being able to go outside in "grubbies" when we were pulling into port was very nice. The cruise we did NOT have the balcony we spent a lot more time out of our cabin in the lounges.

I am confused by your question. Is the question to go on the cruise at all because of the weather or to get the balcony?

Both.

Three cool/cold days in a row at sea concerns us.

With single at sea days sandwiched between exciting ports there is lots to do. We enjoy the relaxation of sleeping late and often attend lectures related to the next port. Three days too cool to sun by the pool seem a bit much.

As far as the balcony goes, my wife likes the open feeling the large sliding door gives to the cabin. If we end up spending additional cabin time (I love just finding a quiet place to read), she will enjoy the extra light even if indoors.

So I am comfortable with the mini-suite. The extra sitting area will also be a bonus. It's really just the weather and consecutive days at sea.

Both.

Three cool/cold days in a row at sea concerns us.

With single at sea days sandwiched between exciting ports there is lots to do. We enjoy the relaxation of sleeping late and often attend lectures related to the next port. Three days too cool to sun by the pool seem a bit much.

One of those sea days out of Valpo will be through the Chilean fjords I would guess. Most of the cruises do that. And most of the cruises stop at Puerto Montt on the Chilean coast the second day.

On the Star itinerary, the first day out of Valpo there is not much to see. Then the Chilean fjord day and finally into Punta Arenas.

I think I would find another cruise. Seems to be a "hurry up" so the Star Princess can get into the Falklands and Rio. You CANNOT count on making it to the Falklands (one of the most canceled cruise ports in SA next to Antarctica), so that is something to take into consideration. You may also want to end your cruise in BA so you can Iguazzu Falls. Lots of things to consider. Enjoy!!!

just back(today- we stayed an extra day each in Valparaiso and Santiago) from the Celebrity Infinity. It can be anything from dead calm and warm to snowing..... we had dead calm and the sun out at the Cape.

We had wonderful sunny and fairly warm weather every where but Ushaia, where it was raining in the am and then sunny(I have a great video of my wife trying to see how cold the water was.) I am uplaoding the pictures and movies now....I'll post some later.

We did all private tours except one ship tour. The ship tour was excellent really(more pictures too)...

we spent some time out on the Veranda(free upgrade)...and had a wonderful time....We wished it stop in Puerto Natales to see there Glacier near there.

FYI The Chilean Flag is at half mast for the dead, and injured during the recent earth quake.

1773544859_southamericaandothers237-1.jpg.f6eb4618d113412db9e824bdef2d8936.jpg

551591904_southamericaandothers248-1.jpg.197900746bb7c47de2e0a17febc22440.jpg

2131056491_southamericaandothers249-1.jpg.437ca5fb4de708fe61e49e81ebe6b1ae.jpg

We chose a balcony and we used it a lot. Sometimes we were out there in our winter coats but we used it. On warm mornings when we were in port, we ate breakfast on the balcony (so we could get dressed while we ate). It was also a great place for napping which we did on a couple of sea days since our aft balcony was furnished with lounge chairs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Gifs---we sailed from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires 12 days on Star Princess a couple of years ago and it was fabulous, one of our top 3 in over 20 voyages. Weather in this part of the world is always a crapshoot. We did not miss having a balcony. Category E obstructed view (which was not very obstructed) was quite economical. Our day at the Cape was atypical, very calm seas and not too windy. The onboard guide, Joe May, was so excited as he said he could on one hand the number of times it had been that good and at the time he had well over 100 transits. Great itinerary. Penguins at Punta Arenas was fun albeit very windy (easily 50mph+). Stanley was wonderful. Beagle Channel scenic cruising was nice but sort of ho-hum after seeing Norwegian, Alaska and New Zealand fjords. BA is magnificent and a self-planned (saved $2500 over the cruiseline price) trip to Iguazu Falls is a MUST DO either pre-or post cruise. Have a great trip. John and Janie

• 1 year later...
we are doing a similar cruise in feb. Do we need to take winter coats or just layers with sweaters/fleece jackets/wind jackets?

I would take something like a North Face type of Jacket with a Fleece. Also a hat, gloves, scarf, and water proof shoes and pants that will keep you warm. The key is to layer. As you go further south it get cold and with the wind chill factor will feel even colder.

Keith

I'm thinking that I just might take a separate duffel bag with the coats and hats and fleece pants etc. We leave in mid January and spend 5 days in Ft. Lauderdale with granddaughter then cruise from Rio to Valpo and fly home in Feb. to Baltimore. Too many opportunities to freeze your tail off to leave the cold weather gear at home. But sure don't want the coats on flying from Miami to Rio and Santiago to Miami:rolleyes:

Ideas on how to handle all the gear you need?

We had lovely weather most of the time last February, but we did need a medium weight jacket much of the time as we got further South. We ended taking it off as the days warmed up in most ports. It was pleasantly cool in Ushuaia, but the Cape was a windy cold but sunny.

As far as balcony use, my wife viewed the fjords and Cape from the balcony; which was more protected from the wind than where I was on the upper decks. You can see lots of photos of what people were wearing during the cruise in the different port in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

Archived