Flight time from Venice disembarkation?

Whippets

We arrive in Venice at 6 AM and would try to be early leaving the ship. There is a 10:10 flight from Venice airport and I wondered if that would be possible? Hoping some of you that have been through the Venice airport would be able to give any advice. This will be on a Thursday, Nov. 11th traveling on RCI Vision of the Seas. I would arrange for a taxi or driver to be there to pick us up. Any thoughts? Don't want to wait until the next day to come home.

I haven't flown out of Venice since January 2008, so my experience isn't the most recent.

However, I would not want to be at the airport any less than two hours before a flight, even one that travels within the Schengen countries. Since the cab ride takes about a half hour from the port to the airport, you have to decide if you can be in the cab no later than 7:30 AM; preferably no later than 6:30 AM. If you (and your cruise line) think that it's reasonable for you to be off the ship, with your luggage, by that time, then go for it. It sounds pretty tight to me.

We arrive in Venice at 6 AM and would try to be early leaving the ship. There is a 10:10 flight from Venice airport and I wondered if that would be possible? Hoping some of you that have been through the Venice airport would be able to give any advice. This will be on a Thursday, Nov. 11th traveling on RCI Vision of the Seas. I would arrange for a taxi or driver to be there to pick us up. Any thoughts? Don't want to wait until the next day to come home.

Where are you flying to?

Thanks for your comments.

We are returning to the States, Charlotte, NC. My concerns is how long it might take us to get through security or whatever else may be required. We will have a carry on suitcase each (no luggage to check) and don't know if we can print our boarding passes ahead of time on the internet of the ship like we can do in the states. We may be flying US Airways as their flight is at 10:10AM and most of the other flights are at 6:45 AM and would not work.

I suspect that the reason Earl asked where you are flying to was to determine if your first stop would be within the Schengen countries, because if it is, that eliminates one step in the exit process at Venice (passport control). Traveling within the Schengen countries is akin to traveling domestically.

The US Air routing goes first to Frankfurt, I believe, before heading to Philadelphia, so you would not go through passport control until Frankfurt, saving a few moments at Venice. When I flew from Venice a couple of years ago we went first to Milan before Newark, and so followed a similar process.

This time savings (could be a little as five minutes or as much as a half hour) might make you a little more comfortable about the risk of being able to make the flight, but I would still want to be the first passenger off the ship and on my way to the airport.

I suspect that the reason Earl asked where you are flying to was to determine if your first stop would be within the Schengen countries, because if it is, that eliminates one step in the exit process at Venice (passport control). Traveling within the Schengen countries is akin to traveling domestically.

The US Air routing goes first to Frankfurt, I believe, before heading to Philadelphia, so you would not go through passport control until Frankfurt, saving a few moments at Venice. When I flew from Venice a couple of years ago we went first to Milan before Newark, and so followed a similar process.

This time savings (could be a little as five minutes or as much as a half hour) might make you a little more comfortable about the risk of being able to make the flight, but I would still want to be the first passenger off the ship and on my way to the airport.

Euro cruiser is correct. Flights into the US take more time than elsewhere. Because of the underwear guy on Christmas day, the US has imposed an extra layer of security for checks on carry on luggage and personal scans or pat downs. I flew Venice-Frankfort Vancouver last year and cleared boarding and security in Venice in 8 minutes. Vancouver -Hawaii took 45 minutes during the Olympics (lots of extra staff) However I would check with your airline re flights to N.C. They will err on the conservative side. The speed in Venice will depend on how many large ships arrive and how many passengers stay over. Frankfort is a very efficient airport. Beware, there are new restrictions on the size of carry on suitcases. Enforcement of these regs. seems to be hit and miss. All in, I think you will be fine but no guarantee. Planes are delayed for all kinds of reasons. 2 weeks ago, an Air Canada plane was delayed out of vancouver because most of the passengers wouldn't board until the gold medal hockey game was over.

Enforcement of these regs. seems to be hit and miss

I think this is true everywhere, which makes predicting how long security will take such a hit-or-miss proposition. Newark airport almost never asks for the 3-3-1 liquids thing, while Peoria is a stickler about it. Two years ago I flew from Frankfurt to Bordeaux for a business trip, carrying nothing but a briefcase, and was pulled aside and frisked. There's just no way to know.

Thanks Euro Cruiser and Earl. I am feeling a bit better now! We need to be back home the day we leave the ship and I was afraid that might not happen.

Yes US Airways goes to Frankfurt and then on to Philly and ultimately Charlotte. I have a little over an hour in Frankfort which I would think would give me enough time to go through passport control (??)

I saw a great price on these tickets and wanted to book them now in case the fare goes up later on.

Thanks again for your input.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be sailing on the Vision of the Seas in Oct 2010. All flights from Venice to Raleigh, NC (Routing is Venice, Vienna, Toronto, Raleigh) were early morning so we decided to spend the night in Venice. Does anyone have any recommendations which hotel we should book - our flight from Venice is at 8:05am. And transportation from the cruise port to the hotel and hotel to the airport. Also what time should we arrive at the airport? Any ideas on the cost?

Thanks in advance.

In your position I would book the Marriott Courtyard at the airport. Normally I would recommend staying in the city center, but not with that early flight. You can leave your luggage for the day at the train station, spend the day in Venice, and the take a water taxi or Alilaguna to the airport hotel in the evening, allowing you some time to see this wonderful city. The hotel is very nice, very reasonably priced, and has a free shuttle in the morning to the terminal. I was really happy that I took this tip from fellow CC's when I was in Venice last year.

Cathy

Archived