Best place to stand for picture taking when sailing out of NYC?

moopdog

Excited to be sailing out of NYC, as none of my family has ever seen the Statue of Liberty. I assume we'll sail right past in on the Gem this Saturday. Any tips or well-kept secrets for where to claim a prime spot for viewing the skyline on our sailaway?? Thanks!:)

Excited to be sailing out of NYC, as none of my family has ever seen the Statue of Liberty. I assume we'll sail right past in on the Gem this Saturday. Any tips or well-kept secrets for where to claim a prime spot for viewing the skyline on our sailaway?? Thanks!:)

Forward on the starboard side is the best location for the Statue of Liberty...unless you have your own balcony.

Well, we were lucky...we had a balcony on the starboard side...so we had our own private photography studio! Didn't have to deal with the crowds on the pool deck.

The plastic may ruin the view at certain points...maybe the sports deck would be good?

I preferred a spot where I could access both side of the ship, as you start off with the Manhattan skyline on the port side and then you have Lady Liberty coming into view on the starboard side. If you stay on your starboard balcony, you will miss the great Manhattan skyline

NCL%20Dawn%20011109%20Pano%204.JPG

I'd get up as high on the ship as I can to be able to walk around like others said. I have sailed 3 times out of NYC, so for me - I won't be fighting for a spot on the deck lol. The skyline is incredible as you sail away though...Enjoy:D

I would get as high up as possible as early as possible. Take a picture of the NYC Skyline then make your way to the other side. The weather is supposed to be beautiful on Saturday, I'm sure the decks will be packed.

Have fun.

Be topside.

Do not plan dinner during sail away and miss this.

I agree 100% with you on this one, GC.

DW and I have an aft balcony for our first NYC cruise. Do you think that is a good position to view the sites, or will we be past the sites and miss the better view?

My personal opinion is I would not have given up our Aft balcony for anything when we sailed out of NY. I felt like we had the best view of everything. I do have to say though there are some that would argue the same for a Forward balcony. I'm just very partial to the Aft. 8-)

Even though being from NY, sailing out of NY harbor is always a thrill.

I agree with those that say get as high up as possible. Forget sitting on you balcony as you will miss many of the special things that makes sailing out on NY so special. As no one has mentioned it, but if you are up as high as possible you will have a spectacular view as you sail under the Verrazano Bridge. Depending on the ship you are on, sometimes it seems as if you won't have room to even clear it. It is just an unforgettable sight.

Cheers

Len

A lot of passengers forget about the Outdoor Garden Cafe at the back of the ship. You can see a lot from there as well. When it comes time to get higher, you walk up the outdoor stairs to the higher deck.

Another option is the freestyle deck I think two flights above the pool deck forward for a more 360 degree view.

On our last sailing we had an AF balcony at the stern and had great views as well out of the wind. We kept the television on to the channel that shows the bow/front of ship so we knew when to go upstairs a few flights for the Verazzano bridge.

Have a great trip!

coka

We were as high as we could go and it seemed as though we could reach up and touch the Verrazano Narrows Bridge after passing the Statue of Liberty. Even though it was very hazy when we sailed down the Hudson, it was a complete thrill. Do not miss it by being inside!

If it's inclement weather and you don't have a balcony, keep in mind that the first two windows in the pool area (either end) on both sides slide open for unobstructed picture taking. Sometimes it's handy to remember this when it's very windy as well. This was at least true on the the ships I've sailed so far.

You will have a gorgeous day for sail away. It's going to be 72 degress and sunny tomorrow.

In addition to the skyline and Lady Liberty, DO NOT miss sailing under the Verrazano Bridge. Be up on the top deck as you go under and you'll feel like you can almost reach out and touch it.

Archived