Flight Time out of LA?

lcs

We're on a cruise on the Mariner out of LA in the fall. Do you think a 12:30 flight back home at the end of the cruise is feasible? Thanks for your help.

If C & I goes well and the ship is ontime, you should have no problem making it. We were off by about 8:30am (express walk off) when we sailed. Traffic on Sunday mornings is no problem and it is about a 30 minute drive to LAX. Just grab a cab or shuttle at the pier. Enjoy your cruise.

PS; we have a ton of pictures of Mariner, just click the link in the signature.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm excited to view the pictures as we haven't been on the Mariner. But have been on her sister ship the Voyager.

You are welcome, Mariner is similar to Voyager, but we did notice some differences.

I really wouldn't suggest it. You're cutting it too close, especially for LA! I used to live there, and yes, "normal" drive time from the port to LAX is 30 minutes - HOWEVER that's on the 405, the worst freeway in LA. On any given day at any given time it can come to a complete standstill and that drive can easily take, over an hour, even approach 2 hours.

Then there's the nightmare that is LAX - traffic can back up there too and it can take 1/2 hour to get to your terminal. Once you get to the terminal it can take more than an hour to get through security - with out a doubt one of the worst airports in the US.

And you're assuming that the ship docks and disembarks passengers ontime, no guarantee there either.

Lydia

ps. If Long Beach airport is an option for whatever airline you're flying - do it! It's a breeze, it's a small 8 gate airport and a much more reliable traffic flow to and from. The airlines that serve LGB are Alaska, Delta, Jet Blue, Us Airways

We're on a cruise on the Mariner out of LA in the fall. Do you think a 12:30 flight back home at the end of the cruise is feasible? Thanks for your help.

I think that a 12:30 flight after a Mariner sailing is a very sensible plan.

We have made a 12:30 flight twice without any problem, and actually have a flight booked again in April and also October - same flight - Delta Airlines.

Would recommend a couple of things, however. Agree with what everyone said about the drive, traffic, etc. I think Sunday morning travel helped. Each time we have done this we have decided not to do the shuttle - did not want to wait around. We found cab fare versus personal car (Go Sedan booked through Prime Time Shuttle) worked very well for us - the car was sitting there and whisked us out of the terminal in no time at all.

We also did the luggage valet program, although we could have probably walked off with our bags. We requested the earliest of departure off ship - so we were able to exit with the walk offs.

All that being said, the delays were definitely at the airport. Having done the luggage valet program meant we could go straight to the security lines. Each time they have been long - however, we are premium elite flyers and can go through a special gate - missed a lot of the lines.

I think is is definitely doable - just be aware that you need to clear the ship ASAP - the delays might be at the airport. I would not wait around for a shuttle - I would put the extra money into a cab or car and get to the airport. Once at the airport get to the gate - if you want to eat/drink/buy a book, etc. do it after you are settled in at the gate!

Hope that helps.

Ics, Long Beach airport is about 14 miles from the pier, vs. 19 for LAX. It doesn't seem like much, but the traffic to LAX is usually heavier. On a Sunday morning, however, it should be fine in either direction (you go south on the 405 to get to LGB, north to go to LAX).

But LGB is a great little airport - there are only 47 flights in & out daily, so it's quite possible (although I don't advise it) to get to the airport 45 minutes before your flight and make it through security with time to spare (assuming you've checked in online and have carryon luggage only, which you probably won't). Even with checked baggage, you can get there 90 minutes ahead and probably not have any worries. I fly in & out of LGB whenever the price and schedule are right.:)

I think a 12:30 flight from LAX is fine, though.

Wow, thanks for the info Alexat2. How far a drive is LGB from the pier?

Less than 10 miles. 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic. Pacific Coast Highway (not a "highway") to Lakewood Blvd, or 710 to South 405 exit Lakewood Blvd. (longer mileage wise but few stop lights).

fyi - lax is about 25 miles.

Lydia

google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Port+of+Los+Angeles&daddr=LGB&hl=en&geocode=FaKqAgIdAXfz-Ckj9S5lrjfdgDGlg3KwcmSP2A%3BFTUHBAIdeEL1-Cn1n7E_MTLdgDGfUOjXQVXRMg&mra=ls&sll=33.779433,-118.165512&sspn=0.210599,0.390358&ie=UTF8&ll=33.780574,-118.158646&spn=0.210596,0.390358&z=12

Archived